NWA
Topic Author

About Fox News

Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:11 pm

May I ask why mnay people say Fox News is not a reliable news source? I would more than like for you people that dismiss Fox news reports to give me reasons. I would like to know, because the same stuff CNN says is on Fox. I would like a reason please. Thanks!
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

Shawn Patrick

RE: About Fox News

Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:13 pm

As far as I'm concerned, FOX's news isn't flawed, but the way it's presented can be obnoxious at times.

[Edited 2003-03-24 07:14:16]

Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:18 pm

I think that there is a definite slant in media coverage. Fox slants to the right, CNN et. al. slant to the left. However, there comes a definite point where you loose credibility as a journalist if you do not report facts, and that applies to every news source. In fact, I even caught Tom Brokaw countering a clip from a war protester. "Those are the facts, ma'am" is what he said.

So, do I think Fox news is so biased that they lose credibility? No, definitely not. And the same goes for CNN, et. al., although I usually don't agree with their op-ed stuff.

Sometimes, you just can't spin.

Which brings up the point that, no matter what news coverage you are recieving, it is important to use critical thinking skills. "What are they trying to make me think, and what do they have to gain by doing so" are the criteria I use to judge. It usually works pretty well. So many people approach incoming news like sheep on pep-pills, rushing to form an opinion on incomplete information. It's better to approach things like a wise, patient, and methodical wolf.

'Speed

[Edited 2003-03-24 07:24:35]

Sabena 690

Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:49 pm

As well CNN as FOX are not reliable...

Both made already their huge mistakes in the past  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Amir

Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:58 pm

Of course every media is trying to bend the news in it's favor. This goes for all media worldwide inclduing the famous ones.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/359823/6/

Rgds
Amir

teva

Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:39 am

An example?
A French journalist was interviewed in NY, about the French position.
The FOX news "journalist" didn't agree. But instead of giving his position, he interrupted the French, saying "all what you say is wrong, you are stupid ", and then he cut the microphone of the French journalist and asked the question to a Brittish or American one.
Is it journalism or propaganda?
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:44 am

Feral Fox ....propaganda? NEVER!!

The biggest problem I have with Feral is that they try to make the news instead of reporting it. Opinions which differ from the right wing conservative hardline view are not welcome, and they will interrupt and chastise anyone with a view which is different from theirs.

But hey, they are atypical of the American news media. If you want a right wing trashy tabloid type news service, then tune into Feral Fox. If you want a news service which is FAIR AND BALANCED and with NO SPIN, then I suggest you turn it over to BBC World.

cedarjet

Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:48 am

Why would someone ask if Fox News is an unreliable source if they've seen it? I mean, it's SO biased (and SO low-brow) it takes my breath away. I like watching it, but not for news. It's entertaining occasionally and infuriating the rest of the time. NBC and ABC News are perhaps worse cos they are SO tame. American journalism is quite poor at the best of times, criticism of the gov't just doesn't seem to happen and I don't think it makes for a better society. At least Fox has an agenda.

I agree, if you want intelligently presented news without spin, check out BBC24.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

erj190

Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:55 am

There is a difference between FOX and CNN

CNN may broadcast self censored materials, FOX will broadcast right wing fanatical nationalistic and even racist points of view.

I defend the right of speech. And although I think stations like FOX really stink and are a dark shadow and shameful for America, I believe they have all the right to do whatever they want.

It is up to us, the audience to listen to as much sources as possible, and then form our own opinion.

If you look at Fox news and then change to another channel, then it's not that bad.

But if you tune on Fox and then just stay there because you like what they say, then it is clear that you will never be an informed person.

The credibility of Fox is the same I give to the Iraqi state TV. Even AL JAZEERA is more credible.

cedarjet

Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:00 am

AL JAZEERA is very balanced. It's the only Arab station that exists without any outside influence (ie the state, or whatever). That's why it is so highly respected, and why it is the station of choice for interviews with Colin Powell, Tony Blair, and of course Osama Bin Laden.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

heavymetal

Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:02 am

The day after the election last November Brit Hume on Fox News actually took credit for the network in helping the Republicans in their 02 victories.

If Dan Rather or CNN did that they'd be flogged by the right wing pundits.

'Fox News' is actually the Official Bush Press Agency.

N79969

Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:06 am

Dan Rather actually did some fund raising for the Democrats. That is a bit worse than editorializing during a broadcast.

Banco

Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:07 am

I saw them interview anti-war protestors in New York, and the questions they were putting were incredible. Now anyone with any intelligence knows that the arguments for this war are not clear cut, whichever view you ascribe to - it is quite simply a difficult issue. But the interviewer was openly criticising the protestors, asing "questions" like "Do you want to wait ANOTHER twelve years before taking action?" and "so you support Saddam Hussein then?". The interviewer then expressed amazement at the crowds hostile reaction to them. The simple fact is that there ARE strong arguments against this war, whch you may or may not agree with. But they do deserve airtime, and to reported respectfully and honestly.

Unbelievable. It is a flag waver pure and simple (note Old Glory in the top left hand corner), and an advocate of the war. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, everyone is allowed their opinions, but serious journalism demands a balanced approach and they don't have it.

The BBC is far from perfect, but is probably the only broadcaster to have a commitment to fair and balanced reporting written in to its charter, and of course it doesn't rely (in BBC World's case it helps of course) on funding from advertisers who may want to see a particular editorial line taken, whether overtly or not. It was notable, that during the Falklands War, the BBC was heavily criticised by the government for referring to British forces as "British" not "our". Equally, during the Kosovo campaign, the government criticised them for being too sympathetic to Belgrade. Naturally, this merely increased their reputation for impartiality and made the British Government look stupid.

As for CNN, well, I've actually been quite impressed with their relatively restrained approach, much better than in the past.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

teva

Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:30 am

I have to agree with the above posts. When I am travelling abroad, I watch BBC world for the news, CNN international for the luxury hotels commercials, and (when available) FOX news for the fun....
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

erj190

Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:52 am

Must agree with the posts on the quality of the BBC coverage.

Not that I am surprised. The quality of the BBC coverage is the one that the audiences are used to. But I am certain that it is not a station that people in the US use to watch regularly.

Actually, at an Hotel in Orlando, some years ago, I noted that I could not find any non American TV station on my set. There were Spanish speaking stations, even a station broadcasting in a language that I was unable to identify, but no overseas stations.

I sure would like to know how is it now. Which foreign stations do Americans have access to ?

heavymetal

Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:58 am

Dan Rather actually did some fund raising for the Democrats. That is a bit worse than editorializing during a broadcast

With respect En, that's like saying a Democratic dentist is comitting a graver sin giving to his party in his off hours than not using novicaine on his Republican patients! It'a about professionalism.
I mean the Fox News boss is Roger Ailes, who ran King George the First's Presidential campaign......based on your analogy, his credibility should be somewhere down around a snake's scrotum(which it is, but thats my opinion  Laugh out loud )

There are some basic journalistic rules about editorializing. It's called gatekeeping, and Fox makes no bones about how it gatekeeps. In fact it's its biggest selling point. It's simply a fact of the media....conservatives don't want to hear data that challenges their values. Period.

srbmod

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:02 am

Al-Jazerra makes Fox News look like CNN, they're so anti-Western biased. The majority of war coverage I've watched has been Fox News Channel because they seem to be doing a better job than CNN is this time, and at least their reporters didn't get kicked out like CNN's. CNN got so well-respected because during the '91 Gulf War Campaign, they were the only network that had people in the right places. Fast-forward to the '03 Campaign, Fox News (with help from UK sibling Sky News) is there, as are numerous other networks, some with virtually carte blanch access inside Iraq (Al-Jazerra, other Arab networks) in addition to CNN, the BBC, the CBC, and the major US networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox). Some of the best coverage had been on C-SPAN, which has shown live coverage from the BBC and the CBC, which don't have the American flag waving bias, and gives a different look at the war than the U.S. networks have provided.

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:12 am

Srbmod

Do you speak Arabic by any chance?

srbmod

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:16 am

I don't speak any Arabic; the only other language I know is German, and I've forgotten most of that.

NWA
Topic Author

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:16 am

CNN, the clinton news network. You think Fox is biased? Look at CNN. They are so far left it makes me sick.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:27 am

Fox news is just foolish statement after foolish statement after foolish statement.

ADG

heavymetal

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:29 am

Staight from Central Casting. I love it.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

JetService

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:32 am

I think they're all biased and they all suck. How's that?
"Shaddap you!"

cedarjet

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:34 am

Srbmod, without any Arabic, how do you know what the content on Al Jazeera is like? Let me tell you, it's pretty balanced. They certainly give equal time, with regular interviews (as I said earlier) with Blair, Powell et al. Freedom of speech in the ME should be applauded, right?

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:35 am

"Fox news is just foolish statement after foolish statement after foolish statement."

In other words: Baaaaaahh.... baaaahhh!

(Refer to reply #2 if you don't get it)

'Speed

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:36 am

Srbmod. If you don't speak any Arabic, then how do you know what Al Jazeera is all about? What you have heard of Al Jazeera is only a small portion of what they are about. Do you find it as any surprise that the BBC is assisting the station and guiding them on how to be successful. You have a variety of views present on Al Jazeera. Something which can't be said Feral.

Look at CNN. They are so far left it makes me sick.

You are right. CNN is so far left. So far left from the extreme right wing which is Feral Fox News. But in all, on a world basis, CNN is still in my mind a right of centre news service.

Amir

Att. Aviatsya

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:38 am

Hi Scotty,

i liked your question....  Wink/being sarcastic so many people judge al Jazeera and can't understand a word...

Of course there are times when Al Jazeera is a bit biased, but frankly and after spending several hours watching about 20 different American, German, Egyptian, UAE channels, i would rate it being quite fair and objective.

Regards
Amir

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:54 am

Thanks Amir.  Smile It does surprise how much people will criticise something when they have no idea of what is being said. I wouldn't go criticising a Hindi language news source, when I don't understand the language. Given, I don't speak Arabic either, but have enough knowledge on what is going on behind the scenes over there as to know what direction they are trying to portray; that being a moderate pan-Islamic news service.

To those who have been wondering what it on the Al Jazeera website at aljazeera.net, use this handy Arabic-English translation tool to see for yourself

http://tarjim.ajeeb.com/ajeeb/default.asp?lang=1

But you won't have to use that for long, if this is anything to go by:

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=local_news&month=march2003&file=local_news200303167538.xml

One would have hoped they would have it up and running already; as the biggest "news story" in the region is going down.

Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:06 am

Normal

The message fox sends to the world is that you are overzealous, unthinking arrogant idiots who are out for world domination.

If that's the way you want to be considered then they're doing a very good job.

ADG

Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:55 am

"...The message fox sends to the world is that you are overzealous, unthinking arrogant idiots who are out for world domination."

That sounds just like the Academy Awards.

'Speed

P.S. Just out of curiousity, have you ever seen Fox News?

Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:28 am

Normal,

Of course I have Normal .. in fact it may surprise you to know they run it live over here ....

ADG

N79969

Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:46 am

HM,

I think Rather compromised his professionalism severly by appearing and speaking at a Democratic fund raiser. I am not defending Fox News because I also think it crap. But I am not going to let Dan get away with his [R?]rather serious indiscretion. Rather is no democratic dentist.

Dan Rather is paid to view events objectively and to report them. That he chose to engage in politicking is frankly just as distasteful to me as some of the shenanigans that Fox tries to pass off as reporting.

heavymetal

Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:50 am

Dan Rather is paid to view events objectively and to report them.

I still fail to see a connection. Jimmy Buffet is an overt Democrat in his spare time. Does that make him sing fables of drunken debauchery with a distinctly leftist spin?

Rather HAS compromised his credibility at work....many times. But if a doctor is trained in a certain proceedure, his politics is , or should be, irrelevent (Think a right wing dentist findingly himself working on Michael Moore's root canal  Smile/happy/getting dizzy ) The same is true of journalists.

NWA
Topic Author

Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:03 am

ADG, I would love examples. PLease show me what fox says that others dont, I would love to hear it!

747-451

Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:12 am

"Rather HAS compromised his credibility at work....many times"

As has Peter Jennings, who should go back to Canada.

If I want fair and objective news, I'll watch Al-Jazeera  Insane or see a Michael Moore  Insane mockumentary.

heavymetal

Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:31 am

Try it. You may learn something.

747-451

Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:50 am

I have tried, but it is hard wading thru the piles of gas and hypocrisy from someone who profits very well from the "corporate American Media Complex" and profiting from the "gun manufacturers" by prostituting himself "ficticiously".... Yeah sure Al Jazeera isn't carried "yet" on AOHell Time Turner Warner whatever...

N79969

Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:04 am

HM.

Buffett is not responsible for...anything actually.

People depend on Dan Rather for information. A good portion of the news is political in nature. Fund raising for a political party taints his objectivity in my view.

I think fund raising for anybody other than a charity should be off-limits for journalists. Journalists occupy a special position of public trust in our society much like judges actually. Judges are not allowed to consort with parties whose case he or she is presiding over without the other being present. Similarly, I think journalists with blatant partisan biases taint their objectivity.

I think Rather very seriously compromised his professional credibilty by raising money for the democrats.

Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:16 am

NWA,

I shall take note of the actual wording but the issue that springs immediately to mind is the Sep 01 incident where they identified businesses (name AND addresses) that were accused of not allowing their staff to fly flags which resulted in physical attacks on the business which they then skited about.

All throught this conflict they have been making extremely derogatory statements about the French (and other) countries and they have been making statements that are so ridiculous that they are laughable.

Indeed, has any of your media stations told you that the US is NOT a signatory of any amendements to the Geneva Convention since 1955? Bet they haven't, but we're getting them on our media in Australia.

and if that idiot says "i've seen the video and it's disgusting" one more time I may fly over there put my arm down his throat and stop his heart!  Angry

747: it's childish to try and justify action by saying "but they do it". There is no suggestion that AJ is any more unbiased than Fox ..

ADG

Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:26 am

"Of course I have Normal .. in fact it may surprise you to know they run it live over here ...."

Nope. Just checking.

Oh, and just for the record, I happen to think Tony Snow is hilarious. And I have great respect for William Krystol, as well as Juan Williams (even though he slants differently politically.)

But then again, it's probably Sean Hannity that you don't like.

Hmmm... are you saying that you don't like Combs?

'Speed

Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:34 am

Oh, and one more thing: I don't think you all are using the term "feral" correctly. It means an animal that was once domesticated, but returned to the wild. Foxes aren't normally domesticated, so they could not be feral.

Now, feral dogs on the other hand... but it's not called the "Dog News Network" is it.

I guess the term "feral" just isn't as mean as you thought it was. Maybe you were going for "fecal"?

'Speed

airplay

Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:51 am

Many will interpret this as America bashing, but here it goes....

Here in Canada I have easy access to television news from around the world. I get several US network and news channels as well as international feeds via the CBC (Candian Broadcast Corporation).

All in all, the worst quality news broadcasts come from the US. They are typically biased, and very sensationalistic. Although every news cast is somewhat biased towards the interests of the country of origin, the US newscasts are very transparent in this regard in my opinion.

I tend to find the BBC does a much better job than the US channels when it comes to foreign and domestic affairs.

Again, in my opinion Canadian broadcast news is well balanced when it comes to telling the truth without the glitz factor, without pulling any punches even when it means national embarassment. Canadian news agencies seem to be very defensive about their credibility and try not to risk it by going soft on any country, including Canada.

When I watch the news about identical items on US then Canadian TV, it's almost like its a completely different story sometimes.

So..don't rely on any single news outlet. If you want to form an opinion look at several sources and for heaven's sake, don't restrict your research to TV. Go outside and read a newspaper once in awhile!

Smile

Hamfist

Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:04 pm

If FOX news is biased, it's only because it's about time someone came along to "correct" the almost exclusively left view of the news media in the U.S. While most of the news sources will report facts, you don't have to look far to see the slants. Take the Communist News Network(CNN) for example: if you look through their website, stories about the left are usually given a positive flavor while most stories with conservative leanings will usually have a few unflattering pictures and a negative tone.

Want an example? Go to cnn.com and type Trent Lott into their search engine and see what you get! OK, so now you're thinking "but hey, Trent Lott is a bigot and deserves all he gets." Well, once you've checked out a few of those articles, go back to the search engine and type in Jesse Jackson. Now here's a guy who has made a living as a blood-sucking leach on the body of the minorities in this country. He loves to stir the pot, often citing moral obligations, etc. Well, what happens when the world finds out Jesse's been taking a few pages from the Clinton book of cheap thrills and has a kid outside his marriage? Well, most of the stories you'll find about the "Reverend" don't mention his troubles...just his continued effort to inject his moral judgement in every social situation that might earn his next paycheck.

ADG/NormalSpeed

Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:34 pm

Strewth ADG, in regards to the sep, I think there must be a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock. I would try getting to the duck's guts, but I think it might turn out to be more of a dog's breakfast. Any chance you can explain the larrikinism behind true blue, dinky di Strine to the drongo? I would try, but I am flat out like a lizard drinking. So carn, avago. No worries!  Laugh out loud

Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:39 pm

I guess the term "feral" just isn't as mean as you thought it was. Maybe you were going for "fecal"?

No Normal, i'm talking about their behaviour rather than making any reference to the name of the network .. I find it very hard to believe that any of you could think their behaviour in front of the camera is normal .. that overexited jiggling and squeaking and arguing .. it's all so uncivilised .. it's like you've give some Trailer Trash a camera and let them loose .... blah.

If FOX news is biased, it's only because it's about time someone came along to "correct" the almost exclusively left view of the news media in the U.S.

LMAO .. "they're biased but I think that's OK"... hmmm... what happened to just reporting the news and letting people have an opinion?

Strewth ADG, in regards to the sep, I think there must be a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock. I would try getting to the duck's guts, but I think it might turn out to be more of a dog's breakfast. Any chance you can explain the larrikinism behind true blue, dinky di Strine to the drongo? I would try, but I am flat out like a lizard drinking. So carn, avago. No worries!

Qantasforever is now cringing under his doona  Laugh out loud ya mug. (and it's "No Wukkus" not No worries ya mug .. send em all a bondi cigar)

ADG

UnitedFirst

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:17 pm

As I like to say:

Fox News. We Report. We Decide.

I mean hello: Bill O'Reilly?

~Derek

heavymetal

Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:11 pm

Actually it's more like "WE REPORT. YOU DECIDE....ON WHAT WE DECIDE TO REPORT TO YOU".

The 'leftist media' argument is so tired is laughable. If there really was a leftist plot to control information, then:

-Why are we in Iraq right now? Lefties didn't want it.
-Why is the Presidency and both Houses of Congress Republican? Surely the 'Communist News Network' would have pulled out all stops to prevent that!
-What about the Clinton Impeachment? The network news operations went into salivating orgies of delight covering that one. Does that sound like 'leftist'?

And finally, why do you people call it "liberal media" half the time and "mainstream media" the other half?

Is the mainstream idealogically left and center from you maybe?

En...

Based on your argument, network news anchors shouldn't have opinions. Not just at work, but anywhere. ???? Like I said, Rather has on more than a few occassions completely destroyed his own credibilty (remember "What's The Frequency Kenneth!"?). But raising money for a political party in your off time is simply NOT a conflict of interest, provided you come to work and treat the telling of the news objectively.

You want conflict of interest? If Iraq were a court case, 'Haliburton' Dick Cheney wouldn't be allowed within a MILE of the courtroom. Richard Perle too.

N79969

Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:21 pm

HM,

That is close to what I am saying. Network news anchors can have opinions but have no business in political activism in their free time. Like judges, the value they add to our society is impartiality. Judges are prohibited from certain activities by their own code of ethics. There is a journalistic code of ethics and I don't know if this area is addressed. If Rather wants to be a democratic activist, he should leave CBS Evening News. Either way, he should choose.

You'll hear no argument from me about either Cheney or Perle. We are in agreement here.

Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:07 am

"No Normal, i'm talking about their behaviour rather than making any reference to the name of the network .. I find it very hard to believe that any of you could think their behaviour in front of the camera is normal .. that overexited jiggling and squeaking and arguing .. it's all so uncivilised .. it's like you've give some Trailer Trash a camera and let them loose .... blah."

ADG,

Ok, that's fine if you feel that way. I personally enjoy it--not that I think it's normal, but because I think it's not normal. I don't necessarily agree with everything they say, but the irreverance certainly has some entertainment value.

Anyway, my main point is that most of you are not using the term "feral" correctly. If you don't like Fox News, that's fine. Just find a better insult--one that's more, ahem, insulting. The term "Feral Fox" is nonsensical.

'Speed

mhsieh

Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:27 am

Who's the hottest/ your favorite chick...I mean female newscaster on Fox News Channel??