Alpha 1
Topic Author

CNN: Bush, Blair Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize

Fri May 09, 2003 9:16 am

Was flipping through and saw the end of a debate between two columnists on CNN. Below them the headline read that Bush and Blair are to be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Haven't read anything on their website yet.

Is this someone's idea of a sick joke? If true, this is an abomination.

Staffan

RE: CNN: Bush, Blair Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize

Fri May 09, 2003 9:18 am

If Bush says he wants peace, it must be true!?!?!

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2003 9:19 am

If Bush says he wants peace, it must be true!?!?!

Yes, I think the Iraqi Info Minister has confirmed this.  Smile

david b.

Fri May 09, 2003 9:20 am

Peace prize for two warmongers? Why not give the president of north Korea a prize too???
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

aloges

Fri May 09, 2003 9:22 am

To make peace, you have to start a war first...  Innocent
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

david b.

Fri May 09, 2003 9:25 am

But to start war is not being peaceful................... Smile/happy/getting dizzy Catch 22 Nuts

vafi88

Fri May 09, 2003 9:26 am

Hey! Let's start a war, kill thousands of people, lose a hundred or so, and then be awarded prizes.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

KAUSpilot

Fri May 09, 2003 9:26 am

Bush and Blair were nominated by a Norwegian legislator.

"The background for my nomination is their decisive action against terrorism, something I believe in the future will be the greatest threat to peace," Nesvik said. "Unfortunately, sometimes ... you have to use force to secure peace."

If Carter, Arafat, and Kissinger can win it I don't see why they can't. The whole thing is a joke anyway.

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2003 9:35 am

Carter has worked his who life, post-1600 Pennsylvania for peace, KAUSPilot, so I think he deserved it. Kissinger and Arafat were jokes. But for ANYONE to nominate two men who launched a war against a rather helpless nations should be the LAST two to be nominated.

charleslp

Fri May 09, 2003 9:44 am

Dear Mr. Bush,

I know, that's a dumb joke.

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2003 9:45 am

Actually, maybe Ed McMahon should give it to him, onboard the Nimitz or something like that.

Fri May 09, 2003 9:48 am

enough said....

DeltaASA16

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2003 9:52 am

Try again Delta  Laugh out loud

IHadAPheo

RE: CNN: Bush, Blair Nominated For Nobel Peace Pri

Fri May 09, 2003 9:57 am

UPDATE !!!! in a minor upset the Nobel Peace prize goes to a man well known for his many wonderful works.... Edi Amin.

Yours,
IHadAPheo+anMI AKA "Gobi"
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

b757300

Fri May 09, 2003 9:57 am

They'll never get it. The fools who run the Nodel committee made it quite that they hate Bush. That was the whole reason for giving it to Carter and they publicly admitted it. Instead of giving it to people who deserve it, the idiots are more than happy to award it to terrorists, dictators, and their leftist buddies. Alfred Nobel would be turning in his grave knowing the prizes he created are being used as tools in a petty political game.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2003 10:02 am

Instead of giving it to people who deserve it,

Tell me, Mr. GOP, why does Bush deserve it? What has he done that is so peaceful, or that has promoted peace? Killed a few thousand Iraqi's, and about 200 allied troops? Threatened Iran? Threatened Syria? Threatened allies who don't agree with him.

Bush is not a man of peace. He never will be. He wants to be remembered for all ages as a great warrior. He may be remembered as a warrior. I doubt, when the last word is said about him, he'll be remembered as great.

L-188

Fri May 09, 2003 12:41 pm

The Peace Prize needs to be eliminated.

It is too politicized for the ideas behind the creation of it by Alfred Nobel.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

vafi88

Fri May 09, 2003 12:48 pm

Alpha 1 is completely right, the peace prize should be given to somebody that goes out of their way to force peace. Starting a war, doesn't help, occupying nations who hate us just because we control everything and tell EVERY country what to do (think bush telling saddam he has 48 hours to get out of his own country, or telling Russia that the islands that have belonged to them, but still lie off of the north of Japan should be given to Japan). A person who pushes international relations should be given the prize, not the person who ruined them.

Clinton spent 25% of his presidency out in another country having peace, economy, and allied talks between many many nations, and improves the Israeli/palestinian situation, and here comes Dubya who sat at his ranch 41% of his first year in presidency.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

MxCtrlr

Fri May 09, 2003 12:51 pm

Someone who truly deserves to win an award...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/front/5801712.htm

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

L-188

Fri May 09, 2003 12:57 pm

And Clinton spent the other 75% lobing Tomahawks at Sudan, Iraq, Croatia, Serbia, Afghanistan every time he got caught with his fly open.

That and leaving out guys out to dry in Somalia and damm near doing the same thing in Bosnia.

Great advocate for peace there  Insane

david b.

Fri May 09, 2003 1:00 pm

At least clinton did not start a illigal war. Warmonger

MxCtrlr

Fri May 09, 2003 1:03 pm

< whispering > psst, L-188 ... we're not supposed to say anything bad about His Holiness Bill ... Don't you remember, he never did anything wrong and always was only looking out for us poor citizens ... You post confuses the issue with FACTS!  Yeah sure

For the record, I don't think Bush deserves the Peace Prize, nor does Blair or any of the rest of the world politic!

[Edited 2003-05-09 06:04:05]
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

JetService

Fri May 09, 2003 1:04 pm

The argument is that sometimes you have to use force to secure peace. I don't disagree with that, and I doubt many of you are too simplistic to understand that. Surely you do, and if you do, then you should argue that the force used in question did nothing to end a threat to peace. Also, the gravy was 23 million people getting a new start and a chance for lives out from under the thumb of a tyrant. Certainly you would agree that that alone would warrant a Nobel, I do. Now if you do, then you need to argue that the Iraqi civilians were not under the thumb of a tyrant. Will their lives be better? Probably after some hard work but maybe not. At least they have a chance. So go ahead and poo-poo away, but I think this isn't as insane as you are all making out out to be. At least you haven't made a case against; just reactionary small talk driven by your bias. So which is it? Is waging war to end a threat for peace never Novel worthy? If it is IYHO, then did this war not achieve that? Does freeing millions from a tyrant not warrant a Nobel? If so, did this war not achieve that. I know most of you are smart enough to make a case, so let's hear that instead of cheap talk.

P.S. The nomination sounds like it came under doing battle against terrorism in general, so I suspect Afghanistan and those civvies are part of the equation.
"Shaddap you!"

airworthy

Fri May 09, 2003 1:08 pm

>>At least clinton did not start a illigal war.<<

Remember the Balkans? Remember women and children dead after a medicine plant was attacked in the Sudan in 1997?

Remember General Wesley Clark wanting to attack a Russian airport?

Check out this editorial from one of your own:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?messageDate=1999-04-15

L-188

Fri May 09, 2003 1:11 pm

Well, Blair might, correct me if I am wrong but he is actively working on the whole, N.I. thing. But time will tell if that pans out.

A Nobel prize of G.W........Well I guess that is more of a second term issue. You never know though if the Iraq reconstruction turns out well or if that roadmap is accepted by the Palestinians and Israelis. Then he may end up still deserving of one.

MxCtrlr

Fri May 09, 2003 1:38 pm

Airworthy,

All that epistle (from the Gospel according to Michael Moore) shows is that he doesn't like anybody or anything other than hearing himself talk and looking at himself in the mirror! According to Michael Moore, Bush is wrong because of any number of reasons and Clinton was wrong for any number of reasons. It begs the question, is there any politician (outside of his own ramblings) that Michael Moore truly likes? An interesting article to be sure but it merely shows how two-faced this idiot is! I do agree with you though, in that it does shoot a hole in the "Bill Clinton never started an illegal war" crap. Every time he was about to be hauled before Congress for Impeachment hearings, he went and lobbed some bombs at some country few had heard of beforehand...

airworthy

Fri May 09, 2003 1:49 pm

I totally agree MxCtrlr. Michael Moore is just like all of the other people who are paid to hold certain views. He has to keep up all of his criticisms so he doesn't have to find another job. It's like bin Laden saying "you know Coca-Cola isn't bad, everyone should try it".

MxCtrlr

Fri May 09, 2003 1:57 pm

I guess every country has to have it's "Iraqi Minister of Information" and Michael Moore elected himself to the position!

bobrayner

Fri May 09, 2003 6:40 pm

Didn't Kissinger got a Nobel Peace Prize? In which case they're clearly using a different definition of "peace" to the rest of us. A definition that would fit Bush perfectly.
Cunning linguist

CPH-R

Fri May 09, 2003 7:31 pm

I think that Blair would fit it nice, given that he tried to get Dubya & his Chickenhawks to cooperate with the U.N. He has also worked for an increased amount of work in Iraq to be given to the U.N. instead of preselected US companies.

Given the ties between the US & UK, Blair could not have gone against Bush. It would have had too big an impact on his country.

..but then again, I know nothing about the US or UK, their history, their culture, their heads of states etc., right PPMGD?  Laugh out loud

PPGMD

Sat May 10, 2003 12:08 am

CPH-R,

Well I wasn't going to get involved in this thread because the I feel the peace prize is worthless (except the money that they give the winner). But since you dragged me in CPH-R, you have made numerous ignorant comments about Bush that can only simply be put up to the fact that you aren't an American. Frankly when you were offended that he flashed "the peace sign" it showed most openly.
At worst, you screw up and die.

cba

Sat May 10, 2003 5:59 am

"Remember the Balkans? Remember women and children dead after a medicine plant was attacked in the Sudan in 1997?

Remember the thousands of innocent Afghan and Iraqi citizens that died under Bush's invasions? 2 years later, Afghanistan is still not stable, we still haven't found Al-Qaeda. Apparently Saddam is still around too.

goingboeing

Sat May 10, 2003 6:22 am

Didn't Kissinger got a Nobel Peace Prize? In which case they're clearly using a different definition of "peace" to the rest of us. A definition that would fit Bush perfectly.

Kissenger got an award for trying to end the "police action" that had been going on since 1959. He didn't get it for bombing Cambodia.

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2003 6:34 am

Apparently Saddam is still around too.

The good news there, cba, is that Saddam's days of murder and torture are over with. Out of this mess, maybe Iraq can be made into a decent country. If that succeeds, then MAYBE we could even hint at Bush getting nominated for such a prize.

But right after he ordered an invasion? Pathetic.

FDXmech

Sat May 10, 2003 6:39 am

>>>Remember the thousands of innocent Afghan and Iraqi citizens that died under Bush's invasions? 2 years later, Afghanistan is still not stable, we still haven't found Al-Qaeda.<<<

Al-Qaeda isn't an individual person. But if you've been keeping abreast of current events, you'd be aware that much of the Al-Qaeda's hierarchy has been captured.
You're only as good as your last departure.

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2003 6:41 am

But if you've been keeping abreast of current events, you'd be aware that much of the Al-Qaeda's hierarchy has been captured.

That part of what the Bush Administration is doing, delights me. He's doing it in concert with our friends and allies; he's doing it because that group DID carry out the 9/11 massacre, and he's doing it as a legitimate protection of American national security.

It's with Iraq, and how he handled it from the time 1441 was approved onward where he lost a lot of my respect.

WiLdmanVzla

Sat May 10, 2003 7:02 am

That must be a terrible joke!!!!!!!!!!

If Bush & Blair are both nominate for that Nobel price... why shoudn´t we nominate Osama Bin Laden?, he deseves the price as the same as George W. Bush for sure!!!!!!!!!!

JetService

Sat May 10, 2003 7:20 am

So nominate him, Wildman.
"Shaddap you!"

WiLdmanVzla

Sat May 10, 2003 7:24 am

JetService:

If I could nominate someone for the Nobel Peace Price, be sure I´ll look for someone fighting for the right of freedom of speak & thinking in Cuba or China

Regards

cba

Sat May 10, 2003 2:24 pm

"But if you've been keeping abreast of current events, you'd be aware that much of the Al-Qaeda's hierarchy has been captured"

If much of Al-Qaeda's heirarchy has been captured, then why do we still get the ever so frequent terror alerts and such. You can't have it both ways Bush...

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2003 10:01 pm

Cba, don't play dumb, ok? You know perfectly well that there are still thousands of terrorists out there, and that they don't necessarily need OBL telling them what to do, or planning things for them. The capture of OBL, while it would be great, would not signify the end of terrorism. Only a fool would believe that.

Terrorism will always be around in some form, but on the score of keeping Al Qaeda on the run, I'm all for it. I don't agree with this color-coated system, to tell you the truth-it's a psychological ploy to keep people tense, in my view, but there's always going to be times that terrorism may be more likely than others.

CPH-R

Sat May 10, 2003 10:32 pm

PP-whatever  Laugh out loud

.. let's just agree to disagree.

KLAX

Sat May 10, 2003 11:05 pm

If they can give it to Arafat they can give it to anybody...

-Clovis

CPH-R

Sat May 10, 2003 11:11 pm

The problem with Arafat getting it, IMO, is that the groups who does the palestinian attacks, call them what you want, simply weren't going to comply with the Oslo Agreement. The same thing is going to happen with the "Roadmap" - they've already said so. A new Palestine is not going to change that, neither can Arafat, neither can the US, neither can Israel (though they're trying hard).

It's going to take a great effort and a lot of time to root out the these groups.

airplay

Sun May 11, 2003 1:58 am

I think Bush and Blair are excellent candidates for a prize that is awarded to persons whose actions have had a profound affect on peace. These two totally obliterated it by staging an un-needed war, and launching the destabilization of a region that really didn't need additional agitation.

Their legacy may continue to disrupt peace for generations to come.

KLAX

Sun May 11, 2003 2:02 am

They did free an entire populace from a grotesque dictator. I'd take American occupation to Saddam's totalitarism...

-Clovis

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Sun May 11, 2003 2:21 am

KLAX, that may be, but it doesn't warrant Bush even being nominated for an honor usually reserved for someone who actually worked overtime for peace, not someone who pushed and pushed and pushed for war.

KLAX

Sun May 11, 2003 2:29 am

I agree. I'd say if anyone should be given the prize, it should be Saddam. He left Baghdad so fast it made the war end in a zip!  Laugh out loud

-Clovis

747-451

Sun May 11, 2003 7:34 am

Hope Bush/Blair decline. Who needs a prize who's legacy includes the giving of one to Arafat...

bobrayner

Mon May 12, 2003 11:26 am

I don't for a moment doubt that Bush's decision to invade Iraq ultimately led to Iraq's liberation from SH.

However, I don't think he deserves any awards for insisting on invasion over any other option. Lots of prominent statespeople have done brave & bold things pushing for peace lately (although you might not see much of it in the foreign news section), so I doubt that an ardent militarist is the best candidate. Incidentally, what's Bush's record on nuclear weapons treaties?

The justifications are a bit slender too. If it's related to 9/11, why not invade Saudi? If it's about fundamentalism, why not invade Algeria or Bangladesh? If it's about oppression, why not invade, ooh, 4 or 5 countries in Africa that were (and are) in a worse state? If it's about disobeying UN resolutions (or, indeed about WMD) then there are plenty of good targets, not least Israel or the USA itself. Or is there another justification this week?

Blair, I think, isn't quite such a bad candidate - he did actually try to resist war whilst looking for other ways to deal with the issue; but when Bush made war inevitable, he pragmatically (and, I think, wisely) decided that peace was no longer an option.  Wink/being sarcastic

Kissenger got an award for trying to end the "police action" that had been going on since 1959. He didn't get it for bombing Cambodia.
Skeptical as I am about the "police action" - let's not spawn too many threads - I think that his predilection for carpetbombing south-east asia (didn't Laos also get 300kg of HE for each hapless rice-farmer?), and arranging armed intervention in other countries, should really have disqualified him from receiving one of the world's most prominent peace awards.

Ditto for Arafat, of course.

In that sense, I consider the award completely discredited. But, hey, at least they could try... I dearly hope that Bush/Blair do not win the award. Whatever Bush's merits or achievements, he is in no way a peacemaker.
Cunning linguist