airworthy

Muslim Woman Sues For Veiled Driver License Photo

Thu May 29, 2003 2:55 am

Today a woman in Florida is suing for the right to wear her veil for her Florida driver's license. The woman became Muslim about 5 years ago and needs a car to drive her kids around.

The ACLU says she should be able to wear it due to her religious beliefs.

But where does the seperation of church and state begin? Should Florida make individual laws for each religion? Is the public safety at risk when it will be very easy to steal her license and use it for any other means? Is the public safety at risk when she's driving with the veil on?

Florida should watch out...Amnesty International is watching

EA CO AS

RE: Muslim Woman Sues For Veiled Driver License Photo

Thu May 29, 2003 3:20 am

The only conceivable problem with this woman's argument is that the need to have a full-face photo actually conforms to INTERNATIONAL standards, not just those of the United States or the State of Florida.

Having your face covered, fully or otherwise, cannot satisfy a condition of a card to be used as identification.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

corocks

Thu May 29, 2003 3:41 am

This is just plain stupid. The purpose of a drivers license is a ID. What good is it if you cannot tell who it is.

jwenting

Thu May 29, 2003 4:24 am

Another example of the fine men and women of the ACLU (and similar groups worldwide) and how they pervert justice and law to suit their narrowminded definition of "equal rights".
If I wear a fullface mask because I don't like my face it's not accepted either...
I wish I were flying

Eric505

Thu May 29, 2003 4:32 am

Take off the veil or don't drive.
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life

b757300

Thu May 29, 2003 4:56 am

Florida should watch out...Amnesty International is watching

Seriously, do you really think that the State of Florida really cares what AI thinks? Where was AI all those years Saddam was murdering people by the millions every year?

This whole case is just plain stupid. The whole purpose for a photo on your driver's license is for identification. If you can't see the person in it then the card is worthless. Like others have said, either take off the veil or don't drive.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Sonic

Thu May 29, 2003 4:59 am

Could someone who knows tell, werether such licence would be allowed in for example United Arab Emirates (or other nearby Arab countries where women are allowed to drive), or are there no photos required for driver IDs at all?

Marco

Thu May 29, 2003 5:37 am

I lived in Dubai for nine years and we never had these problems. These people are trying to abuse the freedom given to them in the states (something they do NOT have in their own countries).
Proud to be an Assyrian!

NoUFO

RE: Muslim Woman Sues For Veiled Driver License Ph

Thu May 29, 2003 6:30 am

Where was AI all those years Saddam was murdering people by the millions every year?

Why don't you just visit http://www.amnesty.org to figure out what they did?
In brief: They informed governments around the globe that Hussein is one of the worse violator of human rights. But you have already said it:
Seriously, do you really think that the State of Florida really cares what AI thinks?
And it is not only Florida ... unfortunately.
Do you know that Bush Sr. jused AI's reports on Iraq to justify the former Gulf war?

And veiled/unveiled driver license photos simply do not fall within amnesty's mandate.
I support the right to arm bears

advancedkid

Thu May 29, 2003 6:46 am

Hi there,
Well, I think this is kinda funny/weird.
How in the world can such a woman travel?
This is enough room for frauds to take place.
This veil thing is sure an extremist or even
perverted form of Islam.
Do they walk into banks like this and thru
airport security and checking in?

Marco, what do you mean their countries?
The lady in question is American, converted
a few years ago.

Regards,

Advanced

jwenting

Thu May 29, 2003 6:47 am

As to AI, they lost all credibility with me a decade ago when they accused the Dutch government of mental torture of prison inmates.
The reason: they only had 20 channels of cable TV (at the time my parents at their house had no cable TV at all because the cable company refused to install it. They had a grand total of 6 channels on a large antenna bolted to the outside wall of the house).
I wish I were flying

Sonic

Thu May 29, 2003 6:54 am

Yes, Jwenting, and if you'd look to AI report on Lithuania you'd see that police is supposedly tortuing people by putting on gas mask and blocking the breath chanells... I even could designate their source - there was once (maybe a year ago) an article about such a supposed tortue in a tabloid "Vakaro Žinios", which posts many bogus information - it told that major bank will bankrupt, that half of Lithuanian famous people are gays, that WW3 started (after sep 11), etc. It is funny that AI believes such sources. After that, I started not to look that seriously to them anymore when they talks about contitions in Saudi jails for example.

redngold

Thu May 29, 2003 7:11 am

What do women do...
...in Iran?
...in Saudi Arabia?
...in other theocratic Muslim countries where they are allowed to drive?

Do they have to wear their veils for driver's license photos there?

redngold
Up, up and away!

Sonic

Thu May 29, 2003 7:24 am

Redngold, this is what I was asking. In Saudi Arabia women are not allowed to drive, don't know about the laws elsewhere. Probably there are no pictures on drivers licences at all, just names?

NoUFO

Thu May 29, 2003 7:26 am

Jwenting,

As to AI, they lost all credibility with me a decade ago when they accused the Dutch government of mental torture of prison inmates.
The reason: they only had 20 channels of cable TV.

I was an ai-member for some 12 or 14 years, I even teached mandatory questions for newbies as well as for "advanced" members but this never came to my attention.
I am really, really having a hard time believing this was an official stance of amnesty international.

AI's mandate bases on international declarations (first and foremostly the Universal Declaration of Human Rights). Granted, declarations provide room for different approaches and interpretations but there is no such thing like AI's very personal stance on human rights.

As those declarations do not say prisoners were entitled for cable TV, you won't find this line in AI's mandate either. Trust me.

I think this is either
- an urban legend or
- a fake ai-group published this hoax.

fspilot747

Thu May 29, 2003 7:30 am

What nonsense. If you wanna drive, take the veil off. If you don't wanna take the veil off (which isn't required anyhow, just culture), then don't drive. Simple, clear cut. How can it be an ID card if the face isn't visible? Hope the state wins this one.

Cheers,
FSP

[Edited 2003-05-29 00:30:44]

artsyman

Thu May 29, 2003 7:42 am

This case is actually just trying to create a divide. Here is the situation for some of the other arab nations

Saudi Arabia: Women aren't allowed to drive

Iran: Women wear a traditional Shadour, which does not cover the face.

Egypt: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

United Arab Emirates: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

Oman: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

Kuwait: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

Qatar: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

Bahrain: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

Jordan: Women can drive if their faces are covered but do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

NoUFO

Thu May 29, 2003 7:45 am

Sonic,

(...) if you'd look to AI report on Lithuania you'd see that police is supposedly tortuing people by putting on gas mask and blocking the breath chanells... I even could designate their source - there was once (maybe a year ago) an article about such a supposed tortue in a tabloid "Vakaro Zinios", which posts many bogus information (...) It is funny that AI believes such sources.

Amnesty merely cited an European Committee rather than confirming the information:

The report of the first visit of the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) to Lithuania in February 2000 was made public in October 2001. (...) The report disclosed the following findings:
Alleged torture and ill-treatment -
police detention facilities and prisons
The CPT stated that, in comparison with past years, it appeared that there had been a marked improvement in the treatment of detainees by police in Lithuania. The CPT considered that, previously, instances of ill-treatment were more frequent and their severity greater, and included electro-shock torture, beatings on the soles of the feets and the insertion of needles under the nails. However, the CPT still found that ''... a significant proportion of the persons interviewed alleged that they had been ill-treated while in police custody''.(21) The alleged ill-treatment consisted mainly of slaps, punches, kicks and blows and mostly occurred before, during and after interrogation. Disturbingly, the CPT noted that ''[i]n certain cases, the ill-treatment alleged - e.g. partial suffocation by placing a rubber gas mask over the person's face and severe beating - could be qualified as torture.''(22) (...) It considered that the number and consistency of the allegations lent them credibility.

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGEUR010022002?open&of=ENG-LTU

BA

Thu May 29, 2003 7:47 am

Jordan: Women can drive if their faces are covered

That's not true. Women do not have to cover their face to drive. It's a matter of choice, there is no rule that forces women to cover their face anywhere.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

artsyman

Thu May 29, 2003 7:49 am

That's not true. Women do not have to cover their face to drive. It's a matter of choice, there is no rule that forces women to cover their face anywhere.

I was saying that they can drive with their faces covered, or uncovered, the point being that if they want them covered, it is ok to drive that way

BA

Thu May 29, 2003 7:52 am

I was saying that they can drive with their faces covered, or uncovered, the point being that if they want them covered, it is ok to drive that way

My apologies, I misunderstood.

The only country in the Middle East where women are forced to cover their face anywhere (whether driving or just in a public area such as in a restaurant) is Saudi Arabia.

In all other Arab countries, it's optional.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

galaxy5

Thu May 29, 2003 7:59 am

Easy problem to solve, dont issue her a drivers license, driving is a priviledge not a right.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

redngold

Thu May 29, 2003 8:13 am

I say we send the ACLU the little digest of license photo rules that our friend Artsyman posted, and see whether they continue to pursue this matter.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

redngold
Up, up and away!

Marco

Thu May 29, 2003 8:42 am

Marco, what do you mean their countries?
The lady in question is American, converted
a few years ago.

By this I mean Islamic countries (particularly Saudi Arabia where women can't even drive). On the other hand, other tolerant Islamic societies (particularly the UAE) require women to show their faces in order to obtain their ID. This is a question of security, and should not be compromised for any religion.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

airafrique

Thu May 29, 2003 9:20 am

The catholic nuns are not allowed to wear veil on the head when taken photo ID.

I will not admit a law in a democratic country like the U.S. modified for any religion.
If she does not want to leave in US. She can freely go to live in Saudia Arabia.

gocaps16

Thu May 29, 2003 9:25 am

You know, I've seen this happen on the road driving in DC. This lady, a muslim was driving her car by herself wearing a viel covering her whole face. I guess on her drivers license, her veil is off or unless she is driving without a license. It was actually quite scary since my friend and I didn't know what that was and this was days after Sept. 11, 2001.

I think if she wants to drive in the U.S, take it off or don't get a license....simply is that. Sorry, I know it's part of yu and it's your culture, but I never understand them. Same with nuns, they just cannot show any part of their skin ad hair except for their faces.
Kevin

artsyman

Thu May 29, 2003 9:32 am

Marco, what do you mean their countries? The lady in question is American, converted a few years ago.

Yes, but her and her legal team are playing the race card, they are stating that the US is doing this because she is a muslim. The point being that even in predominently Muslim countries, she wouldn't have this right, and whole lot less of pretty much every other right

MxCtrlr

Thu May 29, 2003 10:21 am

Redngold,

What do women do...
...in Iran?
...in Saudi Arabia?
...in other theocratic Muslim countries where they are allowed to drive?

Do they have to wear their veils for driver's license photos there?

The short answer, AFAIK, is that this isn't a problem in those countries as women aren't ALLOWED to drive! I agree with those above who have said - Keep the veil and don't drive or Drive and ditch the veil - one or the other but not BOTH! Nobody in this country has a "God-given right" to drive a vehicle. If you choose to drive, then you must conform to the rules of the State to which you are applying for that license. Since the DL is a valid form of identification, then her face needs to be promintently displayed on it. Would the US Government issue her a Passport wearing the veil? No! Nor would any "Muslim" country, as it wouldn't be valid as identification.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

kolobokman

Thu May 29, 2003 10:32 am

Are women in US alowed to cover their hair for a picture?
Becuse they are in Russia.
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

EA CO AS

Thu May 29, 2003 10:46 am

Are women in US alowed to cover their hair for a picture?
Becuse they are in Russia.

But when someone's hair is covered, you can still see their face for the purpose of identifying them. When the FACE is entirely obscured, there is no way to positively identify the person.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Alpha 1

Thu May 29, 2003 12:07 pm

Working the CLE-LGW flight a lot, I've noticed that even the most covered-up Arab woman has a Passport ID with their face showing. It's for obvious reasons: anyone could be behind that veil.

I think this women, her personal religious beliefs aside, she cannot have her face covered. How would ANYONE ever identify her?

This is PC, once again, running amuck.

airlinelover

Thu May 29, 2003 12:28 pm

This happened some years back as well.. This was an email that has gone around for a long time, about the other instance...

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT.

I am tired of this nation
worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their
culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the
attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began
complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending
others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone
who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is
almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there are
a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and
apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America
being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and
our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own
society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been
developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions
of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese,
Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to
become part of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian,
right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian
men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is
clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the
walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another
part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then
you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We
are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really
don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every! citizen
the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to
do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our
flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly
encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE
RIGHT TO LEAVE.

I know not everyone will agree, and I respect that. This is something that was in a Tampa newspaper not long after 9-11, and I believe it 100%..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Alpha 1

Thu May 29, 2003 12:32 pm

I agree with most of the sentiment in that, Chris, but my worry isn't how it's applied to a woman trying to get a drivers' license. I think we've taken this "screw what the world thinks" mentality to levels that make us look like little crybabies. That's my worry about this "Sept 11 Syndrome."

L-188

Thu May 29, 2003 2:58 pm

I hope this lady loses her case.

The story is that when she originally went to get her Florida license the clerk screwed up and didn't make her take off the veil. When the management found out and sent her the notice to either retake the photo or lose her license she decided to fight it.

Oh by the way, here are the rules in some selected muslum law states.

Driver’s identification rules in Muslim nations:
Saudi Arabia: Women aren't allowed to drive
Iran: Women wear a traditional chador, which does not cover the face.
Egypt: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
United Arab Emirates: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
Oman: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
Kuwait: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
Qatar: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
Bahrain: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
Jordan: Women can drive if their faces are covered but do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

flyboy36y

Thu May 29, 2003 4:54 pm

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT.

I am tired of this nation
worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their
culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the
attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began
complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending
others.

This is some of the most disgusting stuff I have ever read. America is a nation of immigrants. We are anation of diversity. The notions that imingrants should adapt would mean we'd all hold pow-wows. All Americans come from imigrants.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone
who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is
almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there are
a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and
apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America
being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and
our national identity.

Our national identity is an eclectic mix of many others...

As Americans, we have our own culture, our own
society, our own language and our own lifestyle.

No we don't. There are many culured that maske up America. Forgetting imigrans, comapre a New Yorker to a Texas farmboy.

This culture has been
developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions
of men and women who have sought freedom.

Yet the author thinks now that we have "freedom" we are not free to live as we please.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese,
Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to
become part of our society, learn the language!

WE don't speak anything. WE don't have an official language. If by "we" you mean Americans, then "we" speak everything.

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian,
right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian
men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is
clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the
walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another
part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

Separation of church and state??? I was laughing so hard at this one. God is part of the Author's individual identity. What about atheists? We're all Americans. Who is he to say what a "real" American is. God does not offend me, the author does. I though the UUS was a place for relligious freedom. If god offends me, should I not stay here free to be offened???

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then
you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We
are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really
don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle.

He's back on this "we" and "our" crap again. Arguing this is getting lame.

Our First Amendment gives every! citizen
the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to
do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our
flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly
encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE
RIGHT TO LEAVE.

So if we use our right to complain then we should leave? Not much of a right, is it. Perhaps we should not complain when the Japanese were intered? Or slavery? Is the country allways right? It was complaining that got us to seperate from thr crown! Complaining is an American pastime.

Again, I'm shocked that anyone would even write this. Even more shocked anyone would agree. Blind nationalism is a dangerous; look at Nazi Germany. America is dynamic and diverse. No one person is the embodimet of an American. No one view or culture is American.

flyboy36y

Thu May 29, 2003 4:55 pm

By the way, I think this woman is crazy. She has no right to wear the veil....

jwenting

Thu May 29, 2003 8:23 pm

This is some of the most disgusting stuff I have ever read. America is a nation of immigrants. We are anation of diversity. The notions that imingrants should adapt would mean we'd all hold pow-wows. All Americans come from imigrants.

No it doesn't.
Immigrants SHOULD adapt. If none did there would be no "US society" or "US culture" but only collection of individuals.
IF something in the culture of that immigrant is worth having, society will incorporate that but that doesn't mean that immigrants can just do whatever they like and have society adapt to them.

What's next, allowing muslims to slaughter sheep in the streets of Manhattan to celebrate their festivals? That's Islamic culture too.
Or allowing people from Borneo to go around killing and eating people? They're traditionally canibals, according to your logic they should be allowed to practice that.
Should we allow people from different African tribes to wage fullscale tribal warfare in our cities? They do that at home, don't they?
These might be extreme examples, but if we follow your logic that immigrants don't have to adapt to the society of their host country then that's the ultimate result.

As Americans, we have our own culture, our own
society, our own language and our own lifestyle.

No we don't. There are many culured that maske up America. Forgetting imigrans, comapre a New Yorker to a Texas farmboy.

And therefore you DO have your own culture, as multifaceted as it is.
Or maybe different parts of the US have slightly different cultures, but the underlying core is the same all over.

Again, I'm shocked that anyone would even write this. Even more shocked anyone would agree. Blind nationalism is a dangerous; look at Nazi Germany. America is dynamic and diverse. No one person is the embodimet of an American. No one view or culture is American.

And blindly following when someone says he wants to do something that's different from what is generally accepted leads to Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin.
I wish I were flying

N312RC

Fri May 30, 2003 12:52 am

No it doesn't.
Immigrants SHOULD adapt. If none did there would be no "US society" or "US culture" but only collection of individuals.
IF something in the culture of that immigrant is worth having, society will incorporate that but that doesn't mean that immigrants can just do whatever they like and have society adapt to them.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. America wouldnt be the way it is today if my ancestors (who came from Poland), didnt assimilate into the "American culture". For example, my ancestors brought over recipes for the best Golabki and Pierogi youve ever tasted. On the other hand, they learned to speak English. Alot of these people who come here now dont even have the common courtesy to learn english.

I've also noticed this here lately. Many foreigners who come here (specifically arab/indian/asian) dont really make any attempts to melt into the culture here.. They live and act just as they would back where-ever they came from (right down to living in a 300,000 dollar house, but drying clothes on a clothes line in the front yard). This even goes down to dress.. Not that I see anything wrong with it, but they wear this full traditional garb, even when theyre out walking around the neighborhood.

The Arabs in East Dearborn have totally replicated a typical street in say.. Beirut. The only place in this great nation of ours that I go to and have no idea where I am because all the signs are in Arabic.
N/A

747-451

Fri May 30, 2003 1:32 am

Immigrants should adapt, at least in public when dealing with other US Citizens of other nationalities. Socieity can only conduct it's "Business" with some commonalities, such as laws and language. You are free to express your cultural nuances in public if you choose so long as you don't infringe on others and you can practice your customs amongst yourselves.

If the Muslim woman is so upset, then she shouldn't drive or she should wear an abaya.

NWA742

Fri May 30, 2003 2:00 am

I hope she loses.

This idiot obviously thinks that driving is some kind of right for her, and not a privilege. And she further pushes it by acting like she is "above" everyone else who has to have a proper ID.

Aside from a person's passport, your Driver's Liscense is one of the most important pieces of ID a person has.

Why should this woman be allowed to do something that no one else is just because of her religion?

Insane

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs