QANTASforever

Security Really Lacking In Sydney...

Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:26 pm

Like - OMG I can't believe how slack security has been around Sydney lately - especially considering the current situation. I don't care if the Prime Minister is in Canberra, I shouldn't be allowed to take this photo without the permission or even knowledge of security. Imagine if my camera was something else:

Me, my wife and two baby girls live near the government compound and I have grave fears for our security. If cars are simply allowed to park right outside the fence and the presence of security is minimal to say the most - then I'm not sure if I feel safe where I am.

Not to mention the fact that yesterday (in a test of security) a tv news reporter with a film crew made it all the way up to the prime ministers office door in sydney before being stopped by federal police.

And of course - the whole opera house fiasco!: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/18/1047749763708.html

What kind of city have I returned to??

Get tough on security Sydney!!

QANTASFOREVER
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

RE: Security Really Lacking In Sydney...

Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:26 pm

Where do you think you are?

ADG

avt007

Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:59 pm

It seems to me like you are overreacting. Don`t let the media stampede you into a panic. Don`t get stressed out worrying over things that are not in your control, and more importantly, things that are very unlikely to happen.

QANTASforever

Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:44 pm

hmm, pics not working sorry.

Well - I took two photos of Kirribilli house through the gates and was not approached at all by security, bron.

QANTASFOREVER

QANTASforever

Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:01 pm

(anyone know where I can put my pics up so I can link them back to this thread?)

Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:55 pm

So what Blake? I can walk into Parliament house .. what's your point?

ADG

aloges

Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:24 pm

Visitors can enter the glass cupola of the German Parliament's house... Oh my god!

I hope QANTASFOREVER is being ironic.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

QANTASforever

Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:10 am

Well, it was just an observation.

I thought that in the context of the current international situation that there would have been a greater security presense in official government residences and also at other government buildings. Am I being unreasonable by questioning the current relaxed security at landmarks?

I understand that people are allowed to go into the German parliament roof - but are you put through some kind of security beforehand?

My only concern was that cars are allowed to park very close to Admiralty and Kirribilli house and people are allowed to approach the premises without some kind of security approval.

And ADG, I'm not excusing parliament house from this either. I think that x-ray machines and metal detectors have a place in the foyer of our nations parliament.

After all, a stich in time.....

QANTASFOREVER

Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:32 am

Blake,

There has been no viable threat to Kirribilli House. The only threat we have is from protestors who are, at times, out of control.

But you have to ask yourself .. in the big scheme of things and considering what he's done, do you really care if someone gets into Kiribilli House?

Can't say I do.

ADG

Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:19 pm

Guys,

We have the UK + Italian consulates in our office tower and besides the permanent security guards crawling all over the place - the only beefing up of security I saw was for those pesky *No War* protesters in the city yesterday - they locked down our building and we couldn't leave for half an hour.

mb

QANTASforever

Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:49 pm

ADG:

But you have to ask yourself .. in the big scheme of things and considering what he's done, do you really care if someone gets into Kiribilli House?

If you lived in less than a 500m radius from the place, perhaps you would be as concerned as I am.

Q4E

Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:46 pm

No Blake,

I don't let the boogymen under my bed frighten me. I live in Canberra and if I had your attitude i'd not leave my house....

ADG