propilot83

42nd Anniversary Of First American In Space

Tue May 06, 2003 4:52 am

Today NASA (the worlds largest space agency) celebrates the 42nd annviersary of the first american that first flew into space 42 years ago this day on May 5, 1961. That first american that flew into space this day 42 years ago was Astronaut Alan B. Shepard.

BR715-A1-30

RE: 42nd Anniversary Of First American In Space

Tue May 06, 2003 11:39 am

No, It was Astronaut Alan Bartlett Shepard JR.

Alan B. Shepard never flew into space.  Big grin
Puhdiddle

MxCtrlr

Tue May 06, 2003 11:49 am

The sad part of this is, 42 years and numerous technological leaps and bounds later, and we are still just circling the Earth with no manned planetary programs even being considered! Very sad, indeed!  Crying

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

POSITIVE RATE

Tue May 06, 2003 1:58 pm

MxCtlr Amen to that. We should have been on Mars years ago, possibly decades ago. We certainly have had the technology to do it for a very long time, it's only the will that's lacking. At least the ISS is one step in the right direction. When it's complete in 2004 it could become a launching post to the moon/Mars. NASA really has excelled in the field of robotic exploration via space probes. Voyager 1 and 2, Pioneer 10 and 11, Galilaeo to Jupiter, Viking and Pathfinder to Mars, Cassini on its way to Saturn as we speak. Space probes have taught us a great deal but it's time to take the next step- a manned mission to Mars.

Arrow

Tue May 06, 2003 2:11 pm

We should have been on Mars years ago, possibly decades ago. We certainly have had the technology to do it for a very long time, it's only the will that's lacking.

And the money. With Bush running the deficit into the stratosphere again to pay for his silly war, don't look for the cash any time soon. Too bad.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

tbar220

Tue May 06, 2003 2:33 pm

I am hoping that in my lifetime, technology will have improved enough to allow the average human to travel to space. I would die a happy man if I had traveled in outer space.
NO URLS in signature

POSITIVE RATE

Tue May 06, 2003 6:10 pm

Passenger space flights will be a reality within the next 5 years. You can already buy a ticket for $100,000 for a sub-orbital flight up to 80 miles altitude. It's on the space tourism website. If you have the $$$$ then by all means you can be an astronaut.

vc10

Tue May 06, 2003 6:50 pm

I always thought that nobody bothered to remember those who came second

GDB

Tue May 06, 2003 8:03 pm

I agree with Mx and Positive, as for being 2nd, that was to the good, Shepard was pissed that he'd been prevented from launching before Gagarin, but if he had, even allowing for his flight being a 15 min sub-orbital hop, a poor relation to Vostok's orbit, would JFK have been stung into approving the Apollo Programme? I think not.
Then Shepard would have been 1st, but would not have made it to the Moon on Apollo 14.