keesje

Saudis To Host Human-rights Conference

Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:34 pm

Despite its regard by Western nations as one of the world's most repressive regimes, Saudi Arabia is preparing to host its first international conference on human rights this fall, promoting Islam as a "religion of peace."

With a theme of "human rights at the time of peace and war," the conference will "shed light on the Islamic approach toward human rights," according to the Arab News, a government-approved daily.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33396

May I propose some starting points
Idi Amin, women rights, religious police, OBL support, public amputations of hands and feet, flogging ; 2600 lashes to be carried out in fifty equal sessions, etc ...

Member of coalition of the willing, when you have friends like this who needs ...
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Andreas

RE: Saudis To Host Human-rights Conference

Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:40 pm

Don't forget the oh-so-popular public amputation of heads!!!

...and the fact that most Saudi citizens are poor despite the largest oil reserves in the world...

...and the fact that even the Arabian neighbours of S.A. believe the house of Fahd is the most corrupt ruling dynasty!!...

...and the fact that the members of the Fahd family do see themselves as the keepers of the Islamic faith and all of its rules...but live a life that has nothing to do with Islamic rules...

I guess we could go on and on and on....
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

khi747

Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:35 am

The Royal Family , Al-Saud's, named the country after them. Saudi Arabia has gone from one of the highest, if not the highest per capita incomes in the worlds during late 70's early 80's of around $28,000 to less then $10,000 now....why that has happened, as Andreas said, we can go on and on but the point being the people of Saudi are sick and tired of this. I know many Saudi's and they all despize their government, the government that has done very little for the people but ALOT for itself...Abdallah next in line to ailing Fahd is much better in many ways but he is also very old...i am hoping for the best in the years to come

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:37 am

Having the Saudi's host a conference on human rights is like having North Korea hold a symposium on the merits of democratically elected government.  Smile

jaysit

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:07 am

This is a joke, right?

So who are the invitees to this "human-rights conference?"

The Taliban? Libya? North Korea? Sudan? Zimbabwe? John Ashcroft?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

cptkrell

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:44 am

I thought Cuba was going to do the human rights deal this time around. Didn't Danny Glover say so on "Entertainment Tonight"? ...Jack
all best; jack

srbmod

Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:49 am

Saudi Arabia hosting a Human Rights Conference is like the US hosting a Conference on Civil Liberties.

cptkrell

Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:04 am

Sounds like Srbmod got those leaflets dropped by the black helicopter telling him not to reply to any forums on A.net. Jack
all best; jack

srbmod

Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:11 am

What black helicopters? There are no black helicopters.

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:36 pm

2600 lashes?

Blimey thats a bit harsh! Dont they do it in public as well? Can you imagine tunign in to CNN and watching some unfortunate getting whipped with a very long stick? Harsh.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

crewchief32

Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:58 pm

"....and watching some unfortunate.."

When someone is getting 2600 lashes he surely did something to deserve it!!!

I really wish we would have some of their laws here in Germany.
It really pisses me off when I see how they care more of the criminals these days than the victims.
Everytime they catch a child molester or someone who has raped and/or murdered other people the first thing these bastards do is to scream that they deserve a fair trial, had a awful childhood or need first class psyochological help, bla bla bla.....only to continue with their crimes when they have been released as "cured"!!!!

Screw it, once they have bee proven guilty off goes the head, live & in color on every TV-channel. That would reduce the crime rate quite a lot, that`s for sure!

CC32

keesje

Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:22 am

crewchief32, I propose you go to Riad and visit chopchop square.
For hands they use a short sharp knife first & then break it off.

When coming back you can advise the governement on how you think it should be done in the future.

You should have lived 300 yrs ago.. an eye for an eye ..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Andreas

Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:02 pm

Torsten, my brother worked in Riyadh for about 2 years. Shortly after he arrived there, he was taken to watch a public execution. Before that, he did have views on capital punishment just like you...afterwards he was so shocked, he now opposes this archaic leftover from the dark ages wherever it happens, just like myself!

Keesje: He can advise our government as long as he cares to: Capital punishment is gone in Germany since 1949 via constitution and even public polls over the last decades indicate, that a very large majority of the German people do not want it back, not even in the aftermath of 9/11!! (Not that it would help them, you'd need a change of constitution, and you to reach that, you's need a majority you'll never get)

[Edited 2003-07-07 09:33:00]
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

airmale

Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:26 pm

So the "India recognises Tibet as part of China" thread was deleted but this one is okay to stay?????
.....up there with the best!

jaysit

Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:16 am

Not sure why India's recognition of Tibet was deleted. After all, it is a fact.

But I'm not sure what relevance that has with respect to a prevailing discussion on the absurdity of Saudi Arabia's sponsorship of a human rights conference. Exactly what human rights does Saudi Arabia respect other than the right for its royalty to make ad hoc purchases of private wide-bodied aircraft?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

aloges

Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:28 am

Maybe they're going to peek through the keyhole and learn about "granting human rights"!

[Edited 2003-07-07 18:29:37]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

AerLingus

Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:59 am

No offense against the people of Saudi Arabia themselves, but isn't this a little like having a beauty pagent in Nigeria? Oh, wait!

Who keeps arranging all of these international events? I'm really starting to question their intelligence. Human rights conference in Saudi Arabia? Hopefully this will help to promote greater knowledge of Saudi Arabia's lack thereof.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!