jhooper

Man Gets Life In Prison For Spitting On Cop

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:39 pm

OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) -- An Oklahoma man arrested on suspicion of beating his wife faced year in prison and a fine. But when he spit in an arresting officer's face, he got a life sentence instead, officials said Wednesday.

John Carl Marquez, 36, was convicted of "placing bodily fluid upon a government employee," a felony that can carry a life sentence because of the possibility of transmitting a potentially deadly disease.

State judge April Sellers White sentenced Marquez this week even though Marquez and the officer tested negative for any communicable disease.

Marquez also was convicted of assaulting a police officer, and a jury recommended the maximum sentence because he had previous convictions.

Marquez, arrested several months ago, could have received one year in prison and a $3,000 fine for wife beating, according to the Creek County court clerk's office.

His lawyers said they plan to appeal.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

NWA742

RE: Man Gets Life In Prison For Spitting On Cop

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:42 pm

"placing bodily fluid upon a government employee," a felony that can carry a life sentence because of the possibility of transmitting a potentially deadly disease.

The law's the law, and he gets what he deserves.

Let the asshole rot in jail for all I care.  Insane

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

flyingbronco05

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:45 pm

I highly doubt it's even legal to get life in prison for spitting on the cop.

To me, it seems like something is missing.

FB05

I am glad he got punished for what he did.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

Floris

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:53 pm

This doesn't make sense. I agree, something must be missing, or you can all spit in my face  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

desertjets

Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:01 pm

The thing that bugs me about this case, is that the penalty for spitting on a cop once, in an isolated incident is FAR greater than the assault on his wife. Which was probably not a one time isolated incident.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

hartsfieldboy

Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:14 pm

What makes a pussy cop, or any government employee, so special that if they are spit upon, the penalty is life? While the law is totally stupid, why isn't there a life sentence for spitting on a civilian?

AWspicious

Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:45 pm

I share similar sentiments as DesertJets and Hartsfieldboy - The lop-sided sentencing is disgraceful.

a.w.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

jwenting

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:33 pm

I guess the judge didn't agree with the maximum sentence he could pass on the main crimes in the case and decided to invoke an obscure law in order to get the sentence he wanted.

Excellent judgement.

And might lead some people to be more courteous to cops, something that's sorely needed from reading threads here about encounters people have with them...
I wish I were flying

L-188

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:39 pm

Doesn't Oklahoma have a three strikes law?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

AWspicious

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:50 pm

Good point. I don't know. Does it?

a.w.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

9V-SVA

Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:02 pm

The law is the law, granted, but this is insane, just for spitting on a cop he goes to prison for life, there is ABSOLUTELY no logic in this AT ALL.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

sebolino

Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:14 pm

This is stupid. As far as I know, the USA aren't an islamic republic. One doesn't spend a life in prison for such a minor thing (I hope).

And then you always find moralists to say they're glad, the law's the law, blabla ...

gotAirbus

Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:36 pm

Say no more...

Here comes the "Fast-food restaurants are bad" lawsuits.

Uh...question, not criticism: Why not check to see whether the "government employee" actually contracted any disease before giving him life imprisonment??

(gotAirbus?)
(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

Udo

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:38 pm

Why don't they sit him on the electric chair or send him into the gas chamber? Damn, it's too liberal out there!  Pissed

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

HOMER71

Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:13 pm

What's wrong with spitting on an authority figure?

Sincerely,

Roberto Alomar
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Alpha 1

Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:46 pm

LIFE IN PRISON, for spitting? What kind of over-reaction is that.

And NWA742, you REALLY want your tax money going to support the imprisonment of this person FOR LIFE-FOR SPITTING.

Obviously, he had no disease which to transmit to the officer, so why the hell over-react like this. Is this the kind of judges we get in the southwest and the south, who do garbage like this?

I can see this one being overturned by an appeals court that lives in the real world, unlike this idiot judge.

Those of you who support such luacy are so far removed from reality, that it's not even funny. What a sad day for the criminal justice system, when this can happen.

aloges

Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:49 pm

He could have infected the policeman: He didn't! There's even a difference between murder and attempted murder, isn't it?

And why are some folks happy to see their tax dollars wasted on some bloke's state pen accomodation?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

KROC

Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:55 pm

Well done Homer71, lol.

You all are missing the point. This man had previous convictions, he had done time in the joint as well. Not to mention he seems to make a hobby of kicking his wife's ass (what a guy he is). That is why with the spitting on a cop, he was recommended for the maximum punishment.

This guy just did not up and hock a lugie on a cop, all while having a clean record and such.....Its not as cut and dry as many of you would like it to me. Life for spitting on a cop...absured, life for spitting on a cop, having a previous record, with previous jail time and fines, and for being a wife beater.....let this fucker rot.

Alpha 1

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:04 pm

KROC, it's easy to say "let him rot", simply because he's not up for sainthood, but there has to be some common sense in this process, and there's evidently none. Putting someone in prison for LIFE, should be for extremely serious offenses, and extremely serious repeat offenses-like murder, not for some two-bit felon like this guy. We don't need to be filling up our prisons for a lifetime with the likes of this man. This is just insanity, pure and simple, levied by a judge who obviously doesn't have a clue what she's doing.

Had he tested positive for a communicable disease, then I can see throwing the book at him, especially if it threatened the officers life. It didn't, and THAT is what makes this sentence bullshit. He'll win on appeal, then he'll sue the state of Oklahoma for this nonsense, and, presto, thanks to this asshole judge, we'll have created another wealthy individual.

Nice job, Judge White. Way to fuck it up, just to show the people in Oklahoma that you're a woman with balls. Maybe she can volunteer for these she-male experiment currently going on.

KROC

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:14 pm

So beating one's wife (repeatedly) is not a serious offense? Way to bring us back to the stoneage Alpha 1.

sebolino

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:19 pm

So beating one's wife (repeatedly) is not a serious offense? Way to bring us back to the stoneage Alpha 1

1) He was not judged for that, why are you using that ?
2) You don't get a life in prison for such kind of things, I can't believe it.

American_4275

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:25 pm

KROC,
Are you telling me that him spitting on a police officer was proper justification for him spending the rest of his life in jail? Yes, it sucks that he's a wife beater and has had previous convictions - he's a sleezeball. However, like the article said, he could have faced ONE YEAR in jail for the wife beating. Going from one year in jail to LIFE because of saliva is ABSURD. It's the principle of the matter, really, and not the reality of it that makes this so appalling.

American_4275

KROC

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:32 pm

Sebolino, I'ma break it down, just for you. Watch and learn.....

1.) An Oklahoma man arrested on suspicion of beating his wife faced year in prison and a fine
2.) Marquez also was convicted of assaulting a police officer
3.) But when he spit in an arresting officer's face, he got a life sentence instead

The maximum fine for #3 wsa levied, in addition with the first 2 crimes, and in looking at his prior record, he is a known criminal. Just because something happened say a year ago that was a crime, does not mean it is gone forever. Hence the 3 strikes policy and such.

JetService

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:52 pm

You don't get life in prison for spitting on a cop; let's ge that straight. KROC was right in sorting this out. The judge did not have saliva in mind when sentencing this dirtbag. She had all his priors and a bloody wife* on her mind. The spitting sentence was just a way to get him out of society because the wife-beating laws are apparently inadaquate. She 'Al Caponed' his ass.

*Translation for UK folks - 'a bloody bloody wife'
"Shaddap you!"

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:33 am

Again, I find it amazing anyone can justify life in prison for what are, relatively, minor offenses. This is typical over-reaction on the part of some zealots in our judicial system, looking to score political brownie points with the naive of our society, who thinks everyone like this guy should just be locked up.

It's a sad indictment on our society when we feel the need to lock up someone like this, who is no saint, obviously, but hasn't committed any major offense, simply because people in society don't want to be bothered.

I think you'll see this idiocy overturned in another court. And while we're on the side subject, I'm surprised that no one has challenged the constitutionality on the "three strikes" law. I don't know how that would play out, but I'm surprised it hasn't happened.

KROC

Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:49 am

Alpha 1, I find it amazing that you think beating your freakin' wife is a MINOR offense. Get a clue.

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:51 am

KROC, put against capital muder, or 1st Degree murder, or other offenses that normally carry a life sentence or worse, it is a minor offense, and should not add up to a life sentence. Get a clue, my friend.

KROC

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:07 am

Is that what the defense should be for the next guy who is arrested for beating his wife for the upteenth time? "Well gee officer, sure I beat her ass, split her dome wide open, but I didn't kill her". "Oh, well in that case, let me slap your hand, and you can go home."

Yeah, go home so he can beat his wife some more. Again Well Done Alpha 1. You are a perfect example of why there are shelters for abused women in this country and they are usually over crowded.

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:27 am

Again, KROC, I'm not trying to minimize domestic violence in this case. But for God's sake, this guy DOES NOT deserve life in prison!

And you can blame me if you want for the crowded shelters. I would never beat my wife, so that's a lost cause there, my friend.

Again, punish the guy, but the punishment should be APPROPRIATE punishment. Not a slap on the wrist, but certainly not spending life behind bars, either.

I've been talking a lot about extremism on both sides of the political spectrum in this country, and around the world, a lot lately, and, in my mind, this is such an extremism. On the other side, you have people who only want to rehabilitate criminals, or give them petty little sentences, as seems to be the rage in Europe these days. Neither works. Again, it should be firm, solid, APPROPRIATE punishment. I just think, in this case, life in prison is an over-reaction.

KROC

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:29 am

Alpha 1. Asked an abused wife what the appropriate punishment should be.

Maybe ask a cop who was assulted for doing his job waht the appropriate punishment would be.

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:34 am

KROC, if EITHER said life in prison, they're nuts. Especially the police officer.

JetService

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:46 am

It all depends on the severity of the beatings and the method used to 'place bodily fluid' on a cop. The article doesn't mention the severity of the beating (was it a slap or a caved in skull from a crowbar?). Granted spitting doesn't warrant a life sentence (6 months at the most), but I think that maximum sentence (life) of this vague charge was exploited in this case in an effort to inflict a greater punishment for the other crimes that the judge felt had inadequate sentences.
"Shaddap you!"

EA CO AS

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:52 am

The law is the law, granted, but this is insane, just for spitting on a cop he goes to prison for life, there is ABSOLUTELY no logic in this AT ALL.

9V-SVA-

Yeah, he probably should have just been caned instead, right?  Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:58 am

..but I think that maximum sentence (life) of this vague charge was exploited in this case in an effort to inflict a greater punishment for the other crimes that the judge felt had inadequate sentences.

The judge's job is not to inflict great punishment, JetService, but to render a setence that does justice. This doesn't do that. If that's what she did, the, in my view, she overstepped her boundaries in sentencing this man, and overstepped her responsibilities to all parties involved.

Again, I'm not for letting a criminal off, but again, I think this goes way beyond what is reasonable and appropriated, and I'm pretty sure such an over-zealous sentence will be oveturned or reduced in an appeals court.

JetService

Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:18 am

Alpha 1, I understand your point of view and I'm not saying this isn't extreme. I don't know the circumstances of the beatings and priors (which is the real issue). I don't think the judge did anything illegal because the sentence was consistent with what's legislated (common-sense notwithstanding). So yes, this may be extreme, but I disagree that the judge overstepped boundaries. Perhaps the boundaries were just too big in this case and the max sentence is just too high for that crime. I think that's a fair argument. But as for judges exploiting a max for an unrelated charge to punish for something else, I have no problem with that. As an example, say a guy who has a history of drunk driving and even injuring someone gets his fifth DUI. But unfortunetly, the evidence is weak in this one because the officer who tested him wasn't properly certified. The state sees this and decides plea down to a reckless driving charge. Now if you or I were pulled over for reckless driving, we'd get points on our license, a fine and maybe driving classes. But, if I were the judge here, I would sentence this guy to the max punishment for a reckless driving charge which in my state is 6 months in prison (believe it or not, its a Class B misdemeanor). People who didn't know the circumstances would go ape at the idea of six-months in prison for reckless-driving. I know this scenerio isn't nearly as extreme, but do you at least agree with that fundamental principle of a judge doing that in this hypothetical case?
"Shaddap you!"

KROC

Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:29 am

Alpha 1, you clearly have never spoken to an abused wife, nor do you understand what happens to a spouse that is abused in this way. Yeah, one is nuts for saying their sabusive spouse does not deserve life......Not quite.

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:43 am

Anyone who beats their wife DESERVES to rot in prison! Bubba will LOVE having him as a roomate. I agree, the F****R got what he deserved!

cptkrell

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:52 am

Well, "they" gave Al Capone a big-timer on income tax evasion instead of multiple murder charges. Past records always (and) should be one of the factors to be considered...Jack
all best; jack

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:57 am

Wrong, Jack. If you're being charged with a specific crime, I don't see how a judge has the right or the ability to pass a sentence on things not related to that charge. I think that's another reason you'll see this sentence thrown out, or, more likely, reduced by an Appellate court, because the defendant was being punished for somthing other than the charges he was up on.

cptkrell

Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:57 am

Alpha1, I hope this does not come thru as a "dual reply"...I lost connection in prev. reply. I do not disagree with you that this sentence will probably be overturned. I do, however, stand by my thinking that previous "performances" by a convicted indivividual would and should weigh in the judge(s) decision as per penalty, even if the particular charge is not specifically related to previous convictions. There should, of course, be some thread between past and current convictions in regard to the severity of the crime. Kind regards...Jack
all best; jack

EGGD

Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:04 am

lol I thought this was tongue in cheek humour, oh well  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

JetService

Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:54 am

Of course prior crimes should factor into sentences, just as a lack of prior crimes should factor in on the side of leniency (suspending the prison term). As long as the sentence meets the min & max of the class of crime for the charge being presented.
"Shaddap you!"

Marcus

Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:09 am

If he had had enough money to hire a good enough lawyer to get him off the hook......then he would be walking the streets......just like this guy......

Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

cptkrell

Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:26 am

Marcus...why would you post a mugshot of Jesse Jackson? ...Jack
all best; jack

kevi747

Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:20 am

This is so stupid and embarrassing. America must seem like such a joke to the rest of the world.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

UN_B732

Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:35 am

Life for spitting on a police officer!
Horrible.
-UN
What now?

jhooper

Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:08 am

Life in prison, IMO, is cruel and unusual punishment in this case, and thus violates the constitution. Spitting on a cop should carry maybe a maximum 5 year sentence, but that's even pushing the rule of reason in my book.

Under the 3 strikes law, doesn't one have to commit 3 felonies? As far as I know, the beating charges were misdemeanors.

It makes me sick that killers can sometimes get off with a 10yr+- sentence, and this guy gets life.

[Edited 2003-07-04 03:33:37]
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

JetService

Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:42 am

Jhopper, even certain felonies are exempt from the three stikes law. I think the first two have to be violent felonies while the third is any. Also, I think whether domestic battery is a misdemeanor or felony depends on the circumstances and can be either (and even changed during judgement).
"Shaddap you!"

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:21 pm

Whatever our point of view on this one, I think there's a terrific chance this idiotic sentence will be reduced on appeal. I don't think he'll be let off without a appropriate penalty, but life in prison will be thrown out.

I've been reaming the judge, but once again, we have a jury that doesn't seem to have a freaking clue about justice, and they deserve to be reamed up the caboose, at least in words. They're as big a disgrace as the judge who allowed this ridiculous sentence to stand.

Just wondering, the name Marquez sounds Hispanic. That wouldn't have had a bearing on this case, perhaps?

JetService

Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:37 pm

Alpha 1, I'd wager the fact that the guy is a convicted rapist, broke the woman's arm, then resisted by spitting-on and biting the cop while in custody had more bearing than his name.
"Shaddap you!"