skyservice_330

What The World Thinks Of America

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:13 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/america/index.html

Interesting report, includes views from all over the world. Check it out.

Regards.

vafi88

RE: What The World Thinks Of America

Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:57 am

Interesting, but think about this. How does America present itself to the world speaking of modern terms (anti-ballistic treaty, global warming(not attending), war with Iraq)

And then think about how America thinks of itself (ONLY thinking about its' interests instead of a more worldly solution)
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

emiratesa345

Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:17 am

Yes, actuallty I saw it on the television last night. Very interesting. I'm not surprised at all.

EmiratesA345  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

charleslp

Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:44 am

Well, that poll clears up a lot of things. I thought practically the whole world (95%+) was against the U.S. Maybe I've just been watching too many protests on CNN  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Super Em

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:34 pm

I think there's hatred and distrust towards the American government and not the people.

sebolino

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:15 am

That's funny:

4 out of 5
Proportion of overall respondents who said they would not like to live in the United States if given the chance.

An overwhelming majority of American respondents (96 per cent) said people outside the U.S. want to come and live there.

No comment

Jaspike

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:36 am

I'm guessing this is the programme the BBC made which was shown here on Tuesday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/wtwta/default.stm

It was good  Big thumbs up

Josh

Continental

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:17 am

Dude, if they gotta go and get all jealous why don't they come and fight us???

BTW no I'm not serious, so don't give me anything.

co

HOMER71

Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:47 am

Watch out, Jordan and Brazil...you're next!  Big grin
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

aa61hvy

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:30 am

My attitude with people liking America, is like my attitude toward people liking me. I am a likeable guy, if you don't like me, your loss. I don't care.
Go big or go home

QANTASforever

Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:06 am

Pretty obvious Stuff.

One could assume from the beginning that the USA, Israel, Canada and Australia would be with the US. South Korea and Brazil had a few surprises. Never knew there was such an anti-american sentiment in those countries. Jordan and France - no surprises there. Bien sur.

QANTASFOREVER
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

cptkrell

Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:49 am

I am wondering if any of the 11,020 people polled, that think the USA is not such a good place, have any contact for first-hand opinions with the 1,064,318 people that immigrated here in 2001 or the approx 275,000 people that sneak in here illegally every year? Regards...Jack
all best; jack

Schoenorama

Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:51 am

And this is what the Americans think (about the War).

- A third of the American public believes U.S. forces have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq
- Before the war, half of those polled in a survey said Iraqis were among the 19 hijackers on Sept. 11, 2001

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/front/6085261.htm

"Given the intensive news coverage and high levels of public attention, this level of misinformation suggests some Americans may be avoiding having an experience of cognitive dissonance."

That is, of having their beliefs conflict with the facts. Kull noted that the mistaken belief that weapons had been found "is substantially greater among those who favored the war."

I guess they also interviewed Dubya...  Wink/being sarcastic
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

charleslp

Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:27 am

Before the war, half of those polled in a survey said Iraqis were among the 19 hijackers on Sept. 11, 2001

If 9/11 never happened, does anyone think the US would still have gone to Afghanistan and Iraq?

blink182

Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:48 am

The essay written by Alain de Chalvron gives a good feel for how President Bush has brainwashed the US citizens and I believe Time Magazine reported that the French tourism stands to lose 500 million(can't remember if it was the euro or the USD) in lost revenues. Everybody in the United States points to D-Day, but somehow they forget Lafayette. Had the French not helped the United States in Lafayette, the United States would not have existed to return the favor in 1944. Essentially, D-Day was about the United States paying France back, not the French owing the US.

There were a few surprises, namely Russia. I can see why the Russians feel an anti-american sentiment, but does jealousy have anything to do with it? The author of the article, Vladimir Pozner, pointed out that Russia is no longer a super-power, and the United States is. The last sentence was chilling, "let the US not forget that Russia remains a nuclear superpower."

South Korean civilians have every right to feel the way they do. If a South Korean soldier ran over 2 american junior high girls in the United States, they'd be sitting in a jail cell knowing that in a couple of years they will recieve a lethal injection.

The others were predictable.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

MagicMan_841

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:16 pm

Perhaps they should have asked what people from Nicaragua, Guatemala and Salvador think...  Insane

charleslp

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:53 pm

Perhaps they should have asked what people from Nicaragua, Guatemala and Salvador think...

Okay then, what do they think? Do they dislike the US Gov't?

BO__einG

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:56 pm

Americans are very very interesting. Not only by the people, but also by the colossal amounts of influence they inflict upon the rest of the world.

I saw the program as well and I found it interesting. All I can say for my thoughts are that for certain things, the world relies on American influence and for other things, the world does not need American influence.
Perhaps in this real world that we all live in, there needs to be one superpower to "father" or keep watch for the rest of the powers of the world.
Although what just was said sounds a little weird, to a certain degree, it makes sense.

I was surprised that more South Koreans fear USA than their neighbors N Korea. That was interesting.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Banco

Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:14 pm

That some people fear America more than what might seem more obvious candidates is not actually surprising. Whilst other nations may be rogue states, the fact remains that the US has the power to act, and most others do not. Put it into context, if you have a group of people and one of them is generally benevolent but extremely strong and capable of beating everybody up, you are going to slightly wary of him, even though you recognise he is generally well intentioned. It is not about the Americans per se, but about the degree of power that they have. Not remotely surprising.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

MagicMan_841

Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:16 am

Charleslp, I won't write a book here so I suggest you go get yourself "What Uncle Sam Really Wants", by Noam Chomsky, and read it through. Then you might understand what those countries think of yours.

KFRG

Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:32 am

What does everyone think about Quebec?
I've always wondered that.  Big grin

-Tom

MagicMan_841

Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:46 am

maybe it's better not to know  Insane Laugh out loud Laugh out loud Smile/happy/getting dizzy

AC320

Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:09 am

Just ask yyz717, for a balanced poll on that subject  Big grin
fuddle duddle

B747forlife

Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:59 am

Not to start a flamewar, but seriously, if one of those countries (that showed overall anti-American sentiment) were attacked by someone or another (not the US), who do you think they would run to first? The impotent UN? No, they would run right to the US and ask for help. And the thing is, as far as I can see the US would say yes, despite the anti-American sentiment, because all the actions we have taken in the past 3 years have been to protect the security of not just the US but of other countries. The US is not a horrible nation that cares only about itself (maybe it should be, but that is a completely different subject), we still do care about the peace, properity, and security of other nations.

-Nick

emiratesa345

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:17 pm

as far as I can see the US would say yes, despite the anti-American sentiment

A lot of people see as the US as war-hungry, that is why the US always puts its nose where it doesn't belong, which then makes them unliked. That is also why they ALWAYS are willing to help FIGHT in a war.  Smile

we still do care about the peace, prosperity, and security of other nations

Ha, it doesn't show.

EmiratesA345  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

KAUSpilot

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:46 pm

This whole concept is somewhat lame....It's akin to asking fans of every sports team what their opinion is about the best sports team in the league that consistently beats them... of course there will be hateful responses. Why do many people who follow sports so passionatly here in the US hate the Dallas Cowboys, the Los Angeles Lakers, the New York Yankees.....same reasons why people all over the world "hate" america.

How are Americans wrong about saying "YES" when asked if people want to move here. They should go ask a bunch of Mexicans, Central Americans, and Chinese if they want to comer here and show us THOSE percentages.....because a lot of them ARE coming here for some reason.

And how are Americans wrong about saying "YES" to evidence of mass destruction in Iraq. They found a mobile biological weapons lab. Does this not count? Sure it does, it counts.

Eric505

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:51 pm

Ha, it doesn't show.

What about the whole Israel - Palestine fiasco? If we didn't care we would have quit striving for peace a long time ago.
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life

flight152

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:52 pm

Ha, it doesn't show.

Umm. How doesn't it show? Emirates, maybe you should back your statements with some facts, for god sakes..

STT757

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:56 pm

I have to laugh at CBC,

"Do you agree with the United States' policy on terrorism? Global warming? Nuclear proliferation? World poverty? The spread of AIDS? "

Putting a side terrorism, global warming (Kyoto) and Nuclear Proliferation.

What do most people outside the US even know about the US's position on AIDS, or "World Poverty".

I mean what the heck is "World Poverty", that's a loaded statement if I ever heard one.

The US Congress just approved PRESIDENT BUSH's proposal to spend $15 Billion to fight AIDS in Africa, that's more than double the rest of the World's efforts put together.

How many people outside the US know about the $15 Billion , do foreign news agencies even mention that or does that not meet the "standards" that editors are using to try and drum up controversy and sell more ads, increase viewers etc by bashing the US.

I guess printing news about the good things the US does for the world does not sell papers.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

skyservice_330

Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:10 pm

A) It wasn't only the CBC
B) The CBC isn't print media, it is TV, Radio, and Internet. They are not a newspaper

B747forlife

Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:22 pm

"Ha, it doesn't show." One of the best uninformed statements I've heard in a long time.

1. Israel/Palestine
2. War on Terror
3. Iraq (despite what anyone may say, the entire world is better because Saddam is gone)
4. Feeding over half of N. Korea's people (despite the fact that their gov't lied directly to our face for almost as long as Iraq lied to the UN)
5. Bosnia/Yugoslavia
The list goes on.

The US does so much more than its share in the world, and it also gets shat upon by most of the world for helping. No matter what the US does, it is not enough for some, and too much for others.

The US is very good to its allies (look how we rebuilt western Europe (that was also to stop Communism, but still)) and we don't go to war for flighty reasons. Remember how long it took for us to get involved with WWI/II?

If the US was ready to fight in wars, I'm sure we could've 'solved' Israel/Palestine a long time ago (can you say imposed DMZ?). No wait, unlike some countries, the US is committed to peace.

-Nick

cptkrell

Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:33 pm

KAUSpilot picks up on my previous reply (#11) about "us" being so bad; why the hell are millions of people from other countries lining up to immigrate here, let alone the hundreds of thousands that risk their very lives to get in here illegally? There aren't a lot of countries that you risk your life to get IN to.

Supplantive to my longstanding personal opinion that most surveys, polls, etc. are not only non-scientific, I have personally witnessed many that are, in general, pre-outcome-decided by the "contractor" of the poll (no matter how deeply removed or hidden from the "officiator"), by the very context of the questions and where the questions are asked and under what circumstances the questions are asked. Kudos, KAUSpilot, and, kind regards...Jack

all best; jack