pacificjourney

Recent Movies Seen

Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:02 pm

Living where I do I am always far behind on the movies I have seen. Yesterday I saw 2 and was disappointed and very pleased.

"Gangs of NY" gets Oscar nominations and everyone says how great it is and then it turns out to be shit ! Talk about an hour too long and one pouting fag too far ...

"Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers" on the other hand was all that was priomised and more. Wow! Battle scenes, scenery, battle scenes, Gollum and those trees .... cool !

Your opinions, am I right or not ? Any other movies I probably haven't seen yet that are all hype like the Gangs of NY ?
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

mirrodie

RE: Recent Movies Seen

Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:21 pm

Only 3 days, 13 hours and 43 minutes to the X2 Opening!

I'll add to this after I have seen it.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

N79969

Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:30 pm

PJ,

Surprisingly, I agree with you. Although I thought Daniel Day-Lewis was really good in Gangs of New York. He was a very convincing 'native.'

pacificjourney

Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:49 pm

Yeah he was good but had no where to go with it. The story just degenerated into some cliche climactic battle ala Porkys, Grease or whatever. They had so much to work with - anti-conscription riots, lynchings, corrupt politics (all the makings of a great yarn) .... and what do we get. De Caprio and his sunken chest drooling over some bint with baaad eye-sight. Pathetic !

Andreas

Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:00 am

battle scenes, scenery, battle scenes, scenery *ggg* what did you expect, I mean the book is exactly the same, except the scenery part is a bit shorter.

Saw "The core" recently...bullshit of the highest order, but it was sort of entertaining...well, that's the best I can say, recommended only if you have absolutely nothing else to do!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

prosa

Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:13 am

Most recent ones seen: "Holes" (in theater), "Far from Heaven" and "Blue Crush," both on DVD. All three were pretty good.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

707CMF

Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:19 am

Mirrodie >

For once, we're better of in France than elsewhere, since X2 opens here on Wednesday (not at midnight, really on Wednesday)

Heck, I'm seeing it on thursday  Wink/being sarcastic

aa61hvy

Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:21 am

I saw House of a 1000 Corpses. It was a great movie.
Go big or go home

mls515

Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:31 am

'Malibu's Most Wanted' (Saturday in Bloomington, MN) It SUCKED. Anthony Anderson did not save this movie. Don't even watch it if you flip past it on one of your HBO's.

'Anger Management' (Yesterday in Kansas City, MO) It was OK, but not as good as Happy, Billy, Waterboy, even Big Daddy, etc. See it on video.

'The Hunted' (A few weeks ago in Elkhart, IN) It was OK too, but not that great of a story. See it on video.

I can't remember what movie I saw in a theater (cinema) before these.

pacificjourney

Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:31 am

I have heard of none of these. I officially live in a hole in the ground.

N79969

Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:38 am

"The Core" was a horrible movie.

CPH-R

Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:56 am

.. I'm kinda into LoTR: The Two Towers at the moment. Especially since I have the rip from the DVD that were sent out to members of the Academy. Of course, I'll be waiting with my credit card in hand to get the DVD once they bothers to release it in August.

heavymetal

Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:07 am

"Chicago" - I went to see this for one reason....the last out of nowhere Oscar contender I can remember was LA Confidential, which I didn't bother to see in the theaters, but fell in love with once I saw it on video. Not wanting to repeat the mistake, I forked out the $7.75 for this Oscar winning musical.

And that's all it was. A Broadway musical on film. While I know great acting enough to recognize the sizzling performances from Zellwegger, Zeta-Jones, Gere et all, I would have much preferred to see this on stage rather than on film. (And I'm not a huge fan of this particular music to begin with). As a musical, it was swell. As a movie? Eh.

"The Core" was just fun, nothing more. Another one of those concepts that could be great, if they'd obsess less about what cool special effects they could plug in.

"LOTR The Two Towers" was great (I'm very biased), BUT...I liked Fellowship better. Jackson is starting to take some generous creative license from Tolkien's masterpiece, and I don't think it neccessarily lends more to the story (In the Movie, Treebeard comes across as borderline psychotic. And Faramir is a dick. Then again, I hated his Galadriel too......she talks like she's been smoking some of that famous Lorien ganja.) Still, I can't wait till Return of the King.

mirrodie

Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:05 am

Chicago was absolutely sensational! in fact, you cannot compare it to the Broadway show at all!

Both the show the movie were excellent and stand well on their own feet.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

seb146

Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:09 am

I have seen Anger Management and Spirited Away. Tonight I am going to see a screening of Down With Love starring Ewan McGregor and Renee Zelweger. I can not wait for Charlies Angles 2 starring MY GIRL: Drew Barrymore!!! *YAY*
I thought Anger Management was funny and I really liked the story in Spirited Away. Especially the dragon.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

DeltaRules

Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:42 am

A couple of my friends & I were going to go see "Anger Management" or "Holes" last weekend, but didn't get to. I think the movie will be as good as the book, in terms of "Holes".

Most recent movies I've seen-
-Saw "Daredevil" a few weeks ago.....it was OK, could have been better.
-"Darkness Falls" before that, which was an OK movie...got better toward the end. I got bored after a while, to be honest.
-"The Ring". This movie is amazing! The story pieces itself together as it goes along, the actors do a good job & it was really entertaining. I really liked it & would recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.
-I saw a movie in November or December with Katie Holmes, supposed to be a suspense movie. Don't know the title, but it wasn't very good.
-"Die Another Day". Horrible theme song, crappy movie. Absolute waste of time....only James Bond movie I can say that about. As I like to say, "it would have made Ian Fleming turn over in his grave"

Does "Anger Management" follow the "typical Adam Sandler storyline"? I like Adam Sandler, he's a funny guy, but it seems like all his movies go:

"Sandler's hard-luck-duck character is introduced, has life-changing event, meets girl, likes girl, somebody's out to screw him, girl leaves him, life-changing event goes bad due to badguy screwing Sandler over, girl makes startling discovery, life-changing event gets better, relationship turns better, happily ever after, the end"? It was pretty much this way in "Happy Gilmore" (awesome movie), "Mr. Deeds", and "Big Daddy" (good movie).

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

mirrodie

Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:24 am

The Ring pieces itself together????? How? PLeaseexplain how that movie made ANY sense whatsoever Deltarules. I have been trying but I came to the conclusion that it sucked. Seriously, can you explain that flick to me b/c I was so lost.

Has anyone seen "bend it like Beckham?"

redngold

Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:02 am

"Anger Management"

"The Core" x 2

I hope to see "Chicago" by the end of next week. (and I'm not talking about O'Hare or Midway)

redngold
Up, up and away!

USAFHummer

Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:39 am

I saw Anger Management a few weeks ago....all I can say is that I want my $8.50 back...it was terrible and very overrated...DeltaRules..its a bit different from the normal Sandler movie IMO...but not by much...

Id like to see Bend it like Beckham...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:46 am

Last 2 I've seen:

"View from the Top", I liked it lots....only drawback was the excessive mushiness toward the end.

"Just Married"

Kappa13

Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:15 am

Just bought some DVD's from Best Buy. So I've just seen the Matrix for the first time. Well I saw it once before but I fell asleep before it was more then 15mins in to it. This time I choose to watch in the morning. Smart idea because I watched the whole thing and I think it was a great movie. I really liked it. Besides from that I've watched Goodfellas and Remember the Titans. Both great movies.

Todd

Soku39

Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:46 am

I just saw Bend it like Beckham. It was a nice little film. The soundtrack was awesome. I'd reccomend it to anyone. Ah the joy of comedy made by British people that an American can understand.  Smile
The Ohio Player

avt007

Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:35 pm

Saw "Identity" yesterday- really good, Hitchkok type suspense whodunnit.
Very good, I'd recommend it for sure.

Dash8King

Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:13 pm

I saw anger management, thought it was great.

Sandler's hard-luck-duck character is introduced, has life-changing event, meets girl, likes girl, somebody's out to screw him, girl leaves him, life-changing event goes bad due to badguy screwing Sandler over, girl makes startling discovery, life-changing event gets better, relationship turns better, happily ever after, the end"? It was pretty much this way in "Happy Gilmore" (awesome movie), "Mr. Deeds", and "Big Daddy" (good movie).

Yep but it has a twist at the end.

IMissPiedmont

Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:20 pm

I went to see "Confidence" yesterday. Rather good in my opinion.

Since I chose it over "Identity" and that movie has now been rated well, perhaps it will still be showing this weekend.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

KAL_LM

Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:37 pm

Saw "The Hunted" about 3 weeks ago, wanted my money back. "A Man Apart" was OK, but I'm glad we saw the matinee.

If you have a chance, go see "Identity"! It was amazing and very well done. It has some very devious twists and turns and the climax will shock the hell out of you. I had some glimmerings about half-way through, but the director really keeps you guessing about what is really going on. Oh yeah, great cast too, John Cusack, Ray Liotta, Amamnda Peet, Rebecca DeMornay and a couple of others. It's just well done.

Oh yeah, waiting for "The Matrix: Reloaded", my early B-Day present...less than a month to go!

regards,
Tom
is that a light at the end of the tunnel or just a train?

tbar220

Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:14 pm

Been rentin a lot of movies lately, here they are:

"A Beautiful Mind" - Wonderful movie!!
"Kings of Comedy" - Good stand up
"Mystery Men" - This was hilarious!! Oh man, great stuff
"Kentucky Fried Movie" - One of the most bizarre comedies I have seen, but thoroughly enjoyed it.  Laugh out loud
NO URLS in signature

seb146

Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:34 pm

Just got back from Down With Love. It left me confused. It was funny in parts but it was confusing too. If you are into the whole '60s swinger flicks, this one is for you. Maybe you can explain it to me......

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal