777kicksass
Topic Author

MLB - Hitting Order

Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:21 am

Sorry guys, last post about this!!

How is the order of hitters determined? It seems that each innings lasts for 3 outs, so do the hitters just keep rotating??

Also, do pitchers hit?

KROC

RE: MLB - Hitting Order

Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:27 am

There are 9 batting slots. Whoever makes the last out of an inning, the batter on deck at that time, would be the one who leads off the next inning.

As for deciding the batting order, usually the top and middle of the lineup are for your stronger hitters. The bottom of the order is for the weaker ones. Pitchers do bat in the National League only, and usually bat last (9th).

aa61hvy

Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:23 am

I should add pitchers AVG's are generally below .200
Go big or go home

777kicksass
Topic Author

Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:02 am

OK so in the NL and AL how many players are there on a pitch at one time for a team? What extra player bats for AL teams?? And I suppose who does not bat for NL teams to make 9 slots??

Hmmm it seems strange that there are different rules!! What happens in inter-league games?

Thanks, I apologise for my naivete but I am learning baseball with no real information, over here in England! You try learning the rules of cricket!

STT757

Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:52 am

"Hmmm it seems strange that there are different rules!! What happens in inter-league games?"

The rules of the home team apply, so if an AL team (lets say NY Yankees) are playing a National League team (lets say Chicago Cubs) at the National League team's stadium (Wrigley field Chicago) then the rules of the home team's league are used.

In the American league the Pitchers do not bat, in their place there is a position known as the designated hitter. All they do is hit, they do not field. Many baseball traditionalists (myself included) believe the National League rules (where the pitcher bats) is the better more traditional way of playing the game, it's been proposed many times to get rid of the designated hitter in the American League.

http://www.mlb.com
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

4holer

Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:38 am

All good points above, but here's a little of the logic behind why the batting order goes as it does. The manager decides the batting order before each game and it just makes sense to put his best hitters at the top of the order. They stand to get the most at bats per game. (At the final out of the game, the batter on deck is probably not the leadoff hitter, 1 in 9 chance, so that batter will have had 1 more at bat than those at the bottom of the order from the on deck hitter on) Leadoff hitters tend to be fast runners who create scoring chances through speed on the bases and hopefully a high on base percentage. Then, if he gets on base, the following hitters try to advance, or score him. The #4 hitter is usually a slugger with plenty of power whose job it is to get those high average players who have batted before him, and are hopefully on base, across home plate (runs), hence the term "cleanup hitter". #5 should not be a pushover either, otherwise pitchers will not give #4 any good pitches to hit, preferring to walk the cleanup hitter to face the weaker #5 hitter. Batters #6-9 are your weaker hitters, not expected to do much with the bat. In the National League, the pitcher almost always is #9, the weakest hitter. The American League does indeed have a "Designated Hitter" for the pitcher, which I think is an abomination, a pox upon the game, who is usually a fat, over the hill but high priced player who can no longer play well on the field but can still swing a bat. The player's union will never allow the AL to drop it coz they would lose those high paid union members. The DH is a joke.

Hope that helps, and if you explain the game to anyone over the pond, don't forget to stress how stupid the Designated Hitter rule is.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

desertjets

Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:32 am

Watching pitchers hit, or even better run bases is the most entertaining thing in the world. Many times in the DBacks World Series season Randy Johnson would manage to get on base. Which is a nightmare for the manager. He can't run, and when he does it is quite comical. You don't really want your star pitcher sliding into bases and stuff. But you also have your faster base runners at the top of the order behind him.

I remember at one point early in that season Johnson was hitting better than those whom he pitched against.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

USAFHummer

Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:11 am

It should be noted that in the world series when games are played at National League parks the AL team is not allowed to use a designated hitter and the pitcher bats, which is somewhat amusing since, as pointed out before, AL pitchers dont bat normally...also, during interleague play at NL parks the same applies...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

aa61hvy

Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:25 pm

Being the DH would be sweet, you bat and then sit down.
Go big or go home

777kicksass
Topic Author

Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:30 am

Yeah that designated hitter rule does seem really stupid!! Thanks for clearing things up guys!