virgin744

Cyprus Border Opens

Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:46 pm

I read this morning on the BBC that the border has opened for a day in Cyprus allowing both Turkish & Greek cypriots to go across the border to visit the 'other' side. This isn't new as they have been allowed to do this for many years now but on a much more restricted level. This new approach is very interesting as both sides are also talking about strengthening their economical ties and this could be seen as anpther step towards unification. As a Turkish Cypriot I really find it hard to believe that there will be a Berlin Wall scenario there too, but stranger things HAVE happened....

However looking at the way the island is made up, I can only really see 2 federal states of Cyprus, just like what I think will be the only successful outcome in Iraq. When you have peoples of difference religion, language, traditions and beliefs I find in impossible to see any situation where they can live in peace.

I cant imagine what would happen if Turkish Cypriots were granted permission to gain Greek Cypriot passports, there would be so many trying to get them that there would be no more true cypriots left in the north, but kurds and mainland Turks!

virgin744

Alessandro

RE: Cyprus Border Opens

Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:08 pm

I crossed this border twice, lot of propaganda on both sides.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

virgin744

RE: Cyprus Border Opens

Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:45 am

Sadly though, it seems to be rather more intense on the Greek side.
I dont think having pictures of that ugly scene where the Greek died at the riots and having 'Turkish Law and Order...' stamped above the picture actually helps relations and gives fair representation of Turkish people.

virgin744