sleekjet

Vermont - Oh The Irony

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:22 pm

I never cease to be amazed at Vermont. In some respects, it's pretty much colonial America...very, very rural and agricultural and devoted to early American values - but also maybe the most liberal group of folks between the Atlantic and Pacific.

When I go there, I only seem to see the traditional side. In the really small towns, folks are anti-urban sprawl and anti-growth of any kind...and pro-small town and family values.

But regardless, Vermont's beauty is hard to express in words. And autumn in the Green Mountains will make your eyes hurt.
II Cor. 4:17-18

mbmbos

RE: Vermont - Oh The Irony

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:11 pm

Has it occurred to you that there might not be any contradiction between small towns, folks who support family values, are against urban sprawl and liberal values?

It's right there in your face - a blending of liberal attitudes and an idyllic country life - and yet you can't believe it. Oh, the irony!

jaysit

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:20 pm

What are early American values?
What are "liberal" values?
You throw those terms around in much the same way Bill Bennett throws cash at a slot machine.
Having lived in Vermont, I know that its a "live and let live" state in which folks respect individual human rights and prefer to have the government outside their individual homes and bedrooms. They also vote for those elected officials who will guarantee the amazing, stupendous beauty of their state. Vermont is beautiful at any time of the year. In Autumn, however, you can get drunk on its beauty. Some day, I hope to retire in my little house in Norwich.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

mbmbos

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:38 pm

"What are early American values? "

I don't know. Where in this thread has the term been used?

"What are "liberal" values?"

You are the one who mentioned liberalism and the irony of it's strong hold in rural Vermont.

I don't see it as terribly ironic actually.

"Having lived in Vermont, I know that its a "live and let live" state in which folks respect individual human rights and prefer to have the government outside their individual homes and bedrooms."

I think that what you are referring to is what is know as libertarianism, which is prevalent throughout the United States - not just Vermont. Conservatives have taken ownership of libertarianism, as they have used it successfully in populist campaign themes. But you'll find very strong threads of libertarianism running through the liberal camp as well.

mbmbos

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:39 pm

Very sorry Jaysit. I got you confused with Sleekjet. Thought he was responding to me.