Topic Author

Best Type Of Laptop Security Cable?

Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:31 pm

I just purchased a new Dell I5100 notebook computer, and am wondering what type of security cable to buy to protect it when I go back to school in the fall. At our local Best Buy, there are two brands, both same price: Targus & Kensington.

Which is the best???

RE: Best Type Of Laptop Security Cable?

Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:42 pm

It doesn't make a difference. Both brands are good, and a properly-used laptop cable is very, very rarely the weakest link in the chain.

Much more important is remembering to use it all the time, and always connecting it to something immobile  Smile
Cunning linguist

RE: Best Type Of Laptop Security Cable?

Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:15 pm

Especially the latter.
I've seen many laptops that were chained to a leg of the desk they were standing on, simply lifting up the leg would free the cable...

But even with a cable a determined thief won't be slowed by more than the few seconds it takes to break it loose or cut it.
Best way to prevent theft remains not letting it out of your sight. Just pack it up when you plan to leave the room (unless it's for just a few minutes and someone else you trust can look after it for that long).

And always remember the greatest risk of theft is still from someone stealing it while you're underway.
Last year there was a gang active here who'd wait at the exits of parking garages, stop cars coming out (by driving a moped in front of them), break open windows and grab any laptop cases in reach.
I wish I were flying