johnboy

Strom Thurmond: Keep It On The Down Low

Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:57 am

Good old Strom...saint for "taking care of things," or sinner?

http://www.blackcommentator.org/21_re_print_pr.html

Hmm...I pick sinner!

BlatantEcho

RE: Strom Thurmond: Keep It On The Down Low

Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:54 am

that was one of the most poorly written articles I've read in a long time.

It's just a string of speculation, nothing but claims based on guesses about intentions.

George
They're not handing trophies out today

AWspicious

Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:46 am

I think it's time to let the healing process begin.

As a side note: I don't have time to get all philosophical, but, I feel the man may have had a point.... back in the day. That point may not have been morally sound, but, it was logical.
People should not be legislated by law to share the social aspects of their lives with things they consider to be objectionable. If I don't like disco I shouldn't be forced to attend a discotheque, but if I like rock, I will expect events geared towards rock music and attend rock concerts. My point is, on the issue of segregation, logic would dictate there should be the same infrastructure for blacks as there is for whites. Separate, but equal amenities built and maintained by the respectable demographics.
You want segregation? Then, do it properly... or shut the hell up.

A.W.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

B747-437B

Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:11 am

If I don't like disco I shouldn't be forced to attend a discotheque, but if I like rock, I will expect events geared towards rock music and attend rock concerts

The issue with segregation was not that they forced you to go to the discotheque, but rather that they didn't allow the other rock fans to attend rock concerts simply because of the color of their skin.

That IMHO, is pretty darn stupid from both a moral and practical standpoint.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

AWspicious

Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:48 am

"The issue with segregation was not that they forced you to go to the discotheque, but rather that they didn't allow the other rock fans to attend rock concerts simply because of the color of their skin."

Good point, too.
Anyway, whoever said life would be easy, eh.... or straight forward, for that matter.

A.W.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!