mhsieh

African-American Names

Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:58 am

I would like to find out more about African-American names.
There are many interesting names like Lakiesha, Lashaundra, Sheniqua, Shaquille. I am wondering whether there is some origin for these names.
Are they from West Africa or some other ancient civilization?
"La" seems to be quite common. Is that French or Creole? Are there meanings to these names?
What are some other intersting names you've come across?

jaysit

RE: African-American Names

Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:05 am

A lot of the names for women especially are Arabic or Muslim in origin, reflecting the Muslim cultural influences in much of West and Northern Africa. For instance, Aisha Tyler (the VJ on TV) has a first name that is derived from the wife of Muhammed, the prophet, Ayesha. Shaquille is derived from Shakeel, another Muslim name.

However, I don't know where names like LaShondra come from.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

JetService

Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:11 am

A lot start by combining different names together, usually in honor of multiple elders.
"Shaddap you!"

lubcha132

Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:01 pm

i always wondered where names like that came from...what about Tyrone?

FlyingTexan

Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:28 pm

...what about Tyrone?

I had a classmate named Tyrone. Last name Chulazes. Tyrone Chulazes.

My friend works at a Public Library and they had a chick there doing community service named Cleandressa. (proper spelling).

JR

[Edited 2003-03-21 06:29:18]
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

AWspicious

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:24 pm

This is a joke, right....?
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

Hepkat

Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:15 pm

I'm black American and I can tell you that many of these names are simply made up. You have to understand that in the black community there's a great fascination with Africa and many parents give their children these exotic sounding names, believing that they're "African". Never mind that 99% of these people have never been to a single country in Africa, can't locate the different countries on a map or are unaware that Africa does not comprise of one culture.

Since being in Austria I've met many, many people from different parts of Africa, and I can tell you, our American culture and theirs is as different as night and day. We have absolutely NOTHING in common except color of skin, which leads me to believe these black Americans have no idea what they're talking about when they spout of African this or African that.

mhsieh

Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:19 am

I know of many African-American women with the name "Lakiesha" or "Laquisha."
Is this a name with some ancient origin like Mary?
Does anyone know any African-American women named Kaitlyn or Ashley? It's interesting how some names are only taken by white people.
On the other hand, do you know any white "Lakiesha"?

AWspicious

Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:08 am

Ebonics strikes again
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

srbmod

Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:39 am

I recently read an article about how Afro-Centric names actually hurt potential job seekers. The article mentioned a joint research project by MIT and the University of Chicago that sent out a number of phony resumes to various companies (half with Euro-centric names and half with Afro-centric names) and the number of responses on the Afro-centric named resumes were significantly less than on one for say a John Smith with the same qualifications. The author of the article, who is black, said that Afro-centric names started to emerge during the late 1960s and the early-to-mid 1970s as a result of the Black Panther Party and of the miniseries "Roots".