SWA TPA
Topic Author

What Does 1 Part Mean In A Drink?

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:37 am

Allright, my favorite topic, DRINKS!
I am busy now making some very yummy sour apple martinis. 1 part sour apple vodka, 1 part apple pucker. YUM. What the heck do they mean by part? Is a part anything to your liking? I am doing like 1 1/2oz and
1 1/2oz. Is that the idea? It taste great  Smile I am just curious. I think I will go make another and further ponder this situation.........
I believe I can fly.....

aa61hvy

RE: What Does 1 Part Mean In A Drink?

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:38 am

Do it to taste. I think if it says 1 part it means do it accordingly. If it says 1 part xxx, 1 part yyy, 1 part zzz; it means 1/3 of it should be xxx
Go big or go home

bobrayner

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:47 am

"1 part" is an arbitrary measure. You could use a teaspoon, a shotglass, or a bucket - it just depends how much drink you want.

If the recipe comprises 5 parts (let's say 1 part vodka, 1 part tequila, and 3 parts red bull) and you want to drink about a pint (20 fluid ounces), then one part = 4 fluid ounces.

Hope those units are ok. I'm not used to your archaic weights and measures.  Wink/being sarcastic
Cunning linguist

aa61hvy

Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:34 am

I say screw directions for alcohol. Put as much in as you want.
Go big or go home

aerorobnz

Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:38 am

I used shot glasses as the measurement until I bought myself a Jiggler bottle top like they use in a bar. those 'jiggler' tops that go into the top of the bottle equate to either a single shot or a double shots worth depending on the type of 'Jiggler'. They are actually really useful, and they make it easy to make a cocktail.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

aa61hvy

Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:41 am

Thats the little pointy thing that comes out of the bottles? I never knew the name for those.
Go big or go home

cptkrell

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:10 pm

Dear Bobrayner; what do you mean you are not used to archaic weights and measures?? You already answered the whole deal correctly. A part is a part is a part. (Unless you're partial.)

Then, of course, when some folks might follow the old, quick-fried chicken advertisement that sez "parts is parts", now, them be DIFFERENT parts....Jack
all best; jack

AMSMAN

Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:53 am

I agree with AA61hvy
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

eg777er

Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:43 am

I think Bobrayner is referring to Metric rather than Imperial measures. I must say, despite my passion for anything Imperial, Metric is so much easier!

Anyway, back to 'one part'. It is correct that it is an arbitrary amount that only has significance in the context of a total part drink.

So where 1 part tonic, 1 part vodka may get you very drunk indeed, 4 parts tonic and 1 part vodka is a much more satisfying drink........

mirrodie

Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:26 pm

Hey SWA TPA, I believe aa61 hvy said it best in reply 1.

now, what do you mean you are making a martini without the gin?!

Thats a vodka martini you are making!

Just be sure to put the alcohol in the freezer for the best effect.

Smile
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

EA CO AS

Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:45 pm

I am busy now making some very yummy sour apple martinis. 1 part sour apple vodka, 1 part apple pucker.

For full effect, float a wafer-thin slice of green apple across the top of the glass before serving.  Smile
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

eg777er

Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:43 pm

Indeed, I always store my hard booze in the freezer: Smirnoff Black, Bombay Sapphire etc.

Black drunk straight from frozen glasses is superb.......

bobrayner

Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:52 pm

I think Bobrayner is referring to Metric rather than Imperial measures. I must say, despite my passion for anything Imperial, Metric is so much easier!

Bingo!
I can never remember the conversion rates... there are 1440 ounces in a bushel, 28 pecks in an acre, and nine pints in a yard, yes?  Smile
Cunning linguist

cptkrell

Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:35 am

Am I incorrect in remembering that the "Vodka Martini" was sort of invented by Ian Flemming when he was writing the James Bond novels? Back in the 1960's, an old mixologist told me there "was no such thing as a Vodka Martini...Martinis are mixed with Gin and just a residue of Vermouth". Is this true? Regards...Jack
all best; jack

bobrayner

Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:08 am

Yes, true.
(Disclaimer: Am not a cocktail guru)

James Bond's original drink was:
"Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon-peel"

A traditional martini wouldn't have any vodka, although I'm not sure how much vermouth you should be putting in there. Kina Lillett was apparently quite strongly flavoured (quinine?) so you'd only need a little. I think it's since changed names/labels/recipes, and the taste is more user-friendly?

Shaking it probably helps make the vermouth more manageable, as well as getting it colder (if you can palate a mix like that without chilling, you're probably used to drinking cheap vodka from the bottle, on street corners  Smile).

James Bond usually drinks larger quantities of more exotic things in the books, whereas it's all toned down a bit in the films. I think he got a whole case of Bollinger RD on room service in "License to Kill" though!
Cunning linguist

bobrayner

Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:21 am

Which gin would you prefer? Anyone?
Some of my friends rave about Bombay Sapphire...

(I gave up drinking as a new years resolution, but it's still permitted in dire emergencies.)
Cunning linguist

desertjets

Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:46 am

With Gin it is imperative to go with top shelf stuff. I swear by Bombay Shaphire myself. I know some people are also fans of Tanquery and their premium line.

I just have bad memories of drinking grocery store brand gin, from a plastic 1.75L bottle nonetheless, back in my dorm dwelling days. Had an aftertaste in my mouth for a day and a half. Nasty, nasty, nasty stuff.

Of course Snoop Dogg swears by Seagrams Gin.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia