Teenagers And Cars ... What To Do?

Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:18 pm

www.news.com.au

A FATHER and several teenagers told yesterday how they desperately tried to prevent two school friends cramming into the boot of an overloaded car shortly before it crashed, killing them both.

St Ignatius Riverview students Billy O'Connor and Sam Turner died instantly when the car packed with six girls slammed boot first into a power pole on a wet Mona Vale Rd at Ingleside on Sydney's northern beaches on Saturday.

Yesterday, school friends of the two, aged 18 and 17, spoke of last-minute attempts to stop them from getting in the boot of the Volkswagon Golf hatch being driven by a 17-year-old girl, a student from Queenwood School at Mosman.

The Year 12 students were at a joint 18th birthday party for classmates Ross Walsh and Angus Campbell at Ingleside when the girl offered to ferry partygoers from the house to Mona Vale. She was on her fourth lap when the accident happened, just two streets from the party.

"One of the boy's dads and another kid tried to stop them from getting into the boot," a fellow partygoer and Riverview student said.

"But they still got in. We still can't believe this has happened."

The boy and his friend earlier had ridden with the girl.

"She seemed fine," the boy said of the driver. "She was just doing everyone a favour. We all feel sorry for her."

St Ignatius headmaster Shane Hogan was woken by a phone call from the Year 12 boarding master, whom the remaining Riverview boys at the party had contacted when they learned of the accident.

By 2.15am Mr Hogan was at the party himself, ascertaining what had happened.

He was told that the VW was overloaded with eight passengers and that the boys had been advised by peers not to travel in the boot.

"There were kids standing there saying 'This is a silly thing to do'. They'd asked the boys to get out of the boot," he said.

"This is an appalling accident that should never have occurred. They made an appalling judgment."

Police said yesterday the driver and her passengers still were too distraught to be interviewed.

Although police have said beer cans were found at the crash scene, Mr Hogan denied the party was a boozy affair.

"I was told that the beer ran out quite early and that people had begun to leave by 12.30am, which is quite subdued for an 18th," he said.

Schoolmates of the two boys yesterday pinned a Riverview school jersey and messages on the power pole in tribute to the two talented sportsmen.

A message read: "To Wammy and Billy, you'll live in our hearts and memories forever, all our love, from the View Boys."

Harden Rugby Club captain Danny Flannery said the O'Connor family was a huge part of the club and that Billy's father Peter had helped start the club.

"Everyone knows the O'Connors," Mr Flannery said yesterday. Billy was "very energetic and a good little footballer too".

"It will rock Harden for a long time," he said.

Mr Flannery said the entire rugby club was close to the family and would be at the funeral today.

I think there is only so much you can do with teenagers in cars, our government is struggling to come up with a solution to try and lower the death toll in a group who feels that they don't need to be told anything about driving and who feel they are the best drivers on the road. Time after time we read about accidents like this, caused by inexperience and poor driving skills yet all attempts to wake the kids up fail.

I'm not sure there is an answer, but not a week goes by when we're not faced with a horific accident involving teenagers in cars... I wonder what the solution is.

ADG

AC320

RE: Teenagers And Cars ... What To Do?

Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:39 pm

This isn't an accident caused by inexperience and poor skills, it was caused by sheer stupidity.
fuddle duddle

NWA

Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:27 am

I agree with AC320. This was not because they were not expirenced enough. It was because they were just plain stupid, and they paid the price.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

MD-90

Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:55 am

This is sad. 8 people in a Golf is going to seriously overload it, to the point where driving it would be dangerous. And how the heck are two teenaged boys going to get into the cargo area of a Golf, anyway? That's a mighty small space for two guys. But of course, that doesn't leave any room for any kind of crumple zone in an accident. That's a sad story.

MaxPowers

Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:46 am

iDiots.

Max Powers

avt007

Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:52 am

Teenagers and cars will always be a bad mix. I`d be willing to bet that almost every member here could relate a similiar story from their teenage years. There is nothing you can do, except maybe raise the driving age to 21.

airplay

Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:11 am

I don't agree with raising the driving age. That will just raise the age of the people dying in auto accidents.

Training is the answer. Increase the standards required to obtain a drivers licence. Graduated licences are a good idea too. This gives you additional licenced privilages as you train. For instance, not everyone is skilled enough to travel at high speeds on a crowded highway.

avt007

Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:17 am

Personally I feel that new drivers should not be allowed to have passengers. How often do you hear of a lone teenage driver having a bad accident versus a carload of teenagers? I've been there,everybody egging the driver on until something stupid happens.

goingboeing

Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:45 am

Gotta agree Avt007 - A few years ago in my town, 5 high school girls were killed when the mustang convertible they were in was hit by a van. None of the 5 were wearing a seatbelt, in fact, the 3 in the back seat were sitting on the top of the rear seatbacks. The road was a two lane with a 45 mph speed limit, the right front wheel dropped off the roadway, the driver overcorrected into the path of the van in the oncoming lane and all of them were thrown from the car and killed. Oh, the obligatory crosses and flowers marked the spot, and the high school they attended had the "remember the girls" posters. But it doesn't stop carloads of kids from "showing off". Things like that shake them up for maybe a week. But after that, they go back to the "that would never happen to me" mindset.

avt007

Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:51 am

This is still in the papers here- 4 teenagers, passed a car at high speed, misjudged it. Result: 4 dead teenagers, 1 dead guy in his 20s. And on it goes.......

NWA

Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:38 am

Older people should not be able to drive IMO. I am talking about 75 and so on. Mind you, this was not a crash because they were not trained. They pulled a stupid move. Same with drunk drivers. Its not they cant drive, they just make a REAL stupid decision. Crashs will happen at any age. True, teens crash more. I am also willing to bet teens also drive more (alot, anyways). I will admit it, my father is a better driver than I. I recived no points on my drivers training test, but I still have alot to learn. Its all part of expirence. If we raised it to 21, there would be just as many crashs at 21. I will admit it, I have done stupid crap in my car. Hell, going down a dirt road I throw the Parking brake, and its fun! Stpid, yes. I shouldn't do it. Getting road headis also stupid. I did it when i had a GF. When we are young, we have all done stupid tings, unless your a dork and your one of thoes kids who drove 35 in a 45. The point is, no matter how old we are, when you start out something your going to have alot to learn. Its sad these kids died, it really is. They died from a stupid mistake.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

goingboeing

Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:00 am

NWA - it was almost a weekly occurance in Kansas City to read about a carload of teenagers who were killed while "hill jumping". That's where you get going really fast down a road (usually two lane) and becoming airborne as you crest the top of the hill. Trouble is twofold - to get airborne, you've got to be going almost 80 and second - when you're airborne you've got zero control over the car. None. How much brains does it take to understand that when your wheels aren't touching the ground, you can't steer/stop/slow down???

Teens driving more? I doubt that. Your parents most likely drive to and from work every day, as well as the errands that always need to be run. FWIW, I still exceed the speed limit many times, so I'm not a "dork" going 35 in a 45. Neither am I going 55 in a parking lot, as many teens (usually with passengers) are wont to do in my area. And I think to take it a step further - what Avt007 is implying is that teens might be less likely to do "stupid things" when they are by themselves and don't have their friends in the car with them. And even if a teenager doesn't exceed the speed limit, yet exhibits less "dorkiness" by driving 45...45 can be lethal if your eyes and attention are on the conversation in the back seat and not on the car that is stopping in front of you.

Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:23 am

NWA,

The death toll in the 75 year and above age group is much lower than the teenage death toll so i'm not sure I agree with you. However, Australia has a requirement for the elderly to have yearly (i think it's yearly) checks and tests and medical certificates to retain their drivers licences so I feel that here at least there is no issue with the elderly.

The only real issue I see is the impatience of youth. The elderly drive slower, and you'll end up taking a few minutes longer, live with it. If the guy who was behind me had been a tad more patience he wouldn't be looking at paying the cost of the back end repair to my celica.

I agree the problem with youth accidents is stupidity, but it happens so often that something really needs to be done. I don't agree that we should raise the age to drive as that really would just raise the age of the kids being killed. There must be some way to get through to kids that what they are doing is dangerous. I quite like the no passenger rule but i'm not sure how practical that is.

AAMI (insurance) has a deal where if your parents are insured with them they pay for a 2 day driving course after you've had your P's for 6 months and if you pass that course you lose your P's after 1 year instead of 3 which is good. I'm not sure how effective that is though.

Bit of a dilemma isn't it? Kids don't want lectures from old fogies as kids always know best but they need something, it's just a matter of figuring out what it is. Here we run TV adds that really don't work .. we've tried nice adds and even nasty graphic adds but the whole "it won't happen to me" attitude is alive and well and ruining the lives of many.

ADG

avt007

Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:30 am

I agree with training and graduated licencing. When I got my motorcycle licence, it was a complete and total joke. In no way did it test my ability to safely ride anywhere outside a parking lot. I did at my own expense, take a proper riding school course, which probably saved my life more than once. Where I live, graduated licencing is in effect, though I don't know the details. However, I would suggest that mandatory driver training courses would be a great idea. Perhaps a basic course first and after a couple of years, a refresher and advanced course. When my kids are old enough to drive, they are not touching a car without a professional driving course.

gocaps16

Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:35 am

I agree on better training. I think getting a driver's license should be like getting your private pilot's license.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy But I know alot of 16 and 17 years old who are great and careful drivers while some, like these teens...stuffing 6 girls in a small boot is illegal. What were these kids thinking. If I were one of them, I wouldn't want to ride with them. As least im not stupid as these kids.

And now look at kids buying HIGH performance and fancy cars. All they want to do is 1) show-off to their friends, oh wow, a Ford Mustang GT and 2) SPEED SPEED SPEED. Man, I wish I had rich folks.  Laugh out loud

Kevin

avt007

Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:38 am

Oh yeah, I forgot- all new drivers shall be forced to drive 1970s VW vans for the first 2 years, after which they can trade up to Chevettes! (Diesel only)  Smile

victech

Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:46 am

A friend of mine recently bought a '97 red Chevy Camaro...it took him three weeks to cream his front end in an allision with a tree. Why? Excessive speed--it seems that not only is this kid driving a car outside of what I consider to be a sane power-to-weight ratio, but also outside of the of a sane power-to-IQ ratio. Frankly, I think that any parent that approves of that is guilty of at least criminal stupidity (not to mention his insurance--insuring him, thus allowing him to drive this car is criminal, too).

[In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a teen and drive a very nice 1988 Buick Park Ave V6--now that's a sane car for anyone to drive.]

avt007

Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:56 am

It took me years to afford a car powerful enough to get into trouble. Had I been driving a Mustang 5.0 at 17, there is a good chance I'd have written it off, too.

Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:59 am

Hmm.. the idea of limiting car size is a good one, however the accident above and a multitude of others that have occurred recently around here have occured in 1.6-2litre cars which fall well within the "OK" range so i'm unsure of it's usefullness.

I think we need to find a way to convince kids to be careful. Maybe a "drag strip/racetrack" where they can go and drive fast when they want to is an idea. We used to have one here but the govmint closed it down whilst at the same time complaining that the kids are using public streets for their drag racing and burnouts.

They've also introduced a law that allows them to keep the cars of idiots on the road which is an interesting law and i'm not quite sure i'm with or against it, will wait and see.

ADG

doug_or

Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:05 am

going with the pilot license theme- maybe they need enodrsements for complex and high performance Smile

I still don't understand why parents buy their kids sport cars. Do they hate them? are they trying to "off" 'em?
When in doubt, one B pump off

AMERICAN757

Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:20 am

thats why im not letting anybody ride in my car.

FrequentFlyKid

Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:38 pm

Raise the driving age? That's not the answer. This country seems to have a feeling of just putting a band-aid over problems instead of goign after the root of the problem. People, teenagers, in this case make mistakes. Sad as it is you can't just take away driving rights. How would you expect teenagers to have jobs, etc. etc.

Drinking age should be eighteen in this country also. Now, before I get the "you're just a teenager" comments, let me justify what I am saying. If you look at drinking related death statistics of teenage/late-20's in this country and other countries there is no comparision. The United States makes underage drinking a problem. Other countries have limits at age 18 and 19 and they don't have a problem because they don't make it one.

Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:34 pm

FFK,

We shouldn't have to accept that "kids just make mistakes", a solution needs to be found. It's not like they're just killing themselves.

ADG

goingboeing

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:09 am

FFK - great - I'm not famiar with other countries but the US, but is it common in those countries for mom and pop to give junior a new 250-300 hp car for them to go to work or school in? Then they put friends in it and are tempted to "Show them what it can do"...now you want to lower the drinking age so we can mix a few Budweisers in with all that? Sorry, but I'd rather not lose my wife, daughter or life to some drunken kid in a Camaro who was out "making a mistake".

jcs17

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:11 am

I dont think that teenage drivers are the problem...stupidity is.

Teenagers are always going to be doltish things, and sometimes it catches up to them---whether its cramming 7 people in a hatchback, doing hard drugs, chugging liquor, or driving without seatbelts.

There are always going to be dangers when youre a teenager. Most teenagers are responsible, but others are not.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

goingboeing

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:15 am

Sad as it is you can't just take away driving rights

In the United States, driving has always been a privlege, not a right.

jcs17

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:19 am

I'm not famiar with other countries but the US, but is it common in those countries for mom and pop to give junior a new 250-300 hp car for them to go to work or school in? Then they put friends in it and are tempted to "Show them what it can do"

I love when we see these bitter posts, angry that their parents didnt get them a car, or got them a p.o.s. Why do you care? Its the parents' decision, its none of yours. Although, I admit its pretty dumb to get a teenager a sports car, but if you feel that your teenager is responsible enough to handle a fast car...by all means, go ahead and get it.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

goingboeing

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:31 am

JCS17...bitter? Hardly. My first car was a 1973 Plymouth Road runner, bought in 1974 when I was 17, with my money, insured and maintained with my own money. Interesting word there...responsiblity. I kind of believe that when a kid has to buy his own car, they are more aware of the "responsiblity" of everything that is involved in it. They have a respect for property that those who have been given their cars seem to lack. You rarely see a kid who is responsible for his own car out "farming" yards, egging cars, and driving the daylights out of the vehicle...they know that if it breaks, then THEY have to fix it. Unlike the kid who had the car given to them and mom and pop will pay for gas and fixing any "problems" that might crop up with the car. A lot of the kids who are given fast cars are not given them because mom and dad felt like they were "responsible" enough to handle a fast car...they gave it to them as some sort of way to keep them out of their hair.

OH-LZA

Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:13 am

Sad story. RIP  Crying

Alex

Greg

Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:50 am

Driving in the last ten years in the US is not a 'privelege'...its a necessity.
I'll agree there is a serious problem...and likely not a simple solution.

I was one of the priveleged kids that had the 300hp spanking new car on my 16th birthday. However, I also was instilled with the values that it was necessary to follow my folks rules:

--absolutley no drinking or drugs;
--only as many passengers as seat belts;
--in the garage for a month for every ticket you get
--in the garage for a week for every neighbor that makes a complaint (squealing tires..speeding...full stops, etc).

Worked OK for me. Even if it was in the garage for a couple months.

avt007

Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:02 am

Driving is not a necessity. Before anyone jumps up and says "I can't get to work from my place without a car", consider this; if you didn't have a car to begin with, would your house be so far away? It usually comes down to lifestyle choice. I chose to live 50km from the airport because I can afford a nicer house there. If I didn't have or want a car, I'd have to make a lifestyle choice and either move closer to work or find another job. My best friend hasn't had a car for 20 years, we both worked at the same place. He lives close to work, and uses public transit. Kids don't "need" a car anymore than they "need" a cell phone. And the same goes for many adults as well.

goingboeing

Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:02 am

Sorry Greg - driving is still a privlege. There are alternate ways to get to and from school or work including, but not limited to bus, bicycle, walking. As indispensable as driving seems, it is still a nicety, not a necessity.

If a teenager cannot demonstrate the responsiblity to operate a car, including obeying speed limits (especially in residential zones), proper attention to the task at hand and not talking with passengers or on a damn cell phone (many adults can't talk and drive at the same time...kids shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car if they have to talk on the cell phone), and simple things like driving on the roadways and not thru peoples lawns, then they should have that privlege revoked for a long while.

aa61hvy

Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:07 am

I think there needs to be like grades of a drivers liscence, like trial period etc... I admit when I first started driving I was just ok. I was very fortunate to not be in any wrecks. Because I came close a few times.
Go big or go home

Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:13 am

I agree that a solution needs to be found that doesn't penalise responsible kids for the behaviour of the irresponsible, and the theory that it cleans up the gene pool is an interesting one.

However, there are far to many instances of them taking out others at the same time that negates any validity of just letting "kids be kids". Also, the loss felt by others at the death of these kids, even though they were idiots, is something you wouldn't wish upon your worst enemy.

So something must be done. Ignoring it and arguing against it are wastes of time (and lives). I think that teenagers need to be involved in any decision making about their driving rights and I think that it needs to be taken far more seriously.

I think that any infractions on the rules by P platers (first 3 years of driving) should result in a ban from driving and an extension of the Probationary period. I think that parents should not supply their kids with big new powerful toys that the kids will want to show off to their friends, no sports cars. I think that driver education training (like the police training) should be mandatory for probationary drivers, not once but every 3-6 months until they're off their p's.

Hows that for a start of the discussion.

ADG

Soku39

Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:57 am

Well I have no clue, well that and know one would listen to me (knowing some of my recent driving exploits  Big grin ). But raising the driving age to 21 isn't the answer then we'd have a bunch of kids about to get out of college, and able to "legaly drink" for the first time. Then we'll also have a bunch of people who have to drive to work everyday on our highways with only one year of experience.
The Ohio Player

goingboeing

Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:45 am

Raising the driving age isn't the answer. What should happen is a number of things:

1. A "graduated" license - as more responsiblity is demonstrated, more privleges are granted

2. No disctractions - no passengers, cell phone usage while driving, or mega bass stereo playing loud enough to be heard 3 blocks away for the first year of driving.

3. Zero tolerance for traffic violations for the first year - speeding, reckless driving, etc. gets the license yanked for a year.

yyz717

Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:40 pm

Nothing.

Teenagers will treat cars with the respect with which their parents raise them to respect expensive items. It all gets back to parental morals and standards.

I don't need legislation to raise my kids to respect the law & espensive property.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:04 pm

Well lets ask the teenagers in here, one of which has snuck out recently to partake in some illegal speeding activities.

Did your parents raise you with flawed valuses and no respect for the law and expensive property?

or are you simply spreading your teenage wings and pushing your set boundaries?

ADG

Soku39

Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:33 am

No my parents raised me with the best christian values possible, and I still do go to a christian highschool. But having a car is a total power trip for the first few years. I think that might have something to do with it.

Just to clarify once more It wasnt my car, and when I drive I never listen to excesivelly loud music or talk on the cell.
The Ohio Player

Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:08 am

So you'd disagree that what you are up to in your car is a direct response to parental neglect?

I don't believe the upbringing is necessarily a factor in this type of behaviour as much of it is peer pressure or personality. To suggest otherwise cannot do any good for anyone.

I like some of the suggestions being made here and have flipped an eMail to the appropriate Aussie Minister for inclusion in the study they are doing at the moment. I think it's appropriate that those within the age group be given a right of comment on this issue.

ADG

Soku39

Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:15 am

Of course it was wrong I dont disagree with that, but it was fun and I made some money off of it. So hey its all good.
The Ohio Player

NWA

Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:53 am

In michigan, there is levels of drivers licenses. Graduated is when you turn 16. you cannot have one viloation or your license gets pulled. I am almost 18 and I have my full license. I have been pulled over twice. I got a fix-it ticket for a headlight out, and I was going through a city named coldwater and the cops were like puling everyone over. I was pulled over by stae cop for going to close to the center line. I think he was just looking for a drunk driver, and since I was the only one in that lane at 1:30 A.M. , I was pulled over. Now then, I have been in the car a friend of mine got wreckless driving. he cut a corner and squleed the tires. One of the reason, IMO, I have not got more tickets is my dad. He has made oit clear one mess up, and the car is gone. I like to go do things, so I avoid getting tickets. Yes, that even includes a speeding ticket. I have sped, but in a place and a time I know there are no cops. For the most part though, I keep insane driving down to a minimum. I have a 93' corssica.

avt007

Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:28 am

Yet another headline here today- 16 years old, no drivers licence, sole occupant. Mustang is now in 3 pieces, speedo stuck at 180 kph. His mother is begging other teenagers to learn from this, but in the end it will continue, sadly.

yyz717

Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:55 am

His mother is begging other teenagers to learn from this

I would argue his mother is partly to blame. Did she not raise him to value property? The law? Safety?

Shame on her.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

avt007

Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:54 am

OK, yyz, I`ve had it. You are far too hard on others.You haven`t the slightest clue who she is, how she raised him, yet you personally attack her. Maybe just accept the fact that some teenagers haven`t got the maturity and judgement for driving.

yyz717

Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:00 am

Maybe just accept the fact that some teenagers haven`t got the maturity and judgement for driving.

And so his mother let him go out & drive a car? A killing machine? How kids (incl teenagers) act is a direct reflection of their raising & hence their parents.

I'll question anyone who lets their kids drive irresponsibly. Whether you've "had it" or not.

aloges

Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:06 am

"How kids (incl teenagers) act is a direct reflection of their raising & hence their parents."

It is not necessarily. Ever heard about how some people "protest" against their parents? Sometimes, education doesn't work out the way it's meant to.

"I'll question anyone who lets their kids drive irresponsibly."

You can't control people all the time.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

yyz717

Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:11 am

I agree there are exceptions Alogee.

But kids "rebelling" from their parents should not be given the car keys.

avt007

Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:14 am

YYZ, explain to me how anyone `"lets" their kid do anything. You make sound like she said "go ahead and drive like an idiot, that's fine by me". She did not "let" him kill himself.

yyz717

Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:32 am

It all comes back to raising your kids to respect the law, cars, their health & safety, & the safety of others. Such kids don't total their cars & kill themselves.