clipperhawaii

What Country Is Absinthe Available In?

Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:14 am

That wonderful elixir made from alcohol, 15 herbs and woormwood.(the active ingridient)

Where can you get it? Canada, I am told. Any other countries?

Drink up!

Oh! And have you tried it? Results please?

[Edited 2003-04-29 22:16:09]
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

Sabena332

RE: What Country Is Absinthe Available In?

Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:46 am

A buddy bought a bottle in the Czech Republic, this stuff is really hard with over 50% alcohol but he told me that there was also a light version available with 20% alcohol.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

thai747

Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:54 am

You can get Absinthe in most bars here in the UK, about the same price as a shot of Sambuca. Never heard of the drink before I came to the UK, and my friends insisted that I try it once - ended up drinking about a gallon of alcopops afterwards to wash away the taste. Embarrassment

racko

Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:00 am

You can buy Absinthe in Germany, I've seen Absinth with over 60% here.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:08 am

My only experience with it was in Prague. It went something like this: I had just arrived in Prague earlier that day on the night train from Frankfurt after arriving earlier THAT day on a flight from the States. So it goes without saying I was a bit beyond tired. So the obvious thing to do at that point was to find a good bar, which I did.

After having several other drinks (whiskey I would imagine) I decided to order myself an Absinthe as I had heard all of the fuss. Well there is this odd method to drinking the stuff; it's not as if you just down it. Of course I didn't know this at the time so I did just that---downed it. Now some folks about my age (about 20 or so at the time as I recall) witness this and take it upon themselves to show me the proper way to drink Absinthe-which apparently involves heating up sugar in a spoon or something and then quickly stirring the Absinthe with the heated sugar/spoon (something like that---as you may imagine all of this is a bit foggy). So they buy me another Absinthe to illustrate this. I then deemed it necessary to purchase yet another Absinthe to ensure I indeed had the correct methodology down. 3 Absinthe shots are way too many. Prague is a strange enough town on its own. Prague on Absinthe is quiet another thing. I recalled what my "Let's Go Europe" guidebook (my Bible when I'm traveling) said: something to the effect of "The best way to experience Prague is in an alcohol-induced fog". Well, I couldn't agree more. Haven't had that stuff since that night but if I come across it again I'd gladly have another.

gkirk

Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:21 am

I drink the 85% Absinthe all the time here in the UK...usually end up on the floor after 3 or 4 drinks of it though, as I only drink it after 8 or 9 pints.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

lubcha132

Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:58 am

i've heard its somewhat restricted because the wormwood does some crazy things...the green fairy its called.

teva

Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:53 pm

I had one last year in Moscow, in a restaurant on the Red Square.
It is legal in France again. However, it is not the same Gauguin, Van Gogh or Baudelaire were drinking. (I think it is "only" 60 to 65% alcohol, and the percentage of Absinthe is limited too)
BTW, the taste in Moscow was great !!!
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

EGGD

Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:41 pm

Bought some in Spain, didn't get to drink it because I got sent home with food poisoning..

80% proof, not bad.. Apparently some other people had fun with it, lol  Laugh out loud

airsicknessbag

Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:54 pm

Oy, Absinth - what a cruel and unusual punishment...

The bad thing is not the alcohol but the thujon which is toxic. It´s a hallucinogen which may cause epilectic cramps.
Absinth may contain only 10 milligramme per kilogramme of it, though.

I tried absinth once. It was the only alcohol I drank that evening. I usually don´t get a hangover, even after heavy drinking.
But after this one absinth, I was so wasted the next morning, it was terrible, the worst hangover I ever had. The structure and effects of thujon are similar to THC´s - so I now know what pot feels like - and I have to say I hate it.

Bottom line: give me a nice vodka anytime (or two, or three, or...), but absinth, never again.

Daniel Smile

fritzi

Thu May 01, 2003 12:05 am

Well, I have a bottle of 55% Absinth in my room right now that I´m bringing out to a party tonight.

Absinth is leagal in austria since 1/1-02, but not many bars have it though. Sambuca is also pretty tough to get a hold of. The Absinth in bars have around 60% alcohol, but the bottle I got from the Czech Rep. a few months ago had 72.5%. THAT WAS F*CKING STRONG.  Wow!

cfalk

Thu May 01, 2003 12:17 am

Absinthe is banned in most countries due to the damage it does to the nervous system. The pure stuff is around 80% alcohol, and the one time I tasted it I thought it was pretty vile stuff.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

clipperhawaii

Thu May 01, 2003 3:32 am

So, there are different varietiers of absinthe? Or at least different levels of alcohol. Sambuca is hard to get a hold of in Austria. That seems odd. I wonder why?

Thanks for your input and stories.

I think I am going to Prague!

"You Can't Beat The Experience"

mls515

Thu May 01, 2003 5:34 am

I brought some back from the U.K., even declaring it on my customs form: "2 liters - Absinthe". Woops! Oh well. I only tried a sample of it and it was pretty harsh. I don't know what the quality was, it was whatever Tesco's had. Supposedly it was bottled in the Czech Republic.

EGGD

Thu May 01, 2003 6:41 am

Sambruca tastes like Aniseed, blegh :/

bobrayner

Thu May 01, 2003 12:18 pm

Absinthe got a bad reputation largely because of the wormwood.

The kind of absinthe that drove artists mad a century ago was loaded with hallucinogens. Nowadays the authorities take a dim view of drinks that are actually toxic in large quantities, so the amount of "active ingredient" (thujon?) is limited.

In other words, modern absinthe is really just another spirit, but with slightly odd additives. Yes, you can get it with interesting percentages of alcohol; but if that's what you want then vodka is always an option.

For the adventurous hardened drinker, I can recommend a very common chinese "white spirit" called baijiu. A convenient 5l plastic keg of erguotou (double-distilled) should only cost a few yen, which is just as well because liver transplants are quite expensive.
Cunning linguist

bobrayner

Thu May 01, 2003 12:23 pm

Oops, missed the point.
Absinthe should be available in most countries by now, surely? Are there any nanny-states left?

Some retailers might try to pretend that it's exotic stuff, and make you feel like a bootlegger when you cross a border with it, but it's only marginally more interesting to drink than, say, tequila.
Cunning linguist

airsicknessbag

Fri May 02, 2003 9:44 pm

Btw, you´re supposed to drink absinth in a mixture with water, 50-50. So the actual alcohol content will be less than any spirit which you drink unmixed, be it vodka, whisky or whatever.

Daniel Smile

srbmod

Sat May 03, 2003 9:31 am

It's still banned here in the States, but a company here produces a wormwood-free version called Absente:

I have heard rumors of Absinthe being made locally down in New Orleans, illegally over course, but not surprising at all, with there being numerous recipes for the Green Fairy running about. The closest I've have to Absinthe is Pernod, which I found to be not too bad.