TechRep
Topic Author

Strange Silence From The Anti-Bush/Anti-War Crowd

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:19 am

Has anyone noticed this other than me? All of the so called Bush illusions are becoming more solid, Iraqi's are welcoming the so called invaders, the war is not becoming bogged-down, not another Vietnam and the Bush estimates about the war seem right on tract. The silence is almost deafening.

TechRep

CX747

RE: Strange Silence From The Anti-Bush/Anti-War Crowd

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:28 am

Come out come out where ever you are. All quiet on the anti-Bush anti-U.S. front.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

captaingomes

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:29 am

I don't have strong feelings for or against the war, there are many pros and cons in choosing the war or not. I think it's much too early to be celebrating victory, because it's not the war part that's the most significant in my mind. There was no doubt that the allied forces would win. I am surprised that there weren't chemical attacks, and glad it didn't happen.

I want to see in 6 months to a year how things develop. The war is the easy part, establishing a working democracy without threats of violence or other nasty repurcussions may not prove to be so easy. If it happens, then great! But until that does happen, nobody can really celebrate.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

EGGD

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:31 am

*cough* flamebait *cough*

CX747

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:31 am

And the back tracking, double talking begins. Oh, I didn't mean that the war would get bogged down, I meant the process afterwards.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

TechRep
Topic Author

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:40 am

Things Iraqi Information Minister doesn't want you to know.

TechRep

TechRep
Topic Author

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:40 am

Wrong thread sorry,

TechRep

clipperhawaii

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:42 am

What else could they say?

Debate is now over. ACTION is what was needed and has now occurred.

Let the few characters here muddle in the sanctimonious harmony that they dish.

Remember talk is cheap. Action isn't. Let their quiet continue.

LOL Roll On!

Clipperhawaii

"You Can't Beat The Experience"

goingboeing

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:42 am

Techrep - still here, just finished dinner though. If I were you, I'd wait for a while to see if we get any suicide bombers stateside. Hooray hooray, the USA kicked the ass of a third rate military. But did we win the war? ONly time will tell.

captaingomes

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:50 am

Like I said, it's too early to parade the streets, because it's really far from over. The war itself is pretty much over, but how about the big picture? Obviously a lot of good has happened as a result, and the war itself has been fairly clean without an inordinate amount of mishaps. Like Goingboeing said, so the U.S. kicked the ass of a third rate militar, big deal? Will the plans of forming a democracy really happen as smoothly as some of you might think? I hope so, but I have my reservations. When a government is elected and the Iraqi's are standing on their own feet, with their economy working, then everybody can parade the streets and honour the Americans and British on a job well done. I will definitely salute the United States when that happens.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Thumper

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:50 am

What I would like to know is what happened to all those retired Generals who said Tommy Franks and Rumsfeld had no idea on how to plan a war,they misjudged everything. Haven't heard from them for a while.

Glenn

Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:56 am

The war was never an issue. America would roll Iraq. Yhat was inevitable. Unfortunately, Innocent people died, on all sides. The WMD still not proven but they may well be..

The major concern that I had was the after affects of the war. We'll see what transpires. I am happy that the war is almost over, i feel the fighting may continue for years. Beware the enemy you can't see

Happy to be wrong though

[Edited 2003-04-08 02:02:31]

KLMBLue

Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:10 am

We are just catching our breath.
-Brian
Invest in education, not war!

CX747

Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:20 am

To all those in the "peace" movement who wanted to let sanctions work. Here is what an Iraqi thinks of you. As for the civilian deaths, well he talks about that also.

http://komo1000news.com/audio/kvi_aircheck_031003.mp3

Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:23 am

That is so funny CX747. I'm going to send that to everybody. "You are a joke, you cannot answer the question, you are a joke" LOL

CX747

Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:27 am

It just shows you what the Iraqi people truly think of the "Peace Protesters" and how they view the "Infidels" with their military weapons. For the chirping birds of our own forum, I understand that it is just one Iraqi.

galaxy5

Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:29 am

Glenn
From Australia, joined Jan 2003, 543 posts, RR: 52
Reply: 11
Posted Tue Apr 8 2003

Happy to be wrong though

you should be happy to be wrong since you ADG, ROY, sabena, Aviastia are so use to being wrong, its a routine and comforting feeling for you guys.

"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

prebennorholm

Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:29 am

Dear Glenn, you tell us that you are happy that the war is almost over.

Talking about time frames, then please don't be too disappointed if there is still a long way to go.

After two weeks of showing off force the war is gradually entering a different phase. A phase where the Iraqii people shall have a fair chance to gain control over their own situation. And there will still be struggles at some locations.

This second phase will be a much slower thing. But also a phase where patience will be one of the qualities which the coalition commanders must master.

Those excursions into central Baghdad have a much more important task than just "showing force". They sure have carried powerfull loud speakers to tell the population how to handle their situation. It works much better than throwing millions of leaflets off Hercules planes.

They probably also left behind a trail of batteries for their radioes so they regardless of utility power or not can listen to Voice of America.

That voice will also soon be their way to be informed about how they handle their food supply.

Patience, patience, that will be the way to go during the next couple of weeks or maybe much more. That will minimize casualties among Iraqii civilians and coalition forces too.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Schoenorama

RE: Strange Silence From The Anti-Bush/Anti-War Cr

Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:47 am

CX747:

"To all those in the "peace" movement who wanted to let sanctions work"

You still don't get it, don't you. NONE in the peace-movement wanted the sanctions. It was the US and the UK that maintained the bloody sanctions for 12 years. France and Russia didn't want the sanctions either.

The MP3 file is an interview between 1 (ONE) Iraqi and 1 (ONE) US anti-war protester (not a very good one, by the way). So just because 1 (ONE) Iraqi that lives in the US is against the UN, we should all believe EVERY SINGLE Iraqi citizen feels the same?

Here's an interesting article from the same KOMO site:

"A Bush administration official says the chemicals terrorists could use to kill Americans wouldn't have to be smuggled into the country -- because they're legal." http://www.komotv.com/sidebar/getCrisisFeed.asp?URL=http://localhost/apwirefeed/d7q90oo01.xml&NewsSection=BreakingNewsHeadlines

So now that the war in nearly over, a war that started over some chemical weapons Iraq could threaten the US with, and these chemical weapons might have finally been found, all of a sudden the Bush Administration tells you there are still many other reasons to be affraid of terrorist strikes. So what are they gonna do next? Ban all chlorine?

None of the anti-war posters on this board, except perhaps Indianguy, thought the US would not win an easy war from Iraq. The problem is that terrorism can simply not be dealt with by just winning from Iraq. Rather than getting rid of terrorist threats, this war has given many people a reason to hate the US. Some of them maybe probably didn't mind the US until they lost their families in 'collateral damage'. The US can win this war tomorrow or even tonight, but winning this war or ANY war will not put an end to the anti-US feeling throughout the Middle-East.
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Glenn

Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:56 am

you should be happy to be wrong since you ADG, ROY, sabena, Aviastia are so use to being wrong, its a routine and comforting feeling for you guys.

That the best you can do. Come on, make it hurt baby.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

DC10GUY

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:02 am

I'm still very against the war and Bush, I am still hopeful that all the troops come home soon. The pro war people are in the perfect place for arguing the war ... If it goes good its Bush's great job... If it goes bad its the anti-war people and the liberal medias fault. This war was avoidable. Bush did nothing to avoid the war. Thousands of innocent people are dead because of it... Did anyone ever think the Iraqi army would win ??? The next big question is how much are we going to spend on Iraq ??? At the expense of OUR schools & cites here ??? Bush is an asshole and so is Blair.....
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

jaysit

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:09 am

Did any of you for the slightest second believe that the US wouldn't win agains the Iraqi military? Even if we had scooters and water pistols, we could have won against Iraq. The Iraqi military was a joke post 1991, and Saddam was a tinpot dictator with a lot of ugly, tacky palaces. In effect, an Emperor with no clothes.

Now do you people believe that 1200 dead civilians (The Washiington Post reporting on April 7, 2003) is mere collateral damage? Now don't bring up "all the slaughtered civilians under Saddam." They were mostly killed when we sat around selling him more weapons to do his dirty deeds. Civilian deaths caused by the direct paramilitary fascism that Saddam became infamous have largely not occurred since the 1991 Shiite massacres (when we sat around twiddling our thumbs). Much of the opposition to war came from those who did not believe that civilian deaths in the thousands was a price worth paying if other avenues were available. Those avenues were in effect shut out. It turns out that those avenues with a military presence helped reduce the Iraqi military to a non-entity over 12 years.

As far as that Iraqi goes, he could well have been some comic at an Improv for all you know, or one of the goons who made up Saddam's overseas opposition - a rather unsavory bunch. Iraqi politicians of all stripes were never known for their finesse and respect of human rights. But interestingly enough, I was just watching the BBC where interviews with the local population of a Baghdadi suburb showed a level of social schizophrenia in Iraq. Those who were interviewed said they liked the US soldiers, but didn't like the US, didn't like Britain (Britannia, they called it), didn't want the US in Iraq. A few said they wanted the US soldiers to be "king," while others said "kill Saddam and all his family." Surprisingly, most said they hated the Iraqi military, but loved Saddam. Others said they hated Saddam, and hated Israel. All said they were sick of the bombing and were tired of watching a parade of funerals. It was quite mindboggling, and showed the enormous complexity we have to deal with in Iraq.

I suspect that a few months from now, when we are caught in a quagmire in Iraq far more complex for most of you to understand (and one can only hope that Paul Wolfowitz doesn't think that massive pogroms of Iraqi against Iraqi isn't also mere collateral damage), and when FoxNews has moved on to topics like "Fat running woman causes forest fire with chafing thighs," the cheerleaders will move on to topics less taxing for their minds.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:11 am

Invest in education, not war!

- admissions slogan, Université de Paris and Université de Marseille  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

IndianGuy

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:13 am

You armchair soldiers have no balls to go out there and fight. You love wars, becuase its free entertainment: Something different from the everyday fare you see on FOX. And you dont even have the balls (or the knowledge) to enter into a sensible debate with the anti-war camp. So you guys prefer to shout us down!

So I am now doing what I can do on the ground to ensure that this war machine cannot rise again to smash another country's independence; rape another 5000 year culture the way Iraq was. Or Afghanistan before that.

We are organising an economic boycott of British and American products. From clothes to cosmetics, from airlines to TV channels. And the response we have got in city like Pune is phenomenal! Thousands of students have written in saying they want to join in! Some have even come up with suggestions like making huge bonfires of US/UK made products, and complete boycott of stores keeping products made in these countries. Suggestions which will be taken up.

Already, cable operators in the city have pulled out FOX, even without us asking! We are now asking for a ban on the BBC and the CNN.

I believe this is the beginning of a revolution. We will not help these new age invaders by enriching them so they can go out and enslave other people. After all, it is Iraq today, it could well be India the day after!

All of the so called Bush illusions are becoming more solid, Iraqi's are welcoming the so called invaders,

More childish drivel. Whioch of the "illusisions" have become solid? Where are the WMD's over which the war was fought?

Iraqi's are welcoming the invaders? Really?

captaingomes

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:20 am

Seems like Dixie Chicks CD's will sell well in India.  Big grin

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:21 am

We are organising an economic boycott of British and American products. From clothes to cosmetics, from airlines to TV channels.

Oh man, you mean we won't be able to bank on the purchasing power of the financial juggernaut that is the Indian subcontinent anymore?!?  Nuts

Please, Roy...say it isn't so!!! Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

KAUSpilot

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:25 am

TechRep
Topic Author

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:28 am

Everyone please take note. The Bush/War haters were ready to engage in sanctimonious battle with the Right Wing Republican Rich Christian fundamentalists. They had drawn out there arguments like a well written commencement speech, they had prepared for every argument and they had merged to become a formidable steel wall of words.

What this group didn’t prepare for however was the genuine spirit of the Iraqi’s and their wish for peace and prosperity. Like Japan after World War 2 and many nations like it, The United States will build from the ashes a fine Phoenix in the Arab lands that will prove Democracy can and will work for Arab people.

The dark day’s are not over however, the Bush Haters will then move to the next bastion of hate. They must then call out to the world or whoever will listen. They will cry to the east “Bush wants your oil”, to the west “Bush wants you to be a Christian”, cry to the North, “Bush wants only a pro-American puppet country in the middle east to combat Islam and take over Arab Lands”.

The Iraqi’s will call Bush their Liberator but the haters will not relent, “look how long the infidels stay, will they not ever leave?” The United States will return the land, the riches, and the oil and provide peace at last but the haters will never leave. They will continue to hate Bush and the USA no matter how much good it does; haters only point out the awfulness, the decay, the stench but overlook the lush vast fields that truly grow from peace and prosperity.

Don’t be a hater….

TechRep

Glenn

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:33 am

Cute kid, Show us one in the hospital waving the US Flag. That would make me a bit happier

Glenn

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:35 am

Tech rep, you sound like David Koresh, My advice, don't go playing with matches

jaysit

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:38 am

"Don’t be a hater…."

Don't be an idiot.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

KLMBLue

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:40 am

Are we going to rebuild Iraq like we did with Afghanistan? If so, i pity the Iraqis, for we have done little to help them. the standard of living has not really risen. sure we gave them "more" rights but what did we really accomplish?
-Brian
osama bin forgotten?!

Alpha 1

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:49 am

I haven't been silent, and I was NOT for this war commencing, and I'm certianly not for Bush. I am 100% behind our troops, even though I opposed the order to send them into harms way.

And TechRep, are you telling me you love war somehow? You love death and destruction? You love all of that? Who is the one that's a bit wierd, then, you or me? If you say you find this war as something to love, then you have serious, serious problem. ANY war, even one that is completely justified, is not something to love.

Glenn

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:53 am

Spot the true Armchair Rambos

War aint like tele. People die painfully

TechRep
Topic Author

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:59 am

Glenn,

You have been relegated to the proverbial clown-in-a-circus that comes out to entertain the crowd till the real show begins. You have lost so much credibility on this forum with your sophomoric slapstick routine. I would think an A.Net Mod could at least be serious once in a while. Glenn, irregardless if you agree or disagree with me, at least put up some useful dialogue, once in a while. You have demonstrated time and again, at your own embarrassment, that you can't keep dialogue with grown ups and opt for the lowest common denominator, at which you’re not even good at that.

I suggest you go back to your "Aussie Posse" and post topics that you can more easily follow. It's almost excruciating to see you make such a fool out of yourself time and again. I guess though, every circus needs a clown, so let the show begin.

TechRep

Glenn

Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:02 am

Just so I am aware, was that an insult ???

And just so you are aware, knowing that facts are all important to you

I would think an A.Net Mod

I am not an A.Net mod. Never have been.

TechRep
Topic Author

Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:06 am

Even grown-ups make mistakes, maybe you can honk your nose or hit Roy with your powdered sock.

TechRep

airplay

Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:18 am

The Iraqi’s will call Bush their Liberator but the haters will not relent, “look how long the infidels stay, will they not ever leave?” The United States will return the land, the riches, and the oil and provide peace at last but the haters will never leave. They will continue to hate Bush and the USA no matter how much good it does; haters only point out the awfulness, the decay, the stench but overlook the lush vast fields that truly grow from peace and prosperity.

Ahh....now the real reason for Techrep's thread. Don't get on your soapbox just yet. Those "lush fields" are going to prosper on many dead bodies. You should only hope that your family will never be exposed to the horror of a war.

And, the question of why the US took on this "fight" with a third world country that has been crippled by sanctions for 12 years. Can you imagine if you had to take on a country like Korea? Oh wait....Rummie probably considered that and went for the easy country with the oil...

Anti-war? Doesn't seem like something I need to continue to harp about since it's a moot point and I've pretty much said what I need to say. The war is all but over...all that's left is the bitterness after years of coalition exploitation of the Iraqi people and their resources. I'm just waiting for the first lucrative oil production related deal to be struck with the US. What am I saying? Halliburton (Slick Dick Cheney's former company) already has its foot in the door to provide vital oil field rebuilding support....

The fact that someone is capable of dredging up a few Iraqis that seemingly support the invasion force doesn't impress me much. I know a former president of the US that thinks this war is unjust. I know a few ambasadors and senators too.

CX747

Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:23 am

Ahh and the peanut gallery finally chimed in the 10 cents worth of nonesense while I was gone this afternoon. Thanks for the comments as always.

KLMBlue: We have been helping the Afghans for less than a year and YES there have been improvements to their way of life. I think being able to listen to the radio, have potable water and the freedom to speak your mind aregood things. Overall the economy has improved and while there is still fighting, the Taliban and Al Qaeda are on the run. Obviously it takes quite a long time to get an infastructure built. The troops are doing a magnificant job and life in general improves everday.

As an earlier poster mentioned, the anti-war, anti-Bush, anti-U.S. crowd has now got to pick a new fight. The war has gone extremely well, the Iraqi people see us as liberators, the Iraqi people have begun an uprsising against Saddam and overall, civilian casualties have been low. To quote the Iraqi on the news clip I posted earlier.

"If you leave Saddam in power you GUARANTEE DEATH, if you remove Saddam from power there will be death but only for a shor time."

Indian Guy & Glenn: You both talked about "Armchair Quarterbacks". I can't speak for everyone here, but I am in the process of joining the service as we speak and would be more than willing to trade spots with any of the fellas over there that want to come home. Also in my opinion be an "Armchair Quarterback" who backs the war is at least proactive rather than running in circles like the anti folks.

To the rocket scientist that said, "people die painfully in war" thank you for the outstanding insight into warfare. Yes, people die painfully in war, people also die without ever knowing it.

"You still don't get it, don't you. NONE in the peace-movement wanted the sanctions. It was the US and the UK that maintained the bloody sanctions for 12 years. France and Russia didn't want the sanctions either."

Schoenorama: First off, proper grammar would be, "You still don't get it, do you?" Now that that is out of the way lets get to the point. NO YOU DON'T get it. Without MILITARY ACTION, Saddam and his thugs were going to continue breaking U.N. sanctions and building chemical weapons along with posing a threat to the world. If your not for military action then exactly how would you like Saddam to be handled? Sanctions etc are not going to work.

heavymetal

Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:29 am

TThe silence is almost deafening.

It's always quiet in your own little world.

zeus01

Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:07 pm

Everyone applaud: Clap Clap Clap

This post has demonstrated liberal ignorance at its finest. Ha ha. Just watch. When this is all over and Iraq is a prosperous, modern country and those who died in the line of fire (civilian and anti-saddam) forces are called hero's, ignorant fools like Indian guy and crew will hang their heads in shame. Thousands of Iraq's cheer on coalition troops, praising them for liberating Iraq. Maybe 1k people are innocently dead, but how many might die under Saddam? Thousands. Why are people so ignorant.

Thumper

Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:01 pm

Airplay: And, the question of why the US took on this "fight" with a third world country that has been crippled by sanctions for 12 years. Can you imagine if you had to take on a country like Korea? Oh wait....Rummie probably considered that and went for the easy country with the oil...

Hell if they wanted to take on an easy country for oil they could have taken over an easy country like Canada!

airplay

Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:03 pm

Thumper,

Good point. I wouldn't put it past Bush. That's why we're all worried. The only problem is that I think Bush thinks that Canada is somewhere near Australia....

N79969

Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:33 pm

Roy,

Aren't you for having India take care of Pakistan once and for all? On the basis that India has a 'better' nuclear arsenal? And that India would survive and Pakistan would not? You need to resolve your own warmongering tendencies before deriding others for their 'armchair' warrior attitudes. I suspect if your wish comes true, it might get a little warmer in Pune.

To the rest:

President Bush is no great orator nor is he a great statesman. However, he is a tenacious and courageous leader. In the months that preceded this war, he bet the entire farm on it. He gave up political approval and subjected the economy to great uncertainty (to his political detriment). The economy is still under the pall of war and he has an uphill battle ahead until it recovers. If he wanted to help his buddies in the business world, fighting Iraq would have been pretty low on his 'to-do' list. It has ruined many people. I am sure many execs have options that are now underwater. Whether you agree with his assessment or not, GWB is fiercely determined to prevent a repeat of 9/11. Saddam's stockpile became a lot more ominous in the post 9/11 way of evaluating threats to our security.

Glenn

Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:09 pm

Actually, I dunno if you would call it Strange Silence. This thread amongst all teh others seems to be pretty healthy.

CX747

Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:24 pm

While some of the Anti anything movement has shown up, your posts have been few and far between. Basically you have little to argue against as the war continues to go well and even the Iraqi people are now backing it. Where is the "Aussie Posse"?

avt007

Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:27 pm

It could be that many people have burned out on this subject. This is the first war related thread I have opened in quite a few days. We get enough from the media as it is.

ILOVEA340

Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:43 pm

You guys always want to keep arguing, some of us refrain from the rediculous comments for a few days and you bash us for that, I can still come up with many reasons for why I am against the war, the fact is I'm not going to waste my time on such a naive forum which does not understand respect or acceptance.

MD-90

Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:36 pm

You know, if Roy is boycotting all American and British products... I'd be very surprised if there weren't Intel or AMD processors used to run this site. Or IBM, Veritas, or other software companies. Or Johan using Windows or Java. Thinking along those lines, shouldn't Roy also boycott airliners.net, even though it's not an American site? I'll bet the answer is YES.

Sabena 690

Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:11 pm

The reason I almost stopped replying in those thread, is because I cannot withtstand the blindness and dumbness by some forum members.

Live in your own world, don't look at long term consequences, be pro that a$$hole in the withe house, but I have better things to do than trying to give you some information that this pre-emptive war is the worst thing America could have done without the support of the UN...

If you really believe your president did a good job, fine for you...

This is the truth: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/371364/, but this will of course not be said on the american propaganda machine