captaingomes

First Official BMW 5 Series Photos Leaked

Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:05 am

I know I had a similar thread weeks ago with spy shots, but these are apparantly official photos of the BMW 5 series that have been leaked by somebody with too much power. I don't know what to say, the pictures aren't too convincing, but maybe it will have a certain presence in real life that pictures can't capture. The Z4 is that way, and to a certain extent, so is the 7 series, especially with the 18" wheels.

We really need another car thread going to ease the mood somewhat. Opinions?

Sorry, for some reason the interior picture wont post. Go to http://www.autospies.com and search for the link if you want to see the interior. Looks very much like the 7 series, which again is a departure from previous BMW's that were highly regarded for their interiors (unless you ask 2 or 3 airliners.net members).
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

747-451

RE: First Official BMW 5 Series Photos Leaked

Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:45 am

Yeah, they'll sell them here, right  Insane... in the US sure boycott, boycott boycott out of one side of their mouths but still shill here; how spineless.
(lousy unappealling interirors and all...) However, it is a fitting car for the Maxim reading lower mamangement corporate climber wannabees....

RoyalDutch

Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:58 am

Dart it, and here I'd hoped that the 5 series was going to be immune from the uglification process going on in Munich for the last few years. When I saw the re-designed 7 series, I just about barfed, even in real life, and I still don't like it. Now that the 5 is going down, i'm beginning to give up hope. I really like the look form a couple of years ago...i think this new look cheapens the car...make sit look like some crappy mazda or mitsubishi something.

This is how the 5 series was meant to be (Photo: bmw.com)...

captaingomes

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:01 am

Politics just had to get involved right? I guess we should just throw out the global economy and every nation for themselves. Let's just halt all trading. I don't see how a private corporation selling mostly wonderful products worldwide aimed at a lucrative market segment is considered spineless. If you are that narrow minded to judge all German products based on your lack of respect for the German government's stance on the war with Iraq, then don't expect all the other nations worldwide to show any respect for anything that is American if they are against the war.

This thread isn't about politics, it isn't about the war, it is about cars to lighten the mood.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

captaingomes

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:05 am

RoyalDutch, I agree. The current 5 is great looking, and very purposeful. Now ILS can have his BMW with interior by Kia, and the new 5 series will have an exterior by Kia too!  Big grin

777236ER

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:05 am

747-451, are you drunk? What does your post have to do about the 5 series?
Your bone's got a little machine

BarfBag

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:21 am

Yeech! It looks like they hired someone from Saturn to design it, especially the front. Besides, as an Audi driver I'm obliged to stick my nose up at anything from BMW anyway  Big grin

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:35 am

"selling mostly wonderful products " Style wise definietly. Interiors? where are the pic's? Hope the interior isn't as stolid as previous fives...

"lucrative market segment is considered spineless" it is kind of crass for the "citizenry" to call for boycotss and then continue to push the stuff all over any way (and that goes for everyone and that is my point.)

And by the way, I stand behind my comment about the maixm reading social climbers since most of the fives driven here are driven by just those. If you want to make a statement, buy a new 7.

[Edited 2003-03-27 18:36:30]

MSYtristar

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:40 am

My good friend in FLL just got one fo those...she ordered it at the DTW car show....it will be delivered soon to her place...she's going up to Greenville to take the driving course...sounds reallyyyy nice.

Steve in New Orleans

captaingomes

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:48 am

747-451, it says in my original post where to find the picture of the interior. For some reason, it wont link here. Not all citizens are calling for boycotts, it's mainly the ultra right wing people (hint hint) who hate BMW's and anything imported anyways, so that doesn't really change. And the current 5 series has a great interior, excellent quality, some of the best front seats you'll find anywhere, and although I've never driven a 5 series, it's supposedly a great drivers car. Having driven other BMW's, I wouldn't doubt it.

By the way, buying a BMW is undoubtedly an image thing for many people, so I agree with you on that. However a significant number of people also purchase BMW's for their real qualities, namely the driving pleasure. They are the quintessential sports sedans.

JAL

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:58 am

Kinda reminds me of the 7-series.
Work Hard But Play Harder

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:00 am

"ultra right wing people (hint hint)" (hint hint--I'm a democrat...hint hint--I'm not for boycotss either (or war either)--hint hint--I am against hypocrites hint hint  Insane)

(PS the page for the interiors wont load on any PC here "dns error" apparently from a routing problem with my ISP)

They are the quintessential sports sedans-I agree; especially the M's.

777236ER

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:04 am

"ultra right wing people (hint hint)" (hint hint--I'm a democrat...hint hint--I'm not for boycotss either (or war either)--hint hint--I am against hypocrites hint hint )

Is this English?

They are the quintessential sports sedans-I agree; especially the M's.

The new M5 better be nice, ILS doesn't like being disappointed.

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:09 am

No, it's pig latin for Capt'n

captaingomes

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:15 am

Geez, thanks 747-451, greatly appreciated. I guess that's my language, pig-latin? But from your posts on airliners.net, you come across as an ultra right wing, and that's what I've based my comments on.

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:34 am

Captain,

The interior is finally a move a way from the typical vapidness that used to be in BMW, and in line with the new 7 series.

(PS-Capt'n If being against hypocrisy on the part of Europe/UN, castigating Bush's lack of being able to fix the miserable economy left by free rider/slacker Clinton, pushing for social programs to protect the unemployed and wanting more "homeland security" as opposed to "nationbuilding/world policing" makes me a right winger, then fine. I suggest you read all of my posts....)

captaingomes

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:43 am

Sorry, I don't read all of anybody's posts, but some people I can gather a consensus or attitude, which of course might be wrong. I don't know you personally, and you don't know me personally. The posts that I recall from you that seem to stand out suggested to me that you were a hardcore right wing believer. If that's not the case, then I apologize.

To me the problem with the new 5 series interior is that it detracts from its sporty roots, and rather focuses on the i-Drive. I-Drive basically combines the too many functions that modern luxury cars have to compel buyers to spend too much money on their cars. They are trying to compete with Lexus by doing this, and not sticking to their roots. The quality is undeniable. The sport seats look as good as any current BMW's sport seats, but the car seems to lean more towards luxury than sport, and that's reflected in the interior.

777236ER

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:45 am

The interior is finally a move a way from the typical vapidness that used to be in BMW, and in line with the new 7 series.

I'd hardly call them dull.

Greg

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:50 am

The dealership already has my deposit for the 2005 M5 (V-10...525+ horses)--it should be ready in about a year or so! I am currently 8th on the list (so there is plenty of good buzz surrounding the new 5 Series).
No sedan comes close to my current M5 for handling and performance, but BMW had better watch it's flanks....the new Audi RS6 is an awesome machine as well.

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:55 am

Cap'n

I agree that the interior may be moving toward the "Chrysler NY-esque rolling living room set on wheels  Smile" affair, but again I really do think they are competing against Lexus/Infiniti gadgetry and gimmickry and I think it is specifically aimed at the US market in doing such. In the US, even though we have lots of open roads, a majority of cars are stuck using the I95 in Atlanta, the Hollywood Freeway or the Long Island Distressway and Belt Parkinglot where speeds over a crawl are a rarity  Smile...so the fancy stereo's and other distractions help one from falling asleep in traffic  Smile aside from the Maxim reader's craving of status and prestige over road ability.

777-236ER,

Though I have found previous BMW's dull and uncomfortable interior wise, nothing was worse than the Mercedes 240D and 190D/E interiors with "M-B-Tex" vinlyl interiors as standard equipment here not all that long ago.

Stretch 8

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:46 am

My 2000 "CPO" 528 Sport (biarritz/sand/steptronic) has been a great car for me so far since purchase in late January. Anyone hunting for a 5 series should wait a few months until the new 5 is released, and CPO prices on the E39 will drop even more.

The new model remains to be seen. it looks so far like a cross between the current 7 and a Pontiac Bonneville. Yikes. The E39 is just a perfect car, balanced, classic design, handling brakes, you name it. I am thrilled to own one.

As for Greg being number 8 on the waiting list for a new M5; he must have sold his soul the the devil to have that much scratch to throw around!
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

zeus01

Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:56 am

Considering Greg is a lawyer, yes, he did sell his soul to the devil. Anywho, as many know, my dad actually purchased a 2003 M5 after seeing some sneak photos of the new five series. he siad he thinks it looks like some cheap japanese car, so he'll keep the 2003 for the next 7 years. However------E34 M5 FOREVER"

M/// Power

RoyalDutch

Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:07 am

Captaingomes: Now ILS can have his BMW with interior by Kia, and the new 5 series will have an exterior by Kia too!

LOL!!!!!! Big grin

captaingomes

Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:11 am

RoyalDutch, I'm gad you can laugh about it. I hate to see a $45,000 Kia Sephia!  Sad

Dash8King

Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:17 am

I personally think the 3 series is the best looking. The Lincoln LS is my favourite luxury sedan though.

captaingomes

Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:19 am

Lincoln LS? No no no no, I'm disappointed. I drove the LS and it was not bad at all, but definitely off the pace of the Germans. Of the present BMW sedans, I agree, the 3 series is the nicest one. I especially like the 330i with the upcoming Performance Package (although $3,900 US for that package).

flight152

Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:35 am

No sedan comes close to my current M5 for handling and performance

I thik it's clear the new Mercedes E55 AMG has the upper hand.

The Lincoln LS is way overpriced and doesn't compete with such cars as the Mercedes E-class and the BMW 5-series. The Lincoln's Luxury is thinly applied. The look, feel and texture of the plastic door panels and interior moldings are too close to Mustang, too far from the Jaguar S-type to appraise at 48 grand. The drive's seat provides very little support and handling isn't very good.

Dash8King

Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:46 am

I can't stand Mercede's look! Of course the LS doesn't meet up with Beamer standards I just love the look.

Boeing Nut

Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:02 pm

My personal philosophy is that cars are useless.  Laugh out loud

As a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab owner, I don't think I'll ever have a car again.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

khi747

Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:12 pm

The new E-class is great.....i cant wait for the E55 AMG to come out on the roads...with 470-odd HP it is going to be the fastest sedan atleast until the new M5 comes out. I was reading a review on it and the writers very beautifully put it ...the car has "stability slightly greater then that of earth"!....i love Mercedes even though i bought a Jaguar  Smile ..... my dream car is the CL class....the CL55 was the ultimate but now i saw pictures of the 612HP CL65 AMG....that is my dream car...a friend of mine got the CL55 ...what a car man..
Speaking of the new 5 i think its very cool...i dont know why people dont like its shape..i think you may chage your mind when you see it on the roads..the 5 series is really a drivers car...in many ways its a perfect car and those of you have driven cars like 530i,540i and the M5 would agree with me...great blend of comfort,reliability,practicality and performance. Greg what color is your M5...a friend of mine has a red M5 with full hamman body kit on it that looks amazing....but i do think had he left the original M5 rims they would have looked better but they came with the full kit so he had to put it anyway but overall the car looks beautiful in red.It was one of the first if not the first M5's in Boston.

We're Nuts

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:03 pm

I don't know if someone has mentioned this already, but it kinda looks like the new Accord.

I just ruined it, didn't I?  Big grin
Dear moderators: No.

RoyalDutch

Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:22 am

At least the current 3 series isn't bad...hopefully it isn't the next one on the blacklist....(photo:bmw.de)

captaingomes

Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:31 am

RoyalDutch, the good news that I've been reading repeatedly is that the next 3 will be much much more conservative than the 5 and 7, and will be out in 2006 I believe here in North America. It will be a bit bigger and possibly less expensive with more standard features, thanks to the recent successful introduction of the Infinity G35.

AMERICAN757

Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:46 pm

ugly.....................................................................................................................

Glenn

Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:50 pm

Pre leaked for public opinion, now they can start work on redesigning it

Soku39

Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:57 pm

Glenn we can only hope. Because that thing is one ugly mofo.
The Ohio Player

LOT767-300ER

Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:05 pm

The new BMW designs are disturbing. The front is looking worse and worse, more Honda/Toyota style but even worse than that. The back is going Daewoo.

Glenn

Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:06 pm

it's an inside job covertly organised by Mercedes to make their cars look better

Ilyushin96M

Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:07 pm

BMW is totally losing it with their latest designs. The 7-series is a dog, and the 5-series is following in its footsteps. I'm surprised people are buying these cars. After all, next to driving quality and handling, looks are most important to BMW owners.

captaingomes

Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:29 pm

Hell has frozen over ... I agree with LOT on a car topic.

Dash8King

Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:41 pm

Haven't heard of Daewoo in a long time. I thought they had nice looking cars for the really cheap price they offered.

captaingomes

Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:46 pm

Dash8king, the fumes from your skidoo are getting to you. Not liking Mercedes and liking Daewoo, something is wrong!!!  Big grin

Ilyushin96M

Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:52 pm

Yeah, Daewoo...not bad-looking cars, but shit on four wheels. Which is why you don't see them any more. They are out of business, aren't they? Or at least not exporting to the US these days...

flight152

Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:59 pm

Haven't heard of Daewoo in a long time. I thought they had nice looking cars for the really cheap price they offered.

eeeeeeew! You have GOT to be kidding me!

captaingomes

Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:00 pm

GM bought Daewoo, and are bringing back a few models with Chevy badges. I believe the Daewoo Leganza is one of them.

Dash8King

Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:38 pm

LOL!! For the price range they are in I thought they looked not bad, doesn't mean I would get one becuase I would rather a truck or SUV anyway!

PS Captain I thought that they were going to keep the Daewoo brand?

captaingomes

Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:46 pm

I'm not sure if they're keeping the Daewoo brand to be honest, but I do know that they rebadged some as Chevy's.

747-451

Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:13 am

Daewoo? There is nothing on GM's, Chevy's or Daewoo's site about rebadging and seeling them in the US with Chevy names. There is a GM Daewoo site for the Australian market. The Daewoo dealer here is open. What's the deal??

777236ER

Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:35 am

I personally like the 7 and I don't think the new 5 looks too bad.

Mercedes new line of ultra-bulky, chunky all out luxury styling doesn't appeal to me.

The new BMWs look a lot more drivable - it mustn't be forgotten that BMWs have always been about driving. The old three wasn't a fantastic car to look at, but it certainly set itself apart from every other car in its class with its driving. Ditto with the old (old) five and seven.

I just hope BMW doesn't go overboard with the model range though. Stick to the 3, 5, 7, X5. The X3 and X7 are inevitable and the Z4/Z8 are here to stay, but any potential 6 series could push it a bit...

Still,

Just a wee bit gorgeous!

racko

Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:04 am

I'll wait with my comment of the new 5er until I've seen bigger photos. The 7er grows on me from day to day, especially in darker colors.

BMW will definately produce a 6er series and a 1er series.