DVD Player For "All Regions"?

Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:52 pm

Question here -
xxx
I have TV with various "all system" video (VHS) capability - NTSC, PAL and SECAM... but for my various DVDs, I need separate players...
xxx
Are there any "all system" (or "all regions") DVD players available... Would appreciate brand name - model - approximate price - any voltage OK...
xxx
Thanks for your help  Smile
(s) Skipper

saintsman

RE: DVD Player For "All Regions"?

Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:04 pm

Multi region DVD players are very common in the UK. You can also buy single region and get them re-coded. I believe that this is a simple operation and the codes are available on the net. I expect someone can point you in the right direction.

VonRichtofen

Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:05 pm

Not sure about players, but I know some DVD's are made for all regions.

sccutler

Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:08 pm

Skip-

The regional coding "feature" of DVDs is (in my humble opinion) nearly criminal. I cannot send my sister in Australia a DVD I have bought.

As for options, see:

http://www.dvdshippers.com/

see, also:

http://www.codefreedvd.com/

Now, next time you head to Dallas, come flying with this greenhorn.

Warmest regards.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

lapper

Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:49 pm

I bought a Pioneer multi region DVD player from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk) last week. Only £99. It can be done, but you need to know where to go.

POSITIVE RATE

Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:32 pm

I've got a Playstation 2 and i use it to watch both PAL and NTSC format dvd's- works fine. Another consideration is how new your television is. This will determine whether you can watch certian dvd's due to its refresh rate. Older tv's-more than 10 years old probably won't play some formats.

POSITIVE RATE

Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:43 pm

I checked out the Ezydvd website and they reckon that all dvd players sold in PAL countries(Australia) play both NTSC and PAL discs, but your TV monitor must be NTSC compatible in order to view in full colour. Although more recent TV's have this function you should check your TV manual for more information. Just a question, how old is your television?

Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:23 pm

You want Region free and macrovision disabled if you buy a DVD player.

ADG

Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:14 am

Thanks a bunch to all of you regarding the info - and to those who will bring some more info - yes my TV is rather new, all systems - all regions compatible - any voltage as well (!), has surround sound etc... and plays any VHS video in PAL, NTSC or SECAM formats but for the DVD I have to have two seperate players...
xxx
Why in hell did (SONY is the brand of all that) made it so convenient for the VVHS, but did not think about the problems if playing DVD... strange...
xxx
Again, thanks a million to all of you  Smile
(s) Skipper

Marcus

Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:29 am

I have a Philips 704 multiregion DVD player.......bought it over the internet at www.famsa.com in Mexico.......I have used it with DVD's from regions 1,2,3 and 4......region free DVD's, VCD's, CD's and MP3 discs

Since you are in Argentina, I could suggest the online stores at Terra, De compras, Fiera, etc.

Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

NJTurnpike

Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:37 am

I can heartily recommend the Apex 3201 player. It provides (undocumented) codefree, Macrovision-disabled operation and outputs to both PAL and NTSC. I have two of 'em - they're only $100 (if you can still find one)

covert

Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:42 am

Wait Skipper, hold up you guys... The region encoding on DVD's is separate from the colour system (NTSC/PAL/SECAM). Regardless of the colour system, the encoding still stands....can't play region 1 on European units, and vice versa.

However, multiregional DVD players are getting cheaper and cheaper, and try playing it on a pc...
none