sleekjet

Stadium Question - Very Random

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:10 pm

While watching the College World Series today (great stuff, BTW), I noticed that the stadium's lights were on. Now, this was an afternoon game played in plenty of sunlight. I can't imagine that those lights in any way aided the players one iota. This seems to be a fairly common occurrence...so I ask you, why do stadia waste all that candlepower for day games?
II Cor. 4:17-18

Tom in NO

RE: Stadium Question - Very Random

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:40 pm

I've heard the answer to this somewhere, and the exact logic escapes me.....but I think it has something to do with the glare from the sun that can occur, especially when the fielders are facing a certain direction.

I would venture a guess that Rosenblatt Stadium likely faces towards either the northeast, east, or southeast, hence the fielders would likely be looking into the afternoon sun. I believe that keeping the lights on sometimes dull the effect of glare.

And, yes, a very compelling series. I wasn't thrilled at last night's result, especially when it looked to me like the runner going to first base in the 10th inning for Rice adjusted his path to the left, in line with the ball about to be thrown, but out of the baseline.

But, since LSU got knocked out, it's on more for the entertainment value.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

airworthy

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:45 pm

They turn the lights on to remove shadows I think. Also, the lights take a lot of time to warm up, so they are prepared in case the game goes into extra innings or something. But I think all of this has to do with the lighting system all stadiums have which are one of a kind. I think they pay for lighting on a year to year basis rather than by Kw/hr.

[Edited 2003-06-23 05:47:31]

Eastern L1011

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:47 pm

I go to the CWS every year, not to follow a team, just for the experience of it. I'm not there right now because I had to return on Thursday due to work. Anyways, if you are standing at home plate batting, you are facing the northeast. Sun glare is almost always there for the fielders. I can't see how those lights would help other than the fact that they are on so they don't need to be turned on in the middle of the game, there is less drastic adjustment to be made. Plus, those lights take about 10 minutes to fire up. That is my theory anyways. If they are always on then the only thing changing the lighting is the sun and that is a gradual process so everyones eyes can adjust better.

Eastern L1011

AA727

Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:33 pm

I live in Omaha and make it out to the CWS every year. We've been lucky enough to get behind the plate seats, and even if the lights are on, the glare would still be terrible for the batter. I was wondering the exact same thing when I was there for the Standford vs. S. Carolina game. There has to be some logical reason that someone here knows!

Sean

KROC

Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:25 pm

I'm pretty sure the lights being on, has to do with the fact they do take a long time to warm up and become full strength as well as there being a less drastic adjustment needing to be made with the transition to the lights. I would almost bet a paycheck that sun glare has nothing to do with the lights being on.

Go Rice!

jcs17

Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:06 pm

I have one thing to say, "Ping!"
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!