Aviationman
Topic Author

Canada Loves Toronto?

Sun May 04, 2003 2:58 am

Who had a look at this new website "www.canadalovestoronto.ca" ? What is this? As we would say in French: A pure case of "nombrillisme". A "Me, Mysfelf and I" website.

TO, give the rest of Canada a break!

Aviationman

Jayce

RE: Canada Loves Toronto?

Sun May 04, 2003 3:31 am

Canada Loves Toronto? We do? Now, I'm usually all over making fun of Toronto, but I think we should all give the city a break after the SARS thing. I mean, the media over blew it and made it look like you would get SARS from even saying Toronto.

Besides, its still the center of the universe  Wink/being sarcastic
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

JBLUA320

Sun May 04, 2003 3:33 am

Im proud to say I am taking advantage of Jetsgo's free seats to Toronto deal from Newark.

Viva Toronto!

-JBLU

Aviationman
Topic Author

Sun May 04, 2003 3:48 am

Why give this city a break? Would they ?

yyz717

Sun May 04, 2003 4:11 am

Why give this city a break? Would they ?

Oh for heaven's safe Aviationman. Aren't we all Canadians?

[Edited 2003-05-03 21:12:38]
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Cpt Underpants

Sun May 04, 2003 7:12 am

I'm quite sure if it were Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal or any other Canadian city suffering from the ridiculously overblown media coverage of SARS, not to mention the politically motivated announcement by the WHO, many Torontonians would be jumping up to help out their fellow Canadians. Like it or not, when Toronto's economy takes a major hit, so goes the rest of Canada eventually.

I for one am looking forward to a weekend in Hogtown with the wife and kids. Lion King tickets (great seats!), dinner out at the CN tower, 2 rooms at the Royal York and a Jays game for less than the regular cost of the hotel stay alone! Can't beat it!

747-451

Sun May 04, 2003 7:21 am

I love Toronto and feel they got a bad break over the press hype about SARS. Now would all of this happen if let's say SARS was in Quebec?

(PS in Memramcook, NB this weekend)

captaingomes

Sun May 04, 2003 8:57 am

Aviationman, a few comments:

1. This thread belongs in the non-aviation forum
2. Have you been to Toronto? If so, what did you do, and what did you see? Did you come with an open mind? The reason I ask is because while I agree Toronto in general sometimes comes out with an attitude of superiority, it does not mean that it is all like that. I consider it much like how the United States is under appreciated by many folks worldwide. Why? Because they are the most powerful country in the world. Toronto being the most significant city in Canada will obviously get a lot of hatred. What I find is that this comes from people who have never been to Toronto, or who come with a closed mind. This goes both ways too because I know a lot of Torontonians who hate other areas of Canada, yet they have never been to these areas.
3. The "Canada loves Toronto" tagline came from Air Canada in their promotion after their ticket sales were hugely affected thanks to the overblown SARS media coverage. The fact that somebody came up with a website with this title shows pride. Why do you have to look at this in a negative way? Is the YUL aviation board also "nombrillisme"? Sounds to me like using your criteria it is.

We are in a country, and despite regional differences, we should all help eachother out. I'm not asking anything from you other than to view the website with an open mind.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

captaingomes

Sun May 04, 2003 9:09 am

By the way, the site is run by Air Canada, who is promoting Toronto as best they can. Interesting that a company based in Montreal is doing this. I have noticed a lot of bitching at a particular website catering to Montreal users about the site, and how self-centered it is. The regional attitudes disappoint me sometimes with Canada, and by that I mean attitudes towards Toronto, attitudes shown by Torontonians, as well as between other areas in Canada. But this one takes the cake.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

captaingomes

Sun May 04, 2003 12:04 pm

JBLUA320, I hope you enjoy Toronto, there are some incredible deals on entertainment while you're here. I also hope you enjoy flying Jetsgo!

captaingomes

Mon May 05, 2003 1:16 am

From what I understand, Jetsgo is filling up their free seats. I'm glad many people are taking advantage of this incredible deal!