jcs17

French Trash Statue Of Liberty Replica/9-11 Mem.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:57 am

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/5486973.htm
BORDEAUX, France - Vandals in this southwest Bordeaux torched a replica of the Statue of Liberty and cracked the pedestal of a plaque honoring victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The crowned head of the 8-foot-tall statue was blackened by fire and its eyes were marked with red paint, apparently to symbolize tears of blood, an official at the mayor's office said.

The statue and the Sept. 11 plaque are beside each other in a square near the city center.

The mayor of the southwestern city, Alain Juppe, condemned Wednesday's pre-dawn attack, saying the statue's message is especially pertinent in wartime.

"At a time when the world is living a major conflict, it is more important than ever to remain watchful of the values of peace and liberty," said Juppe, a former prime minister.

The Lady Liberty standing in New York Harbor was a gift from France to the United States commemorating freedom and friendship between the nations. It was made by Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi and dedicated in 1886.

Today, tensions between France and the United States have flared over the war in Iraq. French people overwhelmingly oppose the U.S.-led conflict and President Jacques Chirac angered many Americans by trying to slow the U.S. drive to war.

In France, vandals have ransacked McDonald's restaurants in Paris and Strasbourg, targeting the fast food chain as a symbol of American influence.

Cafeterias in the U.S. House of Representatives subsequently changed their menus to read "freedom fries" instead of French fries and "freedom toast" instead of French toast.

Lawmakers also introduced bills preventing France from participating in any postwar reconstruction projects.
----
Real classy...A 9.11 memorial...nice job, France, youve outdone yourself again.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

747-451

RE: French Trash Statue Of Liberty Replica/9-11 Mem.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:01 am

It is one thing to boycott wine or cars, quite another to mock the dead, but what would I ecpect from the unwashed, arrogant and worst member of Old Europe...

cedarjet

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:07 am

What do you expect? Should the French refrain from acts of protest just cos the target of such direct action is AMERICAN? This kind of thing is a worldwide phenomenon, not just restricted to France. Although the French have more reason than most, since Russia would have veto'd the resolution, and in any case you can bet that the other non-permanent members would have voted against as well. If there had been any chance of the so-called 'moral majority' in favour (ie 8+ yays out of the 15), it would have gone to the vote. As it was, they couldn't get it, and blamed just one nation (which at least laid all its cards on the table) instead of 13.

No wonder someone took a sledgehammer to a Statue Of Liberty thingy in Bordeaux.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

aa61hvy

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:23 am

I am not going to say anything, because I think what I would say would get me kicked off of A.net permanently.
Go big or go home

AOMlover

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:24 am

JCS17, 747 451, shame on you for saying this. You're so insulting.
No, those vandals are not "France". they're vandals, and the French people are not all vandals. Your comments, Jcs17 and 747 451, are so pityful.
You're not even able to make a difference between some fu%king vandals and the French people. Do you think that here, in France, we're all happy of what happened last night ? Do you really think we all hate America ?
I hope the vandals who did that will go in jail, shame on them too.

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:24 am

I have no problem with protest, not one bit. But it is childish and infantile to use a tradgedy like a WTC memorial to make a point--it kind of detracts from any point they may make--and it is an unconscionable slap at the families of the victims of 9.11. It also appears that the French are the most vocal with their disgust.

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:25 am

Some people have a bad habit of generalising.
In Arsene we trust!!

racko

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:27 am

"unwashed, arrogant and worst member of Old Europe"

You wonder why people get angry when you (and many of your fellow countrymen) insult them in every second sentence?

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:39 am

Hmm... What is the best adjective to describe the French? Bipolar?

'Speed

4holer

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:40 am

While I am disappointed in the French government and much of the populace for the rampant anti-Americanism there now (not that they are losing any sleep over my disappointment), my disgust with this episode rests only with the person or persons who carried it out. I would hope that the vast majority of citizens "over there" would share my disgust, though I may very well be wrong.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:54 am

"You wonder why people get angry when you (and many of your fellow countrymen) insult them in every second sentence?"

And trashing a memorial to the dead isn't? that sort of arrogance is astounding even for Americans  Insane It is absolutely appalling behavior to desecrate something like a memorial to the dead, and people who died in such a horrible way. It appears Europe is very good at castigating "Americans" for their lack of etiquette, but then again this will happen, and AOMlover, it appears that the vandals who did this cant discriminate victims of terror from the rest of "Americans" "American instututions" etc, now can they are " not even able to make a difference between some fu%king vandals and the American people." Save me the double sided BS.

"You wonder why people get angry when you (and many of your fellow countrymen) insult them in every second sentence"

You reap what you sew. The constant belittling by the French, Germans, Canadians etc is disgusting and yes, it will illicit similar responses. It may not be right, but then again neither is any of the rhetoric.

777236ER

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:10 am

And trashing a memorial to the dead isn't? that sort of arrogance is astounding even for Americans It is absolutely appalling behavior to desecrate something like a memorial to the dead, and people who died in such a horrible way

I guess the constant "we saved your ass in WWII, if it wasn't for us you'd be speaking German" isn't disrespectful for the thousands of Europeans who died before the US entered the war?

You reap what you sew

Maybe the US's foreign policies and general attitude to ANYONE who dares to go against its wishes reaps some of the shit you're getting?
Your bone's got a little machine

KLAX

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:13 am

Maybe the US's foreign policies and general attitude to ANYONE who dares to go against its wishes reaps some of the shit you're getting?

Maybe the French policy of REJECTING anything the U.S. proposes and blocking all diplomatic dialogue and debate is reaping some of the shit they're getting?

-Clovis

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:24 am

"Maybe the US's foreign policies and general attitude to ANYONE who dares to go against its wishes reaps some of the shit you're getting?"

Maybe its the French unilateralism that is pissing the US off by "vetoing anything the US says" in the UN while Chiraq enables SH with Dassault going against 14 other sanctions....

jaysit

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:50 am

Hello?

Its an 8 foot cheezy replica of the Statue of Liberty.
Its not like they burned the original copy of the Declaration of Independence.

And they were vandals. Vandals who happened to be French. This was not a state sponsored act.

Give it a rest. Or set up a fund to create yet another wax replica of the Statue of Liberty. Frankly, the original in New York Harbor is good enough for me.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

KLAX

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:55 am

Jaysit, I agree there, very small minority. Probably some arab or north african kids, same ones that say "Vive Osama" and "Vive Saddam" at the war protests..

-Clovis

AOMlover

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:57 am

"it appears that the vandals who did this cant discriminate victims of terror from the rest of "Americans" "American instututions" etc, now can they are " not even able to make a difference between some fu%king vandals and the American people." Save me the double sided BS. "

and your point is ?
Of course they can't make this difference ! They're vandals, narrow-minded and stupid people, that's why they can't make this difference. But does this mean that all the French are vandals ?
You are almost like them in a way, because you think that a few stupid persons represent the French population, just like they believe that Bush and his policy=280 Millions Americans.

P.S. : his name is Chirac, not Chiraq. Maybe it was just a funny joke...

KLAX

Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:59 am

P.S. : his name is Chirac, not Chiraq. Maybe it was just a funny joke...

Thats what the Kurds call him...

-Clovis

AOMlover

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:04 am

Clovis, have you ever heard "la guerre qui pue, Bush ton Blair ?" ? It's a classic, but it's still funny...
ooodelaliiiiie

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:05 am

"You are almost like them in a way, because you think that a few stupid persons represent the French population, just like they believe that Bush and his policy=280 Millions Americans."

No, I am going by the actions of your PM who is elected by your people and the rhetoric of your press--using the same tactics  Insane utilized by "Europeans" in judging the US...

N766UA

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:50 am

How about we find em and burn their head and eyes...see how they like it. Morons. Oh well, it's to be expected I guess.

-N76
This Website Censors Me

Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:10 am

747-451 wrote:

"It is one thing to boycott wine or cars, quite another to mock the dead, but what would I ecpect from the unwashed, arrogant and worst member of Old Europe..."

Most people are intelligent enough to know that the actions of a few vandals do not represent most or even a large portion of the French people. Many French -- and Europeans in general -- are fed up with Bush and his reactionary policies, but they have nothing against us as a nation. Anti-Americanism does exist in Europe, but it is limited to an extremist fringe... as are similar anti-French attitudes in the US.

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:15 am

Anti-Americanism does exist in Europe...what ever....

Save me the "Cliches" about P.O.'d at governments and not the people; you can't seperate the two. And as I said: "No, I am going by the actions of your PM who is elected by your people and the rhetoric of your press--using the same tactics utilized by "Europeans" in judging the US..."

777236ER

Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:17 am

Erm, great 747-451? In English?

When was the last time you were in Europe?

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:26 am

Geneva, 11-2002, Munich 9-2002.

777236ER

Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:30 am

For how long? How can you make such sweeping statements about a whole continent?

vafi88

Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:40 am

BTW-how do we know that French Attacked the Statue of Liberty?

If there is no proof I can easily think that Americans did it to the Statue of Liberty because it was made by France.....how's that take on your closed-minded takes and opinions?

It can clearly be either of the sides...
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

fspilot747

Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:44 am

"Probably some arab or north african kids, same ones that say "Vive Osama" and "Vive Saddam" at the war protests.."

Way to go, KLAX. It's that sort of ignorant arrogance that ignites the sort of hatred these vandals demonstrated.

You think the American public is any better? Think again. We have punks in America, too.

FSP

Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:16 pm

747-451 wrote:

Save me the "Cliches" about P.O.'d at governments and not the people; you can't seperate the two."

No, you and some extremists ideologues on both sides of the Atlantic can't separate the two. Most people can. According to your logic, does one have to be pro-Bush in order to be pro-American? Don't be silly; some of the most patriotic Americans oppose the Bush administration and its policies. And, don't forget, many of the demonstrators in Europe respected Clinton when he was in office.

Alpha 1

Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:29 pm

And another hockey game breaks out on A.net.......

TWAL1011

Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:13 pm

You the know the world has gone crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, Switzerland holds the America's Cup, the French accuse the Americans of arrogance and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:07 pm

"You the know the world has gone crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, Switzerland holds the America's Cup, the French accuse the Americans of arrogance and Germany doesn't want to go to war."

Ahh, that's good humor.

Vive la revolucion!

'Speed

Dasa

Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:21 pm

Tell me Jcs, if the French are sooooooooooooooooooo evil, then why would they even have a memorial to September 11th? Doesn't this show you this was the action of a very small minority?

747-451

Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:28 am

"And, don't forget, many of the demonstrators in Europe respected Clinton when he was in office."

Says alot doesn't it...:-?

Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:05 am

Tell me Jcs, if the French are sooooooooooooooooooo evil, then why would they even have a memorial to September 11th? Doesn't this show you this was the action of a very small minority?

Actually, the original article said that . .it takes a special sort of village idiot to get a "whole country" out of what was written up there.

Just shows how the "anti-french" sentiment is nothing more than simplistic sour grapes.

ADG

QANTASforever

Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:54 pm

Dear everyone,

I'm rather intrigued by the fact that small (however powerful) protests such as this one in France can cause such an uproar - but large, and violent protests in the nations that form the 'coalition of the willing' don't seem to mean anything.

I've stated previously that I legitimatley do not understand the current anti-french sentiment that exists in the United States. I don't know if Americas argument is with the people or the government or both. It seems in this post that the target is the french people - if this is so, why are americans in these forums not posting anti-australian or anti-british threads in light of the recent fierce rallies in London and Sydney?

"I am-a confused".

In all, I would appreciate members from the United States to enlighten me on what exactly the issue is here?

QANTASFOREVER
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

EmiratesLover

Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:58 pm

BIG DEAL

The Americans do not recognize the suffering of people in other countries as a result of their crimes, I see no reason why people should be exquisitely sensitive to theirs.

jsf119

Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:18 pm

All I know is that I am boycotting French and German goods forever. American cheese is better and American wine is better anyways. If I ever visit Europe the only countries I will ever step foot in are England, Scotland Spain, Greece, or Italy. Also what is this garbage
"BIG DEAL

The Americans do not recognize the suffering of people in other countries as a result of their crimes "
Although this is one of the DUMBER statements in this place I can;t say I am all that surprised. What crimes have we commited. We stoped a ruthless dictator in Germany, stopped a brutual regime in Japan, about to stop another regime in Iraq, LIBERATED FRANCE TWICE, attributed to the fall of communism in Russia, helped out countless of countries all over the world with our money and our soldier's blood. But somehow its no big deal that 3,000 innocent people lost thier lives. Also next time you throw that immature garbage out there at least back it up with some facts. Beause if nothing else that comment is just flat out STUPID given everything our country has done for countries all over the world. Just being hypothetical even if our government was so brutual and imperalistic how in the hell does that justify 3,000 innocent women and children and men being executed. By the way EVERY superpower in the world since the dawn of man has been imperalistic except the U.S.. Never has this government EVERY taken over a country and not given it back to its own people to run.

Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:35 pm

Jsf119 wrote:

"If I ever visit Europe the only countries I will ever step foot in are England, Scotland Spain, Greece, or Italy."

Do you know that ordinary people in those countries (except the UK) are also overwhelmingly opposed to the war? And while those are all wonderful nations, you only hurt yourself by excluding all others for political reasons. But, then again, most countries won't miss you or your attitude.

Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:46 pm

I simply dont' understand how people can really believe that rubbish Jsf.

By the way, it might interest you to know that per capita the French spend 4x what the Americans do on foreign aid.

ADG

lehpron

Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:48 pm

"Vandals in this southwest Bordeaux torched a replica of the Statue of Liberty and cracked the pedestal of a plaque honoring victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.
----
Real classy...A 9.11 memorial...nice job, France, youve outdone yourself again.
"

Yes it was pathetic, but you are choosing to assume and conclude that those vandals represent all of France, aren't you? I doubt all of France has the opinion the media tells/shows you OF all of France. Real classy is right; you're making judgments while looking at the world through a TINYASS hole!

They assume stuff; you assume stuff, what’s the difference?!
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:16 pm

I wrote:

"And, don't forget, many of the demonstrators in Europe respected Clinton when he was in office."

747-451 responded:

Says alot doesn't it...:-?"

Sure does; it says that most demonstrators in Europe don't feel the way they do because of some inherent anti-Americanism (which only exists on the political fringe), but because they strongly dislike George W. Bush and his unilateral policies which have done much to alienate Europe.

BTW, sorry for my late response.

TWAL1011

Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:29 pm

but because they strongly dislike George W. Bush

I'd say that's a little subtle. More like a hatred of Bush. He wasn't supposed to win. He's Christian. He's not Clinton. Therefore, he's hated. It goes a long way to explain a great many things.

Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:39 pm

TWAL1011

"He's Christian. He's not Clinton. Therefore, he's hated."

This is one of the silliest things I've heard in a while. He's hated because he's Christian? Even though most of Europe is Christian (albeit much of it very moderately so)? Even though Clinton is vocally Christian as well?  Nuts No, Bush is despised largely because of his reactionary ideology, which is widely seen by Europe (and many Americans) as backward, and because of his administration's countless unilateral moves that have managed to alienate most Europeans of various different political persuasions.

"It goes a long way to explain a great many things."

Your silly, silly post goes a long way to explain a great many things, but not the ones you intended.

TWAL1011

Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:41 pm

So you're saying it's silly then?