Topic Author

C240 Sound System Help Needed....

Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:09 am

Ok, I have a 2002 C240 and would like to upgrade the sound system a little. What would be a good system to have in it that wouldnt leave me broke. I already have the CD changer and all that. I am mainly looking for some nice sounding speakers. Any ideas?
I believe I can fly.....

RE: C240 Sound System Help Needed....

Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:53 am

Yeah, get a BMW or an Audi =)

...or you could just try Bose, can't go wrong with them.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:25 am

Good luck with the CD changer, if it is an M-B branded one it will only work with the MB radio. Becker at one time had a web site on upgrades to their systems, but, for all intensive purposes, all you will find there is it is necessary to replace everything.
SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:32 am

Go to http://www.crutchfield.com and look around. Best bet would be to pick up the phone and give them a call. Their service is top notch and they should be able to find something that will work for you. i would suggest just looking at a speaker upgrade and maybe an amp... an aftermarket stereo would just look odd in a Benz. Plus it may not work with your factory changer.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:16 pm

If you want nice sounding speakers, go to the shop to test them out. I can honestly say, after all these years, Boston Accoustics has been the best small speakers (i.e. door installation) that I've used IMO. But then, a friend of mine sat in my old car once, listened to it, and deemed them to be crap.

Maybe my ears are all wonky. In any event, upgrading the speakers make a big difference in the sound quality, and it's probably the first thing you should do. But like many have said, doing other things to your MB stereo is not easy (everything is friggin factory hardwired, so you have to use factory extras), unless if you decide to rip the whole unit out and put one in yourself.

However, you could wire an amp to your speaker outputs and put in a sub. Not a big one, just a smaller bypass box, wheelwell install, or even a bazooka can make a nice difference too.