jhooper

WANTED: Texas Legislators!

Tue May 13, 2003 6:30 pm

'Amber Alert' issued -- for on-the-run Texas lawmakers
'It is a disgrace to run and hide'
Tuesday, May 13, 2003 Posted: 3:54 AM EDT (0754 GMT)

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) -- The political version of the Amber Alert was posted for 53 Texas legislators who fled the state Capitol to avoid a vote that could cost Democrats seven congressional seats.

Without the Democrats present, the Republican-controlled House does not have the two-thirds quorum needed for a vote on legislation to redraw congressional districts.

News reports late Monday quoted leaders of the missing Democrats as saying they are gathered across the state line in Ardmore, Oklahoma, out of reach of Texas Rangers who have been ordered to arrest them and return them to the House chamber.

A bulletin was posted Monday on the Texas Department of Public Safety Web site -- the same one used to alert citizens to missing children and wanted criminals -- asking for help in locating the missing lawmakers.

"The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) is asking the public for assistance in locating 53 Texas legislators who have disappeared," the bulletin read. "Anyone who has information regarding the current whereabouts of the legislators listed below is asked to call 1-800-525-5555."

"Under the Texas Constitution, the majority of members present in session in the House can vote to compel the presence of enough members to make a quorum," it read. "Members of the House did so this morning and directed the Sergeant-at-Arms of the House and the DPS to locate the absent members and bring them back to Austin."

The Web site then names the 53 missing Democrats.

A report in The Austin American-Statesman newspaper Tuesday morning said the group was gathered in the Holiday Inn near the Texas state line in Ardmore, Oklahoma, and that a news conference was planned for Tuesday.

Republicans took control of the Texas House in November for the first time since Reconstruction. With 88 Republican members in the 150-member body, they still need at least a dozen Democrats present for a quorum. Just three Democrats remained at the Capitol on Monday, the newspaper said.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

MxCtrlr

RE: WANTED: Texas Legislators!

Tue May 13, 2003 6:52 pm

There is one word to describe politicians like this - WEASELS! If I were a voter in a district where my elected representative left the state to avoid voting on legislation, I would be VERY PISSED!  Pissed

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

aloges

Tue May 13, 2003 8:16 pm

LOL! "Run awaaayyy!" Why the heck did they run for their seats if they don't want them? Redrawing districts may seem foul, yes, but to simply hide makes a complete crackhead out of every one who does it.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

HOMER71

Tue May 13, 2003 10:10 pm

I heard they even had the infamous "deck of cards" with their faces on it to help law enforcement identify.

Yeah, that's pretty classless...they should show some guts and go in there and fight the bill. Don't forget, other pieces of legislation (some penned by AWOL Dems) are in danger of being killed because of this stunt.

Ah...Texas politics, it doesn't get any better than this!
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Ilyushin96M

Tue May 13, 2003 11:04 pm

CNN says the legislators are at a hotel in Oklahoma, and the Texas rangers have no authority to bring them back to Texas.

As for the use of the Amber Alert system, something should be done about this. It's pretty pathetic a system used to locate missing children is being used to find a bunch of AWOL politicians.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Why can't politicians behave better than 3 year olds??? And to think, these sorts of people are running our state, local and federal governments.  Sad

727LOVER

Tue May 13, 2003 11:10 pm

It doesn't say the Amber Alert was actually being used!!! It was using the Amber Alert as a METAPHOR! READ THE DANG THING!!!!
Love Trumps Hate

727LOVER

Tue May 13, 2003 11:11 pm

OOOOPS!!! MY BAD!!!!! Big grin
Love Trumps Hate

sleekjet

Tue May 13, 2003 11:15 pm

Neither the Texas Democrats or their Washington counterparts have distinguished themselves lately. Were Republicans doing this, I would be severely irritated at them.
II Cor. 4:17-18

Ilyushin96M

Tue May 13, 2003 11:19 pm

Sleekjet, you should be irritated that any politician is doing this sort of thing, regardless of party affiliation. It's too bad "slimy" and "politician" can so often be used in the same sentence. I think the whole system needs some serious reform.

HOMER71

Tue May 13, 2003 11:43 pm

You're absolutely right, Ilyushin, what they're doing is pretty much typical of a "politician" - forget liberal, conservative, etc.

What they're doing is equivalent to folding your arms and pouting in the corner...maybe the "Amber" alert IS the right way to go!

b757300

Wed May 14, 2003 12:30 am

They're all being childish just because they can't have their way. "I'm taking my toys and leaving". Redistricting is the responsibility of each state’s legislature and almost always the party in power at that time will redraw the lines to help it gain seats. California has done it and created several new Democratic districts while the plan in Texas would create some new Republican ones. Instead of doing what they’ve been elected to do by the people, they’re following the leadership of the Rats in Congress and using obstructionism to try and get their way.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

727LOVER

Wed May 14, 2003 12:33 am

THEY'RE being childish??????? You do all the name calling on this forum and THEY'RE childish  Insane
Love Trumps Hate

cba

Wed May 14, 2003 12:30 pm

Redistricting is just another dirty trick being employed by the republicans. I'm not saying that running and hiding is a viable solution, but those filthy bastards led by Delay should not be allowed this redistricting nonsense.

jcs17

Wed May 14, 2003 12:49 pm

Redistricting is just another dirty trick being employed by the republicans. I'm not saying that running and hiding is a viable solution, but those filthy bastards led by Delay should not be allowed this redistricting nonsense.

Ohhh yeah, Democrats never participate in gerrymandering. Give me a fucking break bro, have you ever seen the districts in California or New York? If you knew absolutely anything about Texas, you would know how it is predominately Republican, and the only reason the state house has stayed so evenly balanced (and in Democratic hands) for the past 150 years is because of very liberal friendly districting. The only areas in Texas that tend to be liberal are the inner-cities, Austin, the border towns, and the Rio Grande Valley. Cba, dont make statements you cannot back up.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Alpha 1

Wed May 14, 2003 12:57 pm

They're all being childish just because they can't have their way. "I'm taking my toys and leaving".

You mean, like when Bush couldn't get his way in the U.N. on Iraq? That kind of childish, B757300?

Of course, you're so friggin' blind, you can't even see that.

jcs17

Wed May 14, 2003 12:59 pm

Alpha1, you are turning out to be exactly what you claimed were not...a far-left, antagonistic liberal....

Dude, what made you pull a We're Nuts, and become so bitter about the world?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Alpha 1

Wed May 14, 2003 1:09 pm

Jcs, someone isn't a far-left, antagonistic liberal simply for pointing out fact. And, again, you're so far to the right, you wouldn't know to begin with.

What made me bitter about Bush? He fucked away a world of goodwill in a span of 6 months, so he could avenge Daddy. He's made the U.S. look like a big bully in the eyes of 95% of the world. That's why I'm so against him right now.

You don't like it, too fucking bad, Jcs. I really don't give a shit what you think anyway.

cba

Thu May 15, 2003 1:00 pm

"Ohhh yeah, Democrats never participate in gerrymandering. Give me a fucking break bro, have you ever seen the districts in California or New York?"

I never said I supported Democrat redistricting. Redistricting in general is a dirty trick, and should not be used by either side.

HOMER71

Thu May 15, 2003 9:48 pm

Looks like the Dems will win this one...the redistricting bill will die tonight at midnight, as well as several other bills, including one to help with the record state budget shortfall.

Of course, the Dems are blaming the Republicans for the other bills being defeated, and vice versa, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Politics suck

Alpha 1

Thu May 15, 2003 9:51 pm

My wife said she was listening to a talk show yesterday-I think it was Sam Donaldson, and a report on there said one of the things that outraged Democrats is that the GOP leaders refused to even show the Dems the redrawn districts before a vote. Can anyone confirm that?

HOMER71

Thu May 15, 2003 11:25 pm

That's absurd, why would anyone force a person to vote on redistricting and not let them see how the boundaries will affect them? It's like refusing to show someone the full text of a bill and making them vote on it.

Anyways, I don't know what the newsperson is talking about, the newspaper here is showing a map of how the lines will be redrawn (a couple of months ago as well as today). I'll try to find an online link...

Alpha 1

Thu May 15, 2003 11:28 pm

That's absurd..

Maybe it is, but come to Ohio, where the Republican-controlled Legislature doesn't even let Democrats in on anything here. They've even gone so far at times to deny Democrats introducing legilsation.

When you're dealing with extremists-on either side of the spectrum, what can be absurd is common place with them.

HOMER71

Thu May 15, 2003 11:34 pm

Wow, so I guess John Glenn did not have any lasting clout over there? Big grin

Alpha 1

Thu May 15, 2003 11:44 pm

Homer71, he served in the United States Senate, he never served in the Ohio Legislature. That group is controlled now by a bunch of backward hicks who's idea of education is burning books instead of reading them.

b757300

Fri May 16, 2003 12:11 am

Just wait till the next election. This is going to come back and bit the Rats right on their butts. I predict a 100+ seat Republican majority in the House during the 2005 legislative session which will mean any Rat walkout will be pointless.

Oh, and before any liberal here says the Rats won't suffer for this, trust me they will. I know Texas politics a lot better than someone from the Left Coast or other parts of the country.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Alpha 1

Fri May 16, 2003 12:14 am

Why does it seem the air quality always decreases whenever B757300 posts one of his mindless pieces of predictable garbage?  Big grin

HOMER71

Fri May 16, 2003 2:50 am

My bad, I thought Glenn had a stint in the state legislature, as well.

Smile

Alpha 1

Fri May 16, 2003 8:59 pm

OK, for those who have been reaming the Democrats, here's what this whole stink is about: 2 years ago, with the census, the districts were redrawn. For states, districts are redrawn every 10 years, based on new census figures.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/05/16/texas.legislature.ap/index.htm It's in the article for all to see.

But, apparently, that wasn't good enough for the GOP in Texas. Only 2 years after the districts were redrawn, they wanted to redraw them again, going aginst the norm, and waiting until the new census. They didn't want them redrawn on the census data, but redrawn to fit their own political need, in total disregard for how it's normally done.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the GOP who were the bad guys here, not the Democrats. If the GOP wants to change the districts outside what is normal for a state-every 10 years based on the census-it is they who are playing politics. Typical of the arrogance the Republicans are showing more and more these days. They feel they can do whatever the hell they want.

If they can't wait till the next census, then I'd have done the same thing.

L-188

Fri May 16, 2003 9:05 pm

Either way.

Willie Nelson gave all those morons these neet red bandana's.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Alpha 1

Fri May 16, 2003 9:07 pm

I'm sure those GOP morons put the red bandan'as to good use, L-188.

L-188

Fri May 16, 2003 9:12 pm

Still as a taxpayer, I would be pissed if my legislator fled to Oklahoma and refused to represent me.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Alpha 1

Fri May 16, 2003 9:16 pm

Still as a taxpayer, I would be pissed if my legislator fled to Oklahoma and refused to represent me.

Come on, L-188, put the criticism where it rightly belongs. The GOP was in an obvious political power-play, and thought they could do what's never done-change the districts after only two years. That's arrogance of the hightest order on their part. And, if the only way they could stop such a brazen power grab was to walk away, then so be it.

IF I were the Dems, I'd be spending millions in Texas right now, advertising the fact that it was the GOP who precipitated this crisis by this act.

sccutler

Fri May 16, 2003 10:06 pm

Alpha, I fear you are deluding yourself in this instance.

All that is going on here is that, after several generations of being inthe majority, the democratic leadership could not bear to participating in a legislative process in which they do not control the agenda (i.e., make the choice sof what bills are allowed to reach the floor for debate and vote).

Redistricting was seized-upon as the scapegoat, but the untold story is that there are hundreds of bills which die along with the redistricting measure. By leaving the state rather than participating as they were elected to do, the so-called "Killer D's" have abdicated their responsibility as legislators, and placed their own political interests above the state's legislative needs, the stable legislative process and the rule of law.

I wish I had more time to describe for you some of the ongoing effects of this childish and short-sighted stunt, but I have work to do and (unlike the legislators) will not put it aside for my own entertainment.

Ciao.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

HOMER71

Fri May 16, 2003 10:25 pm

The Texas GOP have dubbed them the "Chicken D's" although "Killer D's" is also appropriate.

Alpha 1

Fri May 16, 2003 10:33 pm

Alpha, I fear you are deluding yourself in this instance.

Why? Because I point out a fact? That the GOP tried to do something that just doesn't happen-change the districts after only 2 years? Come on, wake up a bit. Districts in states are changed after the 10-year census, and they remain in effect for those 10 years. This was an arrogant play for power, simply because they had the votes in a full legislature to try to pull off such a stunt.

All that is going on here is that, after several generations of being inthe majority, the democratic leadership could not bear to participating in a legislative process in which they do not control the agenda..

Agian, you miss the point. The boundaries were reset according to law after the last census. They're supposed to remain intact for 10 years. If everytime the district boundaries in states were changed after a power shift, they'd happen more than every 10 years. This was a brazen attempt to circumvent tradition and the census count, pure and simple.

Redistricting was seized-upon as the scapegoat, but the untold story is that there are hundreds of bills which die along with the redistricting measure.

And guess what? Those bills will be resurrected and voted on, I'm quite sure. But again, if this was the only way to block such a power play, then more power to them.

I waited to come to a conclusion on this debate till I found out more about what was going on. But when the GOP tries to change a district after TWO YEARS-or only one election, that's the childish stunt, not the other way around. Sadly, it's come to typify the arrogance of the GOP in many quarters of the country.

HOMER71

Fri May 16, 2003 11:04 pm

Actually, the Texas Legislature could not agree to a redistricting plan based on the 2000 census, so a federal court did it for them, redrawing it with two additional districts, but leaving the rest pretty much the same. This bill was an attempt to redraw it the way it should have been drawn two years ago.

But, I have to contend, they should have got their act together and got it done back then instead of leaving it to the feds. It's all a mess...

sccutler

Sat May 17, 2003 2:26 am

Of equal consequence, the redistricting proposal was fully within the confines of the law. It should have been the subject of debate in the legislature, and a vote in accord with the established rules of the legislative process... a process which has been fully acceptable to the Democratic party for the nearly 13 decades during which it held the majority, but which now it finds repugnant.

My points, made above, stand unchallenged.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

heavymetal

Sat May 17, 2003 3:19 am

My points, made above, stand unchallenged.

Well, it's either this or guns & tanks man. Simple as that. If you ask me the Republicans are engaging in nothing short of 'tyranny of the masses'. They have a majority in Texas. I can't foresee a time in Texas in the near or even mildly distant future when Democrats have the kind of power Republicans do now. The Texas GOP knows this, yet now they're shortcutting a schedule and tradition to gain a supermajority. At some point in time when one group of people tyrannizes another, they're gonna fight back, majority or not.

And aside from that, this is tricky nasty politics. We who aren't Texas Republicans, whether we live in the Lone Star State or not, have had to deal with more than our share of deceit and insiderism and oligarchy from Texans for two years now. What the Texas Democrats did is what the rest of us will do if the right wing tyranny coming from the Texans in Washington keeps it up. Fine. We play by your rules. Sneaky. Lying. Tricky. What goes around comes around, and if a bunch of cowboys in the Texas GOP are pantie-bunched because their Democratic brethren "aren't playing fair".....hey, payback's a bitch.

Alpha 1

Sat May 17, 2003 3:34 am

It should have been the subject of debate in the legislature..

The Republicans weren't interested in debate on this. They knew they could steamroll this thorugh the legislature, and make it law. Again, it seems when the GOP is faces with a fact they don't like, they just change the facts to fit their purpose. This seems to be such a case.

cba

Sat May 17, 2003 6:25 am

"Still as a taxpayer, I would be pissed if my legislator fled to Oklahoma and refused to represent me."

As a Texan, I feel that those 51 legislators are accurately representing me. The GOP wants to redistrict the state so politicians that represent my interests would lose their districts to those who don't represent my interests. So by fleeing the state, those Democrats represent my interests.