ovelix

Embarrassing Bush Video

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:23 am

He was preparing for his speech about the actual bombing start. He was joking with the tech staff, he was joking about his hair, a hair cutter was cutting lose hair. He was making funny faces, broad smiling, eye-playing and things like that.

What kind of man is this??? He was about to declare the official starting of the war. Yet he was smiling, happy and light mood.

WHAT KIND OF MAN IS THIS???? PEOPLE ARE DYING AND HE IS JOKING ABOUT HIS HAIR!!

PATHETIC!!

(The video was broadcasted in Greece tonight, it was taken by foreign news agencies)

Kostas

galaxy5

RE: Embarrassing Bush Video

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:24 am

Um So were is this supposed video?

Or are you just making this up?
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

TWFirst

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:27 am

People deal with stress in different ways. I'm not a fan of Bush's, but I certainly do not think he is taking this war or his responsibilities lightly. He is not a good public speaker, and he was most likely unintentionally using humor to calm his nerves.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

KROC

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:29 am

What does does laughing and joking before he announces the start of the war have to do with anything to begin with? Oh I know, just another attempt to knit pick Bush.

Skyway1

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:33 am

Gimme a friggggggggggggggggggin break!

I think if you had any shred of credibility left Kostas, you just flushed it down the toilet!  Big thumbs up

Chris
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

Marcus

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:36 am

Any link to the video?

Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

cwapilot

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:37 am

Proving once again, some people will never give up on their Bush-bashing. What a bunch of whining babies.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:39 am

Bush-bashing? oh please, this is supposed to be funny.

Let us see! There may be a link on Kazaa or something.

Lighten up. Just because a vocal amount of people are anti-American doesn't mean that every post is.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

L-188

Sometimes those videos are great...

Remember Ronald Reagan's, "We begin bombing in five minutes"

He said that before a press conference because somebody asked for a mike check.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ovelix

Skyway, what's your problem with me?

The video was broadcasted by the biggest and most respected TV channel in Greece. If you like to question their credibility, do so.
Kostas

JetService

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:40 am

People clown around in tense situations ALL THE TIME!!! That is a very common form of stress relief. Good GAWD!!!!
"Shaddap you!"

Skyway1

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:48 am

Skyway, what's your problem with me?

I have no problems with you, I could really care less.....but I have a problem when a dumb statement like this is made.....

WHAT KIND OF MAN IS THIS???? PEOPLE ARE DYING AND HE IS JOKING ABOUT HIS HAIR!!

PATHETIC!!

Who cares if you like George Bush or not, but having a light hearted moment to ease tensions doesn't mean the guy is totally pathetic.

Give it a rest for all of our sanities.

Chris

KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

N766UA

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:51 am

I'd much rather have a light-hearted president than one with a metal rod up his ass. People with a sense of humor do much better under pressure than those that don't have one--- I guess you're one of the latter, eh?
This Website Censors Me

Marcus

Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:01 am

And people without a brain do great at reading teleprompters

Any link to this video?

Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

cwapilot

Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:09 am

Given the person posting it, it wasn't meant to be funny? People without a brain are also good at ignoring the content of initial posts...doesn't sound like joking to me.

Also, name one world leader who does not deliver speeches using a telepromptor or a printed text when giving a major presentation?
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

JetService

Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:11 am

Marcus, name one president that didn't use a teleprompter when available to him.  Insane
"Shaddap you!"

yyz717

Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:18 am

Hey Ovelix, how do you feel about Saddam gassing his own people? Isn't this a bigger issues than W's hair?

(Unless you're just anti-American and hence EVERYTHING Bush does is bad).

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Eric505

Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:21 am

It's amazing how much foreigners care about our President. Go get a life, and quit worrying about US. Bush-bashing is becoming cliche.
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:28 am

Talk about over-sensitivity.

Me want the video.

N79969

Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:40 am

"The video was broadcasted by the biggest and most respected TV channel in Greece. If you like to question their credibility, do so."

If that is the basis of condemning President Bush and the fact you are journalist just strongly suggests to me that the Greek media is a big toilet. Makes Fox News or CNN look like BBC.

ovelix

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:02 am

N799

Thanks for the kind words. Please try not to be so polite, it may hurt you.  Smile

Greek media are always presenting ALL sides of a conflict. In the US you have the media that many of your countrymen described in http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/356460/6/

As for GWB himself, I find it outrageous that when the President of the US is about to officially declare the start of war, he seems so light-hearted. Well, what did he do when he finished his Wednesday's speech? Threw confetti?

When you are about to talk to your nation about a war, about lives that will be lost, about a conflict that was the last of the choices, how would you look like?

I don't have a link to the video. It's not an official one, it's what the camera was recording just before the announcement. Somebody sneaked it out I suppose, I don't know how.

I would never post something like this if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes in a respected TV station, as I did.

Kostas

[Edited 2003-03-20 23:04:24]

[Edited 2003-03-20 23:05:14]

N79969

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:13 am

Ovelix,

Yes, a portion of our media stinks. I would say the same is true for most countries, ncluding that "city on a hill": Greece- arguably the most backward country in Western Europe.

I am sure there is also a Greek TV station that is portraying this war as just and necessary to: 1. eliminate the threat of Iraq's WMD and 2. end Saddam's reign of horror. Let me know when you flip to that channel, will you please?

You are making a mountain of something lesser than a mole hill. I would say that was a difficult speech to make. It is natural for people to do things to relax and to avoid nervousness from setting in before making a speech. Some people joke around, some people pace, others may sit stone faced. It's not like he told a joke in the middle of his speech.

I guess we Americans will never reach the level of decency of Greeks.

captaingomes

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:14 am

I want to see this video too!!! I believe it was once when Bush was running for the election, and he thought the microphone was off, and he said "there's (name of journalist from the New York Times), he's a major league a$$hole." Now THAT was funny!

But please, a little humour goes a long way to relieve stress in tough times. I'm sure Bush is under a lot of stress at this point, nice to see he can lighten up once in a while.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

N79969

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:14 am

Ovelix,

Perhaps my remark was over the top but it probably was not. For a journalist, you do not even bother with the pretense of objectivity.

ryanb741

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:15 am

Well at least they didn't catch him whacking off Big grin
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

ovelix

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:28 am

For a journalist, you do not even bother with the pretense of objectivity

I am not working here, buddy. I am not writing an article. Right here I present my own opinion as everyone else does. And you may noticed that I didn't mention galaxy's military status when he suggested that I made this up, not skyway's profile where a lady gives you the finger when he said I threw my credibility in the toilet. I stay on the facts. Please, spare me the personal attacking.

Some people may find GWB's attitude irritating. Some others not. I am one of those who find it irritating. Does this qualify me to the "anti-american" category? For some members, yes. For some other, no. It works both ways.

And, note, I didn't call any names here for any member and I got mostly insults. I am happy to read responses like TWFirst's and Jetservices in this thread, they show how one can disagree without insulting.

Kostas

N79969

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:41 am

Yet you expect to be taken seriously when you take a trivial detail of a person's behavior and then extrapolate that into a sign moral depravity. Sure, you are entitled to your opinion as am I. However, I think there is a mutual expectation of being reasonable in any discussion. An expectation that you violate time and time again anytime the United States is involved.

I have read many criticisms of GWB- many of them harsh but fair. I cannot say that about a single one of your posts. Not one. As long as you spew idiotic remarks about this country, I will challenge you on them.

You say that the Greek media presents all sides to an issue. Do you really expect me to believe that there is a major media outlet in your country that is portraying the US in a positive light right now?

wietse

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:41 am

It's amazing how much foreigners care about our President. Go get a life, and quit worrying about US.

as long as he keeps his hands to the US, we dont have to worry about him...

-W
Wietse de Graaf

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:49 am

www.bushisms.com

Cheers

Anders Nilsson

toady

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:54 am

Wietse, this is the President who, from the moment he was elected, has been labelled "the most isolationist US President in recent history".
Us non-Americans seem to be very happy to accuse GWB of not giving a shit about the rest of the world yet, at the same time, accuse him of interfering too much. We can't have it both ways!

Anyway, it hardly matters who's in charge of the US - it could be Bush, Gore or whoever - that country will continue to uphold the finest values and will continue to be a friend to freedom and democracy.
I suggest that all citizens of democratic nations take a long hard look at GWB and the US - and then tell me if they're really so bad after all.

ovelix

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:57 am

Just to respond to the people who said I made it up:

I took the following text from the Usenet. It proves that the footage was actually aired.

One a slightly funny note though was watching Euro News on Sky and
instead of like every other news station which had reporters till the
President started to talk this one featured the preparations for the Speech
which involved Bush having his hair combed for him (several times), laughing
and joking and then taking a huffy fit like a teenager at some guy

Did anyone else see prior to George Bush's TV address earlier, he was shown on TV (BBC 24) being made up and apparently practicing his speech. Was this intentional, as it hardly made him look good

Sitting in the Oval office, Mr Bush was seen to smile and have his hair fixed by some woman assing around him as he practised his lines

Kostas

wietse

Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:59 am

And he wasnt able to wipe that smile off his face during the speech...
Wietse de Graaf

ovelix

Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:18 am

N799

Yet you expect to be taken seriously when you take a trivial detail of a person's behavior...

It's not just a person. It's the President of the United States one minute before he announces the official start of war.

...and then extrapolate that into a sign moral depravity

Why isn't? Maybe deep in his heart he believes that he is doing the right thing. And he feels happy for it. Maybe he is just trying to get rid of the stress. But you don't smile when you are about to declare a war, do you?

Sure, you are entitled to your opinion as am I. However, I think there is a mutual expectation of being reasonable in any discussion. An expectation that you violate time and time again anytime the United States is involved

I am just pointing facts. Some time ago I asked anyone to prove that I am a liar. As it came out I am not. I present facts. And then I tell my opinion. That's what forums are for.

I have read many criticisms of GWB- many of them harsh but fair. I cannot say that about a single one of your posts. Not one. As long as you spew idiotic remarks about this country, I will challenge you on them

Please don't be unfair to me. I criticize your government and I rarely talk about members. My posts are harsh but I never lie. Many people find my remarks valuable. If you find them idiotic prove them idiotic with a smart post of yours. You are always welcome to challenge my posts but it's not fair to attack myself, my country and my profession.

You say that the Greek media presents all sides to an issue. Do you really expect me to believe that there is a major media outlet in your country that is portraying the US in a positive light right now?

Yes. Many. We know that Saddam is a monster but we don't have a war to sell.

Kostas

N202PA

Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:40 am

I have to agree with the majority of posters on this thread. If you have time to nit-pick every facial expression the President has to the Nth degree, you have way too much time on your hands. Also, perhaps a bit more concern for what actually matters - ie, the campaign in Iraq - is in order, instead of bashing Bush.

Staffan

Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:44 am

"Also, perhaps a bit more concern for what actually matters - ie, the campaign in Iraq - is in order, instead of bashing Bush."

I don't care what Bush has for breakfast or what he does before he goes live, but maybe these people have realized today that their opinions and concerns about that campaign don't matter at all? So why care?

Staffan

MaxPowers

Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:04 am

Singapore_Air said:
"Bush-bashing? oh please, this is supposed to be funny.

Let us see! There may be a link on Kazaa or something.

Lighten up. Just because a vocal amount of people are anti-American doesn't mean that every post is. "

How about you tell the original poster to lighten up.

Totally lame.

Max Powers.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:09 am

"How about you tell the original poster to lighten up."

Seems to me he is the only person who is.

727LOVER

Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:03 am

I am NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Bush fan, but THIS is absurd!!
Love Trumps Hate

apathoid

Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:03 am

Get over yourself Ovary. We are going to fight...and we are going to win...and in the end, we will be proven right. Sadam proved himself to be a liar and proved the UN to be a joke when he lobbed the Scuds at Kuwait last night. Bush was right all along. Now, I don't expect you to apologize, but you could at least give your mindless tirades against our President a rest for awhile.

Alpha 1

Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:19 pm

Good job, Kostas. Way to make a mountain out of a molehill. Everone deals with a tense situation in different ways. Some clam up, and get introspective; some just get very intense; some crack jokes, or try to be jovial. Why the hell do you give a shit what Bush was like before the speech.

What kind of person are YOU to condemn someone like that, Ovelix? Are you so smitten with loathing of this man, and his country, that you have to TRY (and fail) to make a big deal out of this.

Why don't you grow up and find something really important to get pissed off at the U.S. about.

N79969

Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:59 pm

Ovelix,

I did not call you a liar. What I am saying though you are incredibly petty and your opinions often do not merit serious consideration or thought of any kind. Perhaps he ate 2 lbs of beans for lunch and had gas. And was laughing at his own farts. I don't know and I do not care. But you seem to imply that he is nearly stoic or even gleeful despite the grim nature of his speech. What you suggest ludicrous. If you take this personally, that is your own fault.

I do not attack journalism. But I attack the utter nonsense that you consistently post and defend as factual reporting. So long as you substantiate your claims by stating that it was on a respected Greek news outlet, I can only assume that the Greek news outlet hold views as asinine as yours.

Please spare me the nonsense that you actually like something about my country.

MD-90

Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:03 pm

Reagan had some great lines:

My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans.

Fascism's private ownership, private enterprise, but total government control and regulation. Well, isn't this the liberal philosophy?

I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.

MD-90

Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:06 pm

And a personal favorite of mine

I will never apologize for the United States of America, ever. I don't care what the facts are.

George Bush, Chicago campaign stop, 27 August 1988

[Edited 2003-03-21 05:06:51]

TWAL1011

Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:21 pm

airhead711

Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:29 pm

Embarassing?? I think it's funny as hell.

We are kicking major Ass over there....wooohooo

ovelix

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:56 pm

Maybe it's my fault. It's my fault that I criticized your president in time of war. When a nation is at war it's very natural that any criticizing upon the leadership is automatically considered bashing.

Aplha, I don't have anything against the country or the people of USA. I just don't like the way this president and his government and advisors act and behave in foreign policy issues.

N799, from your posts I have a similar idea about you as you have about me. But I never insulted you.

Kostas

GC

Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:58 pm

This is pathetic. Bush was probably under great stress with the lives of hundreds of thousands of people under his responsibility. The staff in the office filming were no doubt feeling the stress too. So what, he lightened the mood, put himself and everyone at ease. Do you expect him to stop being human and put on a serious presidential front 24hrs a day.......remember he's just a man, who at least shows his humanity.

Until you have that level of responsibility don't critisise how someone, who has, conducts themselves privately (or it would have been). Because you have no idea how you would react.

zauberfloete

Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:36 pm

Mr. Obelix,
we all know the intention of your post.

OK, Bush made some jokes with his hairdresser before going on speech.
What is so terrible about it?
Because Bush was going to declare war on Saddam, he should have declared war on his hairdresser?
I don't know who the hairdresser of the US president is, but I am relatively sure that he deserves a smile from his boss now and then.

Your intention is bashing the US president.
You want to draw a certain picture of him that underlines your personal political opinion.
Be honest, this is the single only reason you write articles here about him. You fanatically hate Bush for political reasons, and it shows in all your articles.
Don't act like if you are neutral because you are not.

ovelix

Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:45 pm

Well, OK, I can understand him being happy. He was so relieved to know that the war he was planning and expecting has actually started that he couldn't help laughing.

I am free to belittle the US President as long as he and his administration belittles the rest of the world, it's allies, the UN, the NATO and every collective organization it's a member of.

I mentioned the video and someone said I made this up. I said it's pathetic to joke a minute before you declare war and some said "yeah, so what?".

Please understand that I have nothing against USA people. And I don't hate Bush. Hate is too strong a feeling to waste it on such a miserable man. USA and the Presidency is one thing, the President himself is another. I don't like your President, the way he acts in regards of EU and the ME and I don't like Rumsfeld to say that the countries not following his doctrine are "irrelevant". Bush's internal affairs are your concern, I never wanted to have a say in your domestic issues.

As long as GWB and his hawks have no problem for people to hate them as long as they are afraid of them I am against Bush's foreign policy.

And I stand on my remark of him being pathetic. I can't imagine FDR joking and making funny faces with the technicians just before he declared war on Japan.

Kostas

ovelix

Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:35 pm

Here is the news report of this, with the official respond.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1027-2003Mar20.html

I expect N799 to take back his comments about the greek media, (big toilet) the video was broadcasted live to hundreds of millions of viewers in 200 countries around the world.

Kostas