desertjets

Random Facts And Trivia About Your Town

Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:16 pm

I was reading one of the local papers today while on dinner break at work at I found out something interesting about my town.

So what makes your town famous, or what random little tidbit can you share.

My hometown (of almost a year now) is Charlottesville, VA.

What I learned today is that it has the longest name of any city in the US. I don't believe the hyphenated names like Winston-Salem count.

It is home to three US Presidents, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe.

It is home to the oldest public university in the United States, the University of Virginia... which was largely developed by Thomas Jefferson.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

SSTjumbo

RE: Random Facts And Trivia About Your Town

Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:30 pm

Palos Park, IL, had the oldest full-time police officer and the oldest Mayor ever to serve. I believe those are correct, but don't quote me.

Cheers
-Mike
I don't know, so this is my signature.

Boeing4ever

Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:38 pm

Lake Zurich Illinois...the Apline Village. Not much to say about it. Though our new lakefront promenade is now open.  Big thumbs up

http://www.volz.org

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

Pendrilsaint

Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:05 pm

Hmmm...DesertJets, dont want to be contradictory...but I think that UNC is the oldest public university in the counry , correct me if I'm wrong. From UNC's website "The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was the nation's first state university to open its doors and the only public university to award degrees in the 18th century. "

LPL

Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:18 pm

Huyton (near Liverpool) was where footballers Steven Gerrard and Joey Barton were born.

Former prime minister Harold Wilson was an MP here in the '60's.

kimmykun

Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:31 pm

San Germán is the 2nd oldest settlement in Puerto Rico. The town was founded in 1573; 203 years before the US.

LY744

Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:42 pm

Off the top of my head, Windsor is home to the busiest border crossing in North America (and the world?), as well as being the automotive capital of Canada. Big grin

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

EGGD

Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:49 pm

I dunno...

uhh, the Castle was owned by King Henry VIII who stayed there frequently, its now the second best hotel in the world according to some American travel magazine... Uhh, the town is the same age as the Doomsday book.... It was a market town until a couple of years ago.

Matt D

Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:15 pm

I live in La Palma, which is the smallest incorporated city in Orange County: 1.5 square miles.

[Edited 2003-06-28 16:17:17]

cptkrell

Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:01 am

I'm in the "Aviation Subdivision" of Dearborn, MI, appropriately named as Henry Ford scraped a small strip here to which they would "test-fly" airplanes from what is now the FoMoCo test track across from Greenfield Village a few miles away. Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum (recently renamed "The Henry Ford") is the most-visited historical landmark in North America, and Detroit-Dearborn currently has the highest concentration of Arabic Peoples in North America.

My winter home was (briefly) the former capital of the state of Tennessee, but is much more known for the Civil War Battle of Murfreesboro, or, Battle of Stone's River, depending on whether you are of the Yank or Reb persuasion.

And...unfortunately, my original hometown of Coral Gables, FL was rumored to be one of the most racist cities in the US back in the 1940s-50s (I know I saw some BAD things there, even in the late 1950s). Regards...Jack
all best; jack

hoons90

Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:18 am

Seoul, the 4th largest city in the world, if you include the urban population.
In 1988, the Olympics were held in Seoul.
In 2002, the World Cup opening ceremony was in Seoul.
In 2001, a completely new airport, was built in Incheon, this airport serves both the Seoul and Incheon area.
Seoul has been the capital of Korea for 611 years, when Chosun was founded in 1392. It was called Hanyang, but then changed it's name to Seoul sometime in the 20th century.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

TheGov

Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:58 am

Covington, TN, where I was born and raised:

Home of Charms Candy Company, inventor of the Blow-Pop and the only place in the world where they are made.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Blow-Pop, it is a candy sucker with bubble gum in the middle.
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

seb146

Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:53 am

Last time this topic came up, I put something about Portland having the only inactive volcano within the boarders, but I was corrected. So: Yes, Mt. Tabor is an inactive volcano that sits in inner Southeast, but is not the only inactive volcano within a city limits. Also, when the Blue Line extention was built to Hillsboro, it had the deepest station stop in North America at Washington Park--something like 400 feet below the surface. Portland also has the smallest park in the world: Mill Ends Park, a mere 18 inches in diameter.

I actually live in Vancouver, the north suburb. The fort is still standing, and still has a small Army base nearby. In 1932, three Russians flew from Moscow over the North Pole and landed here at Pearson Airport. It took them over 60 hours to do it. Other than that, Vancouver is suburbia to the hilt!

GO CANUCKS!!
Life in the wall is a drag.

Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:34 am

Rochester, NY.

Famous people:

George Eastman - inventor of camera and founder of Eastman Kodak (Still headquartered in ROC to this day)

Bausch and Lomb - If you wear contacts you know what theses guys helped make!

Susan B. Anthony - Actually from Seneca Falls, NY but buried in Mt. Hope cemetery in ROC

Frederick Douglas - Abolishionist, also lived in ROC and buried in Mt. Hope cemetery.

Famous things:

SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLOUDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zwiegles hots! Genny Beer! Trash plates! PGA Championship at Oak Hill!
Come one! Come all!

And we got pretty decent places around ROC Int'l to spot too!

saintsman

Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:39 am

Southampton.

Where the Mayflower sailed to America from.

Where King Canute tried to turn back the tide. (We also have 2 high tides per day too).

us330

Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:15 am

Nobody knows for a fact who Dallas was named after (There are several possibilities, but historians have yet to pinpoint the right person)

janne

Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:21 am

How about my hometown, Stockholm, Sweden.
I believe that the angels came down from the sky in the year of 1200
and pronounced that Stockholm should be the ruler of the Universe.
Me mad? Get out of here!
/jl
p.s. It's saturday evening here in Stockholm right now and ...

desertjets

Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:08 am

Pendrilsaint: I am aware of UNC's founding date and I have heard a few stories regarding it as well. Without having looked into the history of UNC, which I may well get around to, I believe it was originally founded as a religious affiliated school... not 100% certain on that. Prior to the Dartmouth case in the USSC in 1818, the boundary between public and private was pretty blurred. UVA would certainly then win. Even then the College of William and Mary was founded in 1698, 2nd oldest institution of higher ed and oldest college in the US, but did not become part of the public system in Virginia until the early 20th century.

Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

fightingfalcon

Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:55 pm

Lake Zurich? I guess that must have been founded (do you use that word for towns) by imigrants form Switzerland, I guess. I life almost in Zurich...

Binz?

Well, it's population has grown from 600 to more than 2000 in about 10 years... Small numbers but a big increase...

We have somebody in the Guinness Book of Records for making the longest soap bubbles in the world (some meters long...).

Zurich has more things, but I don't actually life there...

Martin
Imprezas rule!!

HOMER71

Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:42 pm

Houston, TX

*Second only to NYC in the number of theatre seats (not movies, but Broadway-style, opera, ballet, etc.).

*Wells Fargo Plaza (972 ft/296 m) - Tallest curved and glass building in the world (I think it's disputable).

*Williams Tower (902 ft/275 m) - Tallest building surrounded by grass.

*Texas Medical Center - Largest medical complex in the world.

*The city has NO zoning laws
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Leezyjet

Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:56 am

Horsforth, Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK.

The guy who played Jon Luc Picard in Star Trek was born here in the Four Gables Hospital - which is now a Dr. Banardos home.

It's claimed to be the biggest village in the UK - even though it is bigger than some towns, it's still classed as a village.

Dusty Bin (from the gameshow 321) was invented/built here and now lives in the village museum.

The "32" end of LBA's runway is in Horsforth, the other end "14" and the terminal is in the next town called Yeadon.

The oldest pub is about 400+ years old and is still standing and still serving beer to this day and I believe it still has the same name !!.

James Milner - the new Leeds United star is from here and attended Horsforth School.

There is an area called "Hunger Hills" and it got the name from the deaths of some coal miners who were trapped in a collapsed coal mine a few hundred years ago and starved to death - hence the name.

Thats about all I can think of.

Smile

"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

N312RC

Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:14 pm

I live in a town west of Detroit called Novi.

It is called Novi because it originall was No. VI (number six) or the sixth stop on the train between Detroit and Lansing. The Novi Special race car is named after our town, and it was constructed here.

Facts about Detroit:

Bill Boeing was born in Detroit.

Vernors Ginger Ale was invented here.

Sander's Candy and Hot Fudge (some know it) was invented here.

Techno was invented here by some High School students in their Garage.

Detroit was the first city in the world to issue individual Telephone numbers to homes and businesses.

Ford Motor Company is based here, and the World's first assembly line started right here.

General Motors and Chrysler are also based here.

Sebastian S. Kresge founded his first S.S. Kresge store here, which later became K-Mart.

Joesph Lowthian Hudson founded Hudson's Downtown Detroit Department Store, Until its closure in 1983, it was the largest department store in the world. Hudson's later merged into Dayton Corp, and is now called Marshall Fields.

Detroit Metro Airport is a hub for Northwest and Spirit Airlines.

The first international auto tunnel ever built, connecting Detroit, MI and Windsor, ON, was built under the Detroit River.

The first international rail tunnel was built connecting the same two cities under the same river in 1879.

The nation's first regularly scheduled passenger air service started between Detroit and Grand Rapids, MI in 1926.

Motown Music, invented right here.

N/A

CMK10

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:37 pm

DesertJets,
I assume you mean the longest single word city in the US, because otherwise Truth or Consequences, New Mexico and Battle Moutain, Nevada have you beat.
Oh and my town of Rye, New York has the Rye Square House, where supposedly George Washington and Lafyette stayed as well as Rye Playland with one of the oldest wooden roller coasters, it sucks though.
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

godbless

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:37 pm

Siegen, Germany
- We have the largest round iron gascontainer in the world
- Peter Paul Rubens was born here in 1556 (or was it later?)
- We have the highest Autobahn bridge in Germany
- The famous Siegerländer Schwarzbrot is only backed here
- Siegen was the first city ever where Paul McCartney showed his paintings

Max

LPL

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:39 pm

Another pointless fact about Huyton, it was one of the stations on the first railway in the world (Liverpool - Manchester).

paulc

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:54 pm

Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Was the capital of UK before London - King Alfred burnt the cakes here  Smile
Its Norman cathedral has the longest knave in Europe
Associated with King Arthur and has a 'round table'
Oldest public school in UK whose pupils have included several politicians
Actor Colin Firth and comedian Jack Dee both went to the same school as me

English First, British Second, european Never!

goingboeing

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:56 pm

Kansas City - second only to Rome for the most fountains.

melflyer

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:01 pm

Melbourne has the biggest population of greeks anywhere in the world outside greece!! Maybe thats why it's so easy to get souvlaki's here.

Qb001

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:17 am

Montréal,

• Second largest French city in the world, after Paris;

• A vast underground city to fight cold weather. Actually, you can live your entire life (being at home, work, shop, go to theatre, to school, etc) without having to go outside;

• Contrary to popular beliefs, Montréal is one of the sunniest city in the world, having, on average, over 300 sunny days a year;

• Summer in Montréal is an uninterrupted set of world class events (Formula 1 racing, Jazz Festival, Just for Laughs, Franco-folies, ATP Tennis tournament, PGA Golf tournament, Champ Car racing, Film Festival, etc);

• Universal Exposition in 1967, Olympic Games in 1976;

• A subway system that is considered one of the most beautiful in the world (after Moscow's);

• A truly bilingual city, with a unique blend of American and European Cultures. American efficiency and European lifestyle;

• 4 top-notch universities (2 English and 2 French);

• HQ of both IATA and ICAO;

• 17 other organizations have their HQ in Montréal;

• Finally, the only city in the world where you could build an entire plane, from the landing gears to the engines, including the flight sim!

• http://www.montrealinternational.com/en/accueil/index.aspx
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

SIA fan

Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:06 am

Madison, Wis:

- Named after former US President James Madison
    - The Wisconsin state capitol has the largest dome of any state capitol in US (second only to the Capitol in Washington, DC)
    - The only state capital that was built on an isthmus (a narrow strip of land between two lakes)
    - Ranked twice as the #1 Best Place to Live for Midsize city by Money Magazine.

SQ*G BD*S

USAFHummer

Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:28 am

-ESPN's Suzy Kolber graduated from my old high school

Greg
    Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

ybacpa

Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:33 am

Central NJ = Dull, boring, uninspired names for towns. Seriously, we have a town named after the color of the dirt (Red Bank), a town that happen to be elevated (Highlands), two near the sea (Sea Bright and Ocean), one that lets you know what you wouldn't find there (Little Silver), one that is in the middle of something (Middletown), and two that I litterally scratch my head when I wonder how they came to be (Brick and Wall).

SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

qantas744

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:25 am

Feltham, London, UK

Home to Freddie Mercury whan he and his family first arrived in the UK in the 1950's.

Also home to the second highest level of railway related crime in the UK.

Matt
    you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

MSYtristar

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:37 am

A few facts about New Orleans, LA.....

1) Home to more National Historical Sights than any other city in the U.S
    2) Most of the city is BELOW sea level
    3) Called the "Crescent City" due to the curvature of the Mississippi River shaped like a Crescent moon
    4) Birthplace of Louis Armstrong
    5) Home to the longest bridge on the world
    6) Home to the largest domed stadium in the world

Steve in N.O

doug_or

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:54 am

PDX
    most strippers per capita in the US (we beat LAS and RNO!)
    When in doubt, one B pump off

usair1489

Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:24 pm

We're named after dirt (Marlton).
    Zinger Aviation Delta Oscar Tango Charlie Oscar Mike

Marcus

Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:00 am

Tijuana.........home town

1.- World's bussiest border crossing stations (car and pedestrians)

2.- TV manufacturing capital of the world

3.- "Compañia Aeronautica de Baja California" built the first plane in Latin America

4.- Highest rate of home ownership from both sides of the US/Mexico border

5.- Average city growth......3 blocks per day!
    Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

LOT767-300ER

Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:03 am

Schaumburg, Illinois

-First accredited police agency in Illinois

-Home of Motorola Corporation

elwood64151

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:15 am

Kansas City, MO

Home of the restaurant this is, according to the New Yorker magazine, "Simply the best restaurant in the world. Period."

Arthur Bryants. I'm told I should eat there once, instead of just eating their leftovers, which are extremely good. Of course, I eat at Wabash Barbecue & Grill in Excelsior Springs, MO, and is certainly excellent food, the best I've ever tasted.
    Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

pacificjourney

Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:26 pm

KC, MO "Simply the best restaurant in the world. Period."

That's a hell of a claim. What's the big deal about this place ?
    " Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

AOMlover

Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:02 pm

Toulon
    The biggets French military harbour, and the sunniest French city (it almost NEVER rains). Many beautiful beachs...
    About 160 000 persons live there, but what makes this city REALLY SPECIAL is the fact that I live there  Wink/being sarcastic

http://www.toulon.com/

Gunships

Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:09 pm

Although I don't live there anymore, my hometown of Allentown, PA was where the Colonists hid the Liberty Bell when the British were advancing on Philadelphia during the Revolutionary War in the 1700's.

TriStar500

Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:19 pm

My former hometown and birthplace (20.000 inhabitants) has the oldest prestressed concrete bridge in the world (I can almost hear y'all gasp). It was built in the mid-Thirties in order to guide a local road across the (then) newly-built Autobahn, which connected the Ruhr Valley and Berlin.

I guess construction engineer will get all excited about this little tidbit. Big grin
    Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

RayChuang

Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:27 pm

Mountain View, California:

1. The heart of the Internet revolution: Netscape and Sun Microsystems started here. Also, a major portion of the 3-D computer graphics revolution started here with SGI in the early 1980's.

2. The home of Moffett Federal Airfield, formerly Moffett Naval Air Station. NASA's Ames Research Center is located here.

3. Historically, Mountain View was a major stop on the San Francisco to San Jose stagecoach service before the railroads arrived.

4. The city just celebrated its 100th anniversary.  Smile

Marcus

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:08 am

Almost forgot............

Tijuana

1.- Birthplace of the Caesar Salad
    2.- Birthplace of the Margarita

Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

N863DA

Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:14 am

Port St Joe, FL:

The place where the Florida Constitution was signed, and the location of the State Capitol until a nasty bout of Yellow Fever, along with a hurricane, completely wiped out the town in the early 1800s.

The actual beach on which I live (a few miles from Port St Joe) was recently rated "America's most beautiful beach" - and with good reason.

Fortunately, we're back, although probably not, "better than ever."

Incidentally, a few miles down the road is Apalachicola - the place where Air Conditioning is said to have been invented, by John Gorrie (an Apalachicola native).

Lots of useless trivia.

N 8 6 3 D A

IMissPiedmont

Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:57 pm

The town nearest me has something no other can, or will, ever have. That being a Titan II missle silo you can go into.

Much more if you care to look, but most people don't.
    The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

hartsfieldboy

Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:21 am

I have two hometowns.

Atlanta:
    -Coca-cola invented here
    -The first atrium hotel in the world (Grand Hyatt, downtown)
    -First revolving restaurant (Polaris, on top of the Grand Hyatt)
    -World's busiest passenger airport
    -MARTA is the ninth largest public transit system in the country
    -Frederick Olmsted, designer of Central Park in NYC, also designed several beautiful l neighborhoods and parks for the city, and his last design was the Druid Hills neighborhood
    -Has more strip clubs per capita than any other city in the US

Sao Paulo:
    -Third largest city in the world
    -Busiest Metro system based on passengers per km
    -The bus system carries more than 2.5 billion people per year
    -Business Center for South America

RayPettit

Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:52 am

Woking, Surrey, England

Originally sited about two or three miles south, but a huge cemetry was built to accommodate the dead from London and these bodies were transported by train. When it was found that the cemetry company had bought too much land, they sold it off and the newly sited Woking (population 90,000) grew up.

It has the first mosque ever built in the UK, still in daily use.

Famous people from here include writer George Bernard Shaw, bands Status Quo and The Jam, as well as comedian Harry Hill. HG Wells lived here for a few years, the Spice Girls had their first auditions here, actor Peter Davidson went to school right across the road from where I'm typing this, and rock stars Eric Clapton and Peter Gabriel grew up in villages just outside town.

Finally, in our town centre we not only have a scuplture of a Martian (as in "The War of the Worlds") but also the last RAF Hunter built stands on a pole outside the local bowling alley!

Ray

DutchWings

Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:55 am

Hilversum, Noord-Holland, Netherlands...
    It's where all the television stations of the Netherlands are located, and the city where Pim Fortuyn was shot dead :-(