GunFighter 6
Topic Author

Again, The Netherlands Is The Best Nation!

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:20 pm

Well if someone else can say it, i can too.

We have no active parlement
and all the other good things  Big thumbs up

And to put oil on the fire...
americans claim the US is the land of the free ?? well dudes try the Netherlands, THATS FREE!!!
everything is legal

oh yeah and we have a queen..

Andreas

RE: Again, The Netherlands Is The Best Nation!

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:22 pm

But a lot of caravaneers who use German autobahns and you never ever were Football World Champion...that's on the liability side, but I do love Amsterdam!!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

GunFighter 6
Topic Author

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:26 pm

My goodness, please dont mention the soccer.
we are die trying to get qualified for the EK... we are praying  Big thumbs up

well guess you can't have it all..

donder10

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:28 pm

The Netherlands also beat the US in some 'best place to do business in' awards in The Economist relatively recently with your open culture being one of the main reasons.
I remember one year in France in the Loire ,on a campsite being offered a lift on a quad-cycle thingy by a bunch of Dutch kids who were about 11 ,in fluent English!And this country is about to drop the requirement for all kids from 11-16 to study a foreign language!''EDUCATION,EDUCATIO,EDUCATION'', my ass!

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:29 pm

Thanks for giving us Bergkamp.  Big thumbs up
In Arsene we trust!!

Alpha 1

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:30 pm

If it's the best for you, that's great. No one should tell you it's not.

gr325

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:33 pm

And guess where the best beer is brewed? In holland!!! Big grin
Grolsch rules

"You should have gone to specsavers"

MxCtrlr

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:33 pm

GunFighter6, I was in AMS on business a few years ago and LOVED EVERY MINUTE of it!!!! The city was fantastic, the people genuinely friendly and helpful, the public transportation was more than adequate and the city itself was kept so clean (street washers/scrubbers/vacuums every night downtown). All that AND legal pot & the Red Light District! A great place!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

donder10

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:39 pm

Thanks for giving us Bergkamp.
What about Bronnie;?  Smile

jwenting

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:41 pm

And guess where the best beer is brewed? In holland!!!
Grolsch rules

Twente, not Holland!  Big thumbs up
I wish I were flying

GunFighter 6
Topic Author

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:44 pm

k heb wel moal kehr grolschhhhh had. ma die kerl die me dat anbod hek votjacht  Smile hmm how is that.. twents dialect not that bad at all  Smile

hehe.. ALMELOOOO

petertenthije

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:55 pm

Twents? Sounds more like drunk!

Just to join in the gang, I love Grolsch too, and De Achterhoek, "Het onverwachte Nederland, met natuurlijk Radio Ideaal". Can anyone advice Bush that there are terorist ruling Radio Ideaal. They are soo crap!
Attamottamotta!

Scorpio

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:03 pm

And guess where the best beer is brewed? In holland!!!
Grolsch rules

Please tell me that's a joke. Here in Belgium, we do our dishes in that stuff you guys call beer. Same goes for Heineken, btw.  Big grin

GunFighter 6
Topic Author

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:07 pm

Insult!!!

Juliler Thats good Not!
hehe altough i must say Hoegaarden is quite nice....
especially when its hot.  Big thumbs up

but there is no way around it. Grolsch is the best. Biertje?

Scorpio

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:16 pm

Grolsch is the best. Biertje?

Uhm... you're contradicting yourself with that statement. Grolsch is not beer. That stuff gave me the runners for two days last year, and I only had 5!

It's slightly better than Heineken though, but that can hardly be considered a compliment...

You want real beer? Come to the land of the beer, Belgium.

Andreas

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:20 pm

You want real beer? Come to the land of the beer, Belgium.

Ahem I'm not really a beer man, more into red wine, but that goes too far now. Germany is the land of beer, none other!! Please keep to the facts of life, maybe Belgium is the beer country of Benelux, but otherwise.....?

Banco

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:32 pm

Actually that fizzy rubbish you call beer on the continent is all gnats um...water. You should come to the land of real ale....

(Ducks to avoid incoming!)  Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Andreas

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:33 pm

Correct Banco, but lucky me, I always live there!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin

Banco

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:36 pm

So why on earth do you support the German football team Andreas?  Big grin

Are you severely lacking in taste and humour? Big grin

Andreas

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:42 pm

Well, in this case it goes together very well *lol*, what a coincidence. (especially since I work for a British bank...what a party that was during the Championships this year, and from the quarter finals onwards nobody dared to say filthy words like 1:5 or Munich 2001 Big grin).

btw: usually I don't support German football, I don't even watch those friendlies anymore, only when I have to deal with Brits and Dutch, then I'm highly patriotic!! And deservedly so Big grin Big grin Big grin

Banco

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:44 pm

Oh, I'm sorry Andreas. I could have sworn you said 5-1.  Big grin

jaysit

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:47 pm

And some of the hottest guys around.

And the women aint bad lookin either.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Andreas

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:51 pm

Well my granddad always said: Don't hack around on the losers all the time...sometimes you just have to let the sun shine on them...but only when it's not relevant. ok, hey I don't have a prob with Munich, at least not anymore ( Angry  Angry  Angry ) *cough*, but it didn't exactly help you guys in the long run.

btw: I watched the semi-final Germany-South Korea on the trader floor in London and I did not keep my voice down...all those traders did, though...wonder why...

Banco

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:54 pm

I supect they were thinking "if only we'd lost to Germany, we too could have had a piss-easy run to the World Cup final"  Big grin

lima

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:55 pm

The Netherlands is fantastic, most people associate only with Amsterdam, but there is so much more beyond. Amsterdam has the nicest people, the most relaxed. On other regions they are nice but more serious, business-oriented.

Only drawback is the terrible local food (i.e. stampot, frikandelen and most snacks, huispot, etc) but Asian food from former colonies hopefully compensate.

Andreas

Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:08 am

Maybe, maybe.... well unfortunately...but you know quite well what happened. *ggg*
Anyway we Brits and Germans get along with each other very well, at least in the naking community, therefore we need our football wars (as long as Germany wins of course, but that is usually the case), I mean otherwise we would co-exist in peace and harmony, and who wants that?????  Big grin

hmmm...somehow this thread was about Holland, but we seem to have wandered off...

gr325

Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:16 am

I have to admit. After grolsch my favourite beer is PALM.
But grolsch is much better of course
"You should have gone to specsavers"

racko

Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:09 am

"I supect they were thinking "if only we'd lost to Germany, we too could have had a piss-easy run to the World Cup final""

Germany got its place in this group, because they were one of the 8 set group leaders. We got this place because German football, in contrary to English football, is highly regarded in the world. The results of this world cup just proved that this is correct.

The English always have to go back to the World War when it comes to football matches showes that even they know who's the boss. C'mon, the Brits even play rugby, because they did lots of research which sport they could play without having to face a serious German team.
Get over it banco, you have other strengths, like your language. We have to learn your language in order to tell you that you suck at football  Smile

racko, just kidding of couse. I mean, at least you made it to the world cup... Big grin

Banco

Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:09 am

Ah, Racko, my friend - I can always rely on you to bite....!  Big grin  Big thumbs up

jwenting

Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:28 am

Since when is our breakaway province to the south better than us?
I wish I were flying

Scorpio

Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:14 am

Since when is our breakaway province to the south better than us?

Since we kicked your asses out in 1830, that's when  Big grin

keesje

Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:22 am

The Netherlands is the best place ... to take no decisions.

Everybody is involved in every decision. Lenghty Discussions follow in which all disadvantages play the most important role.

In the end a non efective compromise is made or everything is postponed ...

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

No, it a good place to live, just like many other countries I´ve been to ..

In the Netherlands there are probably better places to live then in Leiden... just have not seen it sofar  Smile

(summer hang-out short distance from my house, next to one of the many old channels through the city center  Smile
I think the Founding Fathers made a mistake staying here for only a few months ...
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

atenara

Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:49 am

Congratulations, i hope to live there someday

LFutia

Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:19 am

Goedemiddag...

This is from the America is the best nation in the world post...

I do plan on moving to Amsterdam in 8-10 years. I chose the NL because of today's world situation. Now all that could change...
PLEASE DO NOT BE OFFENDED BY WHAT I SAY. THIS IS ONLY OPINION

The American's don't like the Canadians and the Canadian's don't like the Americans so I'm Told.

Not living in Britain because they can't make pizza correctly so my mom says.

Not living in France because they didn't help the US against the war in Iraq.

Not living in Germany for what they did to the Jews. So where does that leave me? Netherlands. They have nothing against the Americans or the Iraqi's. They aren't really doing anything about the war but yet you don't hear them on the news.

Later...

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

ph-kca

Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:21 am

It strikes to me that some people, even in The Netherlands itself, are talking about Holland, when they're referring to The Netherlands.
Holland is only the former county of Holland, nowadays roughly the Provinces Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland. The correct name of the country still is Nederland / The Netherlands.

Since we kicked your asses out in 1830, that's when

Well, if the French hadn't helped the southern part (Belgium) during the Dutch "Tiendaagse Veldtocht" in 1831, it probably would've ended in another way and our asses wouldn't have been kicked out.

LJ

Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:11 am

It strikes to me that some people, even in The Netherlands itself, are talking about Holland, when they're referring to The Netherlands.

You probably have to thank the Dutch Tourist Board for this one as they tend to promote "Holland" instead of "The Netherlands" due to the fact "Holland" sounds better (and thus is more marketable). I do get questions if I tell, when abroad, that I live in "The Netherlands". However if I say I come from Holland (which is correct as I live in Holland) they seem to know where it is (or at least pretend they know).

erj190

Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:28 am

I am absolutely certain, with no doubt, that the best country in the world is by far and without discussion TRANSILVANIA !!!

Scorpio

Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:33 am

Well, if the French hadn't helped the southern part (Belgium) during the Dutch "Tiendaagse Veldtocht" in 1831, it probably would've ended in another way and our asses wouldn't have been kicked out.

Wishful thinking  Big grin the sign of a bad loser  Big grin

LFutia

Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:44 am

Don't forget The NL also have the best airline livery, and transitting airport in Europe.

Leo/ORD

kl713

Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:59 am

I really love my country....especially the 2 biggest cities (Amsterdam and Rotterdam), my hometown (Arnhem) and our biggest Airport (Duh! Big grin), I hope I will have a chance to move to Amsterdam when I will return from Australia next year.....

Only 2 things in this county I really dislike: first of all the weather (I'm sure a lot of you would agree  Laugh out loud), and my local football club....and that for a born and raised "Arnhemmer"  Laugh out loud

I have my reasons for really hating this club...and because of that, besides Ajax I really support the brothers from the other side of the river Waal....
hehehehe.....

by the way: people abroad making plans to visit the Netherlands upcoming summer, especially in the weekend of july 25/26, and you want a great day out of Amsterdam.....try the Milan festival in Zuiderpark in The Hague, one of the biggest Asian outdoor festivals in Europe. 3 keywords: sarees, Bollywood and a lot of chutney Big grin

Or a little bit further south....in Rotterdam: the Summer Carnival, the Dutch answer to London's Notting Hill carnival

Two multicultural festivals that will show you the other side of the Netherlands, besides tulips, museums and pot  Big thumbs up

[Edited 2003-04-12 01:13:41]
732 733 734 73G 738 739 742 743 744 752 763 77E 773 77W 319 320 332 333 343 388 M11 146 DH4

ph-kca

Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:21 am

Scorpio Pity that you seem to think a bad loser. Maybe it looked like it, but didn't say it cuz I wouldn't like the fact that Belgium gained independence from the Dutch, but I said it as a probable fact and to "put a bit oil on the fire" out of Dutch-Belgian rivalry. I don't have some sort of grieving feelings that our "zuider-buren" wanted to be independent from us. The only time when I have grieving feelings towards Belgium is with soccer IF the "Rode Duivels" defeat "Oranje".

LJ That is the reason why I also said: some people, even in The Netherlands itself. I may sound like a "mierenneuker/nitpicker", but I think it's the same as when some people say England when referring to Great Britain. I know that besides the Dutch Tourist Board also many souvenir-books say Holland. But although Holland may marketable sound better and may be more known abroad, I just think that especially the "official bodies" should inform foreigners right about The Netherlands and historically/geographically Holland for the whole Netherlands just isn't right.

Leo/ORD I hope you are referring with the best airline livery to the Koninklijke Luchtmacht Maatschappij (KLM)?

Btw, how about snacks? Frikandel, rundvleeskroket, pikanto?

KRIC777

Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:03 am

oh yeah and we have a queen..

My roommate has made two trips to Amsterdam in the past three years and says that judging by what he saw, you in fact have quite a lot of, ahem, queens ...stands to reason in such an open, liberal society  Smile

(not intended as a homophobic post ..just a little play on words)

I LOVE EWR

Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:08 am

GunFighter 6, glad you have a great respect for your nation. I respect that opinion and patriotism that you have for your home nation!!!

racko

Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:21 am

"Well, if the French hadn't helped the southern part (Belgium) during the Dutch "Tiendaagse Veldtocht" in 1831, it probably would've ended in another way and our asses wouldn't have been kicked out."

Don't let some forum members know that. France helping and winning a war would cause serious mental disruption on them.

Schoenorama

Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:18 am

Is dit het kleuterklasje van airliners.net? Gottegot...

GunFighter 6:

"And to put oil on the fire..."

Is that a 'free' translation of the Dutch expression?

"everything is legal"

That apparently includes saying bullshit!

"we are die trying to get qualified for the EK... we are praying"

EK? EK?, European Knotting? European Knive-throwing?

EK is a Dutch abbreviation. I don't think many of the other people know what it stands for. Holland might be known throughout the world, our language isn't.

Gr325:

"Grolsch rules"

Please grow up.

Keesje:

"In the Netherlands there are probably better places to live then in Leiden... just have not seen it sofar"

I thought Leiden was the best place on earth too, until I grew up.

"summer hang-out short distance from my house, next to one of the many old channels through the city center"

And when was the last time there was a decent summer in Holland? 1854?

KL713:

"try the Milan festival in Zuiderpark in The Hague, one of the biggest Asian outdoor festivals in Europe. 3 keywords: sarees, Bollywood and a lot of chutney

Or a little bit further south....in Rotterdam: the Summer Carnival, the Dutch answer to London's Notting Hill carnival
"

Yes, when it comes to originality, we Dutch are the best...

Weer een lange, vervelende vrijdagavond, hé jongens?
(Another long, boring Friday Night, guys?)  Wink/being sarcastic
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

LFutia

Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:18 pm

PH-KCA Ja, Koninklijk Luchtvaart Maatschappij does have the best livery w/ its blue that i call KLM Blue.

I need to learn more dutch if i want to live in Holland but I do listen to Brainpower -- Downloaded it off Kazaa.... Got the idea from MTV Europe Awards in Barcelona... Only the Dutch ppl would know who Brainpower is!

petertenthije

Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:47 am

Why should you need to know more Dutch, it would be very much appreciated, but most of the Dutch speak English anyway.

And a special message for Schoenorama:
SPELBREKER! Big grin
(party pooper)
Attamottamotta!

LFutia

Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:38 pm

Well if i would like to live in holland, I will be subjected to know dutch tests but then i have read on expatica.com that if you attempt to speak dutch, then then can help you out and then they'll discover that your not such a bad person but if you come over there w/ no knowing of dutch then the dutch ppl won't help you out...

Leo/ORD

petertenthije

Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:35 am

I think that expatica.com has its facts mixed up. You do not need to speak Ducth in order to get some help from the Dutch. Almost everyone in Holland speaks English, it may not be fluent but you will know what we mean and we will know what you mean. In the larger cities you will find that everyone speaks English, with the exception of the elderly and the very young. In the rural areas less English is spoken, but you will still have no problems finding someone who speaks English.
There is a reason tourists around the world find Holland, and it is not just drugs and flowers.  Big grin

If you want to live here permanently things will change. In this case you will have to learn basic Dutch, but as most Dutch people will admit the standards are not to high. When you are a refugee this will be paid for by the government, otherwise I believe you have to pay for it yourself.

For people who want to work her temporarily, like expats, knowing Dutch is not necessary. It will make your stay here easier and funnier (for us Big grin), but it is really not necessarry.

Actually, I have noticed from foreign students on my school that they were always approached in English. Even though they approach someone in (their version of) Dutch, we will answer back in English or German, depending on the accent the foreigner has!
Attamottamotta!

AerLingus

Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:44 am

Ik spreek ein weinig Nederlands.
Ik wil in de toekomst bezoeken.
P.S. Is mijn grammatica fatsoenlijk? Ik heb praktijk nodig.

-AerLingus  Smile
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!