The WHA Set To Return In '04

Sat May 17, 2003 10:06 am

Doing some surfing on some minor-league hockey sites, I found out that several Canadian businessmen are planning on relaunching the World Hockey Association, the upstart challenger to the NHL back in the 1970s. They plan to start play in 2004, but their minor-league WHA2 plans on beginning play this fall, with at least 8-10 teams, with most of them defecting from the fledgling Atlantic Coast Hockey League (ACHL). The WHA is actually looking at putting teams in several NHL cities. The reason why they are planning to start in October of 2004 is that the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement expires in September of 2004. The minimum net worth to obtain rights to a WHA franchise is $100 Million. Here's a link to the "new" WHA website:

RE: The WHA Set To Return In '04

Sat May 17, 2003 11:33 am

That would really suck to have a game in Halfiax one night and play in LA the next. Talk about jetlag!

I don't see this becoming anything more than another minor league. There just isn't enough talent out there to bring in the fans, no matter how cheap they play for. Although it would be nice to get a team here in Birmingham.
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

Sat May 17, 2003 1:51 pm

When will they learn? You can't compete with the bigs. I agree with Learpilot; it'll be another minor league and there are enough of those already. Here's what will happen; they're offer some third line NHLers and some big name players on their way out disgusting amounts of cash to establish the level of the league. Half the cities will barely clear 5,000 in average attendance, and will fold quickly leaving a handful of hanger-oner cities. Those will last another season, then the entire league will either fold or concede to be a minor league; probably a retirement home for old-time NHLers. Maybe they should call it IHL2
"Shaddap you!"

Sat May 17, 2003 4:54 pm

If they want to compete with the NHL, why are they trying to get into markets that can not afford a team of that caliber? I really don't think Saskatoon can support that kind of team, and Vancouver already has an NHL team. Chicago has three (?) teams. This will just go the way of the WCHL. I just hope Paul Allen holds out for the Sabres to bring them to Portland!

Patriotic and Proud Liberal