mhsieh

Are Monster Trucks Street Legal?

Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:39 pm

Today, while ridng in my buddy's Z3 on the 405 in Orange County in SoCal, we were tailgated by this huge monster truck (a full size pick-up jacked up about 4-5 feet off the ground) It really p*ssed us off. No only was it very annoying but more importantly, it was very dangerous. Given the height, I wonder how well that idiot can see other vehicles around him. He could have run us over and not even know it! That kind of vehicle is defintely a threat to other's safety. I was hoping CHP would pull him over. Aren't there any regulation regarding these vehicles? These things should not be street legal.

ha763

RE: Are Monster Trucks Street Legal?

Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:18 pm

It will vary from state to state, but yes there are regulations regarding the modification of vehicles. For example, any modified automobiles have to get and pass a special safety check, which is available only in a few state run locations to make sure no illegal modifications have been done. However, enforcement here is very lax and most are only cited when they have been pulled over for some other reason.

L-188

Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:37 pm

It depends on which state you are in.

Some kits may be legal in some states while in others they are illegal.

Also some states are more anal on how high you can raise something.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

cptkrell

Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:00 am

I was under the impression that CA was about the strictest of all states regarding vehicle modifications. Topping my list of the myriad of reasons not to modify a "daily driver" in such a way is that the center of gravity is raised so high that the vehicle becomes unstable in quick maneuver or uneven terrain situations. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

Matt D

Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:34 am

I was under the impression that CA was about the strictest of all states regarding vehicle modifications

On the books, that may be true. But in reality, as noted above, enforcement is weak at best. Only when the cops can spare time away from their [much more] profitable speed traps, red light runners, and 'California Stop' enforcement (all in the name of safey, of course  Yeah sure) will they bother to cite such a vehicle.

Today, while ridng in my buddy's Z3 on the 405 in Orange County in SoCal, we were tailgated by this huge monster truck

Ahhhh...not too far from me, I see...you shouldda stopped by. We could've gone out for lunch.

Seriously though. Never mind practicality. SoCal is the "Status Symbol" Capitol of the world. And having a big vehcile like that (I see those that you describe all the time) gives the owner some kind of phsycological boost; being "above" all of the other drivers must mean that he's "superior" to the others.

Most likely, these people have very, VERY small penises, and this is how they deal with their insecurity. A self confident man doesn't need to show the rest of the world how "big and bad" he is.

He could have run us over and not even know it!

I'm not really sure he'd even care if he did. Like I said, a big, if not only reason someone would drive such a vehicle is to stoke his ego. Remember, a big ego is not to be confused with self confidence, or lack thereof. Someone who usually feels the need to belittle, intimidate, and, and antagonize others like that usually has some issues himself.

Of course, being here in SoCal, like I said, it's all about status. How many SUV's did you see driving around you? How many of them do you suppose ever leave the pavement other than the occasional grass parking lot? Why do we see so many car advertisements bragging about their speed, acceleration, and handling?

Given the prevailing conditions on almost every single road, street, highway, and freeway in the Greater 5 County area, no car is going to have much of any of those things.

RNOcommctr

Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:08 pm

We have a ton of these obnoxious things in Nevada. You can bet that the guys who drive these things have more testosterone than IQ. We call these vehicles "Compensators".
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

mhsieh

Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:08 pm

There was a segment on NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw and Dateline NBC on side impact collision with "full-size" SUV. For the victim who gets T-boned by a full size SUV, the result is quite grim at best.
Where is the line gonna be drawn? Can anybody with money just buy the biggest SUV he wants?? If I can afford a tank, can I buy one and drive it down the street?

jcs17

Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:40 pm

Can anybody with money just buy the biggest SUV he wants?? If I can afford a tank, can I buy one and drive it down the street?

Uhh, yeah. This America isnt it? I mean, if I am earning a decent salary, no way someone is going to tell me what kind of car I have to buy.

Hell, its not like a lower-class person cannot afford large SUVs. They can buy a used one if they want, if they want to pay for the gas.

I dont know what the weekly obsession here is about SUVs. Its a personal choice, and I dont know why people feel that they have to chastise others for the car they buy.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

RNOcommctr

Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:44 pm

The original post was about jacked-up pick-up trucks, not SUV's in general. I am not an SUV lover at all, but concede their usefulness for some people. These monster trucks, however, are absolutely insane, serve no useful purpose, and are extremely unsafe for not only the drivers but other motorists.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!