wardialer

Anyone Familiar With Linux/Knoppix 3.2?

Sat May 31, 2003 3:39 pm

I just recently got Knoppix 3.2 and currently I have Windows XP. Could anyone tell me IN DETAIL on how to boot up a knoppix CD?

UN_B732

RE: Anyone Familiar With Linux/Knoppix 3.2?

Sat May 31, 2003 9:21 pm

You have to go into the BIOS, by pressing F10 or Esc. while it says the name of the computer manfacturer...and enable booting off of the CD in the settings. That should allow you to boot of a Knoppix CD (I don't know a thing about Knoppix) that booted me off a RedHat 9.0 CD
-Transaero Boeing 737-200
What now?

bobrayner

Sat May 31, 2003 10:20 pm

It would be a poor bios config that didn't boot from CD by default anyway.  Big grin

Just put in the CD, start/restart your PC, and see what happens.

Bear in mind that Knoppix (as any non-microsoft OS) will have some difficulty with NTFS. It's likely that your current partition[s] is/are NTFS.

If you just want an OS-on-a-CD I would recommend trying to obtain WinPE instead. It's a very stripped-down XP that will also boot from a CD, and of course will have no difficulties with anything that your static XP installation has left on the hard disk. Standard footprint is about 100-130Mb so there's plenty of room on the disk for other stuff - recovery tools being an obivous choice.
Cunning linguist

bobrayner

Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:44 am

Could anyone tell me IN DETAIL on how to boot up a knoppix CD?

I think that's about it, really. The intention of Knoppix is to boot without interaction; it takes a couple of minutes to detect all your hardware (generally reliable but not as good as PE), starts X and KDE, and then you're ready to play.

In principle the hardest past of booting knoppix should be pressing the button on the front panel of your PC.  Smile
Cunning linguist