mandala499

Where Is Waterkloof AFB?

Sun May 04, 2003 10:13 pm

Hi All,

This is a rather unusual request... I thought I'd ask here. I need to help someone pitch up some hotel rooms for an A310 crew near Waterkloof AFB in South Africa... the question is... Where is Waterkloof ? (apart from somewhere around Port Elizabeth... but still unsure)...

Can anyone gimme a suggestion ? I can't use my GeoInfoSys tools until tuesday at the earliest to locate the place... any help will be appreciated...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

RE: Where Is Waterkloof AFB?

Sun May 04, 2003 10:39 pm

Isn't Waterkloof the SAAF base in/near Pretoria?

Checked....yep it is:

http://www.mil.za/CSANDF/CAirForce/afbwklf/main.htm

AFB Waterkloof is composed of five flying squadrons namely 21, 28, 41, 44, 60 one Task Force Squadron, one Security Squadron, a Photo Technical Unit, 5 AD, JARIC and SAAFTC. It is situated on the southern side of Pretoria next to the Highway to Johannesburg International.

Sun May 04, 2003 11:15 pm

Just some further info...if you are looking for a hotel close to the base, be sure to check for accom. in and around Centurion (southern "suburb" of Pretoria). It seems that is where it is near.

But I am sure one of the South African guys can confirm all of this.

FACT

Mon May 05, 2003 3:12 am

AFB Waterkloof is just southeast of Pretoria, adjacent to the suburbs of Waterkloof & Lyttleton. The just-decommisioned AFB Swartkop is just to the west of it, the two being separated by the Jo'burg-Pretoria highway. Centurion is pretty close by, being south of Swartkop. From memory, I would say that access is probably easier from eastern Pretoria, places like Lynnwood, etc.

Here's a list of Pretoria & Centurion hotels ... take your pick:
http://www.pretoria.co.za/Tourism/hotels.asp

there are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't

Mon May 05, 2003 4:50 am

Now that this has been confirmed by myself and FACT, Mandala, you do realise there is a commission for this information. Basically I want 33% of the commission, and I think that FACT might like the same rate (will have to ask him though).

Bank details on your email now  Laugh out loud

mandala499

Thu May 08, 2003 4:37 am

Aviatsiya...

Sorry mate, I get no money out of this ! Just helping out a friend :p
Besides, I think the contract got dropped by the UN... My friend is not a happy gal...

Thanks to U and FACT... but sad to say the outcome...  Sad

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !