sleekjet

Computer Question

Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:19 am

A new Dell computer just arrived at my house. How do I save and transfer everything that is in the "My Documents" area?
II Cor. 4:17-18

bobrayner

RE: Computer Question

Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:24 am

There are a zillion possible answers.
How much data is there? and what OS is on each PC?

1. Can you burn it onto CD/DVD?

2. Can you connect the two PCs with a network? (either through a cheap switch, or using a crossover cable)

3. Do you have access to a laplink cable, or null modem cable, or host-to-host USB cable, or similar?

If none of those, then I would prefer to swap the HDD across and copy files locally. However, this might involve breaking a waranty seal, so you might not be too keen on it.
Cunning linguist

sleekjet

Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:30 am

Old one: W98 New one: WXP
Don't know how much data...how do I find out? There are dozens of documents and a couple of hundred photos.
Can these be saved to a CD?
#2 and #3 - Nope

bobrayner

Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:42 am

To find out the size:

Alternate-click on the folder you're interested in, and choose Properties. The Properties box should tell you.

(Or you can go to the parent folder in Explorer, then change to detail view - the size should be listed in the right-hand pane)

Check to see if data is stored anywhere else. I'd recommend looking at the size of the whole profile, which will also include anything on your desktop &c.

Some errant applications might store your data elsewhere - for instance, the software you use to pull photos off a digital camera could try hiding "albums" somewhere deep in C:Program Files.

Can these be saved to a CD?
If you have a CD writer, and if no individual item is *really* big, it should be easy.
Cunning linguist

sleekjet

Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:53 am

I have 166 KB in that file. And pardon my ignorance, but I don't know if I have a CD writer or not.

desertjets

Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:11 am

Your drive should say something like "CD rewritable" or "CD-RW" on the faceplate. It seems given what you have described to have more than just 166kb of data to transfer.

Do you have kids, kids who are pretty computer savy. If you can answer yes to both questions you might want to let them transfer your files.

But, let's try this again. Go to your desktop, click on "my computer", click on "C:", then find the "My Documents" folder and right-click on that. You should get a little menu that pops up... go ahead and select "properties" and that should bring up a dialogue box. Just look for the line that says "Size"... mine happens to say 2.98GB. You'd need about 6 CDs to copy all of that. If you really just have 166kb, then a floppy disk will work fine.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia