tranceport

Trance Music

Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:33 pm

I'd be interested in hearing from other peeps here who are into trance music. I've recently discovered the genre along with progressive house and have been amazed at what I've found.

Anybody have recommendations for artists/albums for my collection? Although I started with insta-feel-good euro trance and still enjoy it, I've found it gets pretty cheesy after a while, i.e. the new Ministry of Sound Ibiza: The Annual releases. Too much anthemic stuff is no good.

And for the hot heads on here who aren't in the know...no, I'm not trashing European music....it's just a particular subgenre. In fact, I bow in awe before the guys in England, The Netherlands, Germany, and wherever else who are putting out a lot of this stuff I'm talking about.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of these wannabe elitist technofiles who calls anything beyond minimalistic beats 'commercial cheese.' For me, melody is the driving force behind music and what makes it come alive. I find that I'm preferring the darker, deeper trance and progressive house.

I've been working my way through some of the earlier stuff by DJ Tiesto and Oakenfold for trance such as the In Search of Sunrise series and Tranceport. I've been pretty much blown away by Sasha & Digweed in the Northern Exposure albums for progressive house. The Majik series by DJ Tiesto has also been great for bangin' trance.

Dave Seaman, i.e. Global Underground: Melbourne and Nick Warren Global Underground: Reykjavik and Back to Mine are the most recent additions to my collection, and the sounds are pretty incredible as well. Anyone have anything good to say about the other Global Underground releases?

I've been told trance is largely dead in the U.K. because dance music has been around there so long that it's no longer underground but rather the establishment. Apparently it still has an underground feel in many other parts of the globe. I'd love to hear what the dance/music scene is like in your area from you guys.

Anyone know of any music forums or forums for electronica? I'd love to hear about it.

I know there's at least one of ya out there. Any others?

aa61hvy

RE: Trance Music

Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:44 pm

I don't have time right now to write a lot, but anything by Oakenfold and Paul Van Dyk is real good. I will write more after work. There are a couple guys on here that really dig trance, they will post soon.
Go big or go home

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:57 pm

Funky House is where its at right now, and for me, a MASSIVE dance music fan, and DJ, its the most fun you can have with your clothes on or off. Erick Morillo, and the Subliminal Label, with friends Jose Nunez, Harry " Choo Choo" Romero and Richard F is pretty damn good. Other good labels to check out would be Defected, with Kings of Tomorrow supremo Sandy Rivera, and also Bob Sinclar. Deep dish were quite good when they were signed to Deconstruction (Paul Oakenfold's Label). Underwater is another great label, and they keep releasing the finest in house tomfoolery on their Underwater sessions with Mutiny and Darren Emerson - truly very good stuff. The best for house tunes on CD is without a doubt the Hed-Kandi series, for people who love their house, and it encompasses all the genre, from funky disco to chilled beats, and their "Back to Love" set is particularly good.

As far as trance is concerned, I would be inclined to say that the best in Trance can be found anywhere you see the name Gatecrasher – the Sheffield superclub. Admittedly it had its heyday about three years ago, but there’s some really good trance around at the moment, and it certainly not dead. Oakenfold has been doing other stuff, and in truth all the best most truly awesome trance tunes (and there have been a multitude) all arrived in the mid to late 90’s.

Ayla- Ayla, (Positiva) is probably the finest trance tune of all time, though leave the early 2000 mixes by Verracocha and Taucher alone (good though they are), and go for the Original mix if you can. The best Trance compilation I have ever bought is the soundtrack to the movie “Kevin and Perry Go Large” – odd as it may sound – which is absolutely storming and really well mixed too – plenty of anthems and a good tempo throughout. Try and get hold of it its excellent. Other great trance tunes you may not have heard are “Barthez – Infected”(London Records I think), “Sil- Windows” (Hooj Choons) and a massive great list that I cant be arsed to write, just the two I’ve had in my head this afternoon. If you want, I can sell or copy all my older trance stuff for you – always good to encourage more Dance Music across the pond – you guys have some of the best DJ’s but you don’t realize!

Rgds,

CM
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

mika

Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:01 pm

Like AA61 said, you should go with anything PVD (Paul Van Dyk) if you like trance. He has made some not so good (certainly not bad but no THAT good) sets but overall he's a b*tching trance DJ.

Tiësto is also one of my personal favourites but you seem to be familiar with him already. Make sure to check out "flight 643" and the Tiësto remix of Paul Oakenfold's "Southern Sun".

For some good house i'd recommend Carl Cox.

And, for the grane finale, you absolutely HAVE TO check out this website. By not doing that you are missing out. That's all i can say. The majority of my playlist is downloaded from that site.

http://www.djmixes2k.com/index2.php

The site holds the absolute elite in Live sets from around the world and is updated several times a week with new sets. Both Trance and House. I can not stress this enough, CHECK OUT THE SITE AND DOWNLOAD SOME SETS!. You won't regret it.

Leezyjet

Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:07 pm

I was out in Club La Vela in Panama City Beach earlier on in the year.

I though that we were in luck when I saw on their website that they have a UK dance room, but when my mate and I found it, they were playing more hip-hop kind of stuff and passing it off as UK dance music which was a huge disapointment.

Where are the best places to go in the US for dance music ?. Is there anywhere in NYC ?. I'm coming back over later in the year to go out on the town in NYC -so any suggestions would be great.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:18 pm

Leezy -

Try the Tunnel or Twilo mate. Best clubbing in the world if you like cool, vocal, soulful banging house, live percussion, and a hard edge in one room, and a funky jazzy edge in the other. Beware the pills are expensive, and well dodgy to buy over there so go careful if thats your thing, but i cant reccomend it enough. Junior Vaquez, Danny Tenaglia, Pete Tong, Roger Sanchez, Erick Morillo, Norman Jay - all are ressies there or there abouts, so you are guaranteed a top night out. Im off there myself in October for a big night out so if you are over same time let me know.

Rgds,

CM
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

tranceport

Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:13 am

Hi guys....if this is all showing up in triplicate or whatever, it's because I'm having trouble posting. Anyway, thanks for your replies. These are the sort of responses I was hoping to receive. I'm running out the door for weekend holiday, but I'll post more when I get back. CHRISBA777ER, I'll definitely hit ya up to see what ya have to offer. Thanks for the house recommendations. I'm interested to check some of 'em out, for sure. Mika, thanks for the link to the website. I'll be sure to check it out.

Tiësto is also one of my personal favourites but you seem to be familiar with him already. Make sure to check out "flight 643" and the Tiësto remix of Paul Oakenfold's "Southern Sun".

The Tiësto remix of Paul Oakenfold's Southern Sun......ahhhhhh......what more to say. That mix has to be one of the most uplifting, beautiful pieces of work I've ever heard. It sends me into orbit every time I listen to it, especially if it's the peak of a set.

Funky House is where its at right now, and for me, a MASSIVE dance music fan, and DJ, its the most fun you can have with your clothes on or off.

That's the general sort of response I've received from more than a few people. What makes where it's at right now? In all seriousness, is it a matter of people "maturing" and "evolving" their tastes through repeated listening of electronica, or is it a matter of "they" deciding what is hot so everyone jumps on the band wagon? I agree with you though. Funky house is a lot of fun.

I've noticed this with electroclash. I have friends who live, breathe and sleep electroclash. Try as I might and as much as I listen, it's kind of cool, but I can't see what they get out of it. Obviously tastes must change as you get more and more into electronica because these guys were die hard progressive house/trance fans. It's either that or they get off on feeling like they're on the cutting edge because they're into some 'new' genre of music that gives them an alternative or underground mystique to their otherwise retail lives.

I've wondered about this because of all the music reviews I've ever read, the dance music genre is one of the few where I'll actually see 5 star reviews of albums where the reviewer applauds the set but warns that it would not be enjoyed by newbies and should only be purchased by mature electronica fans. That's pretty interesting to me.

[Edited 2003-07-11 23:23:28]

[Edited 2003-07-11 23:44:08]

mika

Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:50 am

It's nice having some more Trance/House music fans in here, the more the merrier! Welcome to the Non-Av forum Tranceport, i noticed that you'r new around here.

Speaking about the site i mentioned above, i just downloaded a 2 hour set with Armin Van Buuren recorded from some radiostation the 7th of this month. I'm halfway through the set which is my first ever experience of Armin Van Buuren. Iv'e heard of him before but never actually heard him spin the decks. Pretty sweet stuff that iv'e hear so far, it's not another PVD @ Amnesia in Ibiza last summer but it's good. PVD @ Amnesia 16th of august last year is btw what every live set that i ever listen to will be compared to. There are no words in my vocabulary to express how that damn guy absolutely tears up the decks that night. Man do i wan't to go to ibiza when i hear that set. It was so close that me and some pals booked a trip there (we would have been going today as a matter of fact) but it went down the drain for economical reasons. But next summer i'll be there.

Happy and Safe clubbing everyone!  Smile

seb146

Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:36 pm

I kept getting distracted on this end and never got a chance to say:

Has anyone discovered the sub-genre (I don't know what else to call it) of trance/house that mixes two songs? Maybe I missed the boat on this one, but I am just discovering the song Sandstorm being mixed with many other songs. My favorites I have heard mix 'Catch the Light' by Martha Wash with Sandstorm and 'Children' by Robert Miles with Sandstorm. There is also 'Summertime' by ATB with Sandstorm and 'I'll Fly With You' by Gigi D'Agustino with Sandstorm. Good stuff!

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:20 pm

*yay*

[Raises hands in the air!!!]

Go to the following website to see what is hot in the world of trance here in Oz. We have the most awesome Trance parties!

http://www.rubydance.com.au/

*yay*

Cheers,

mb

tranceport

Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:36 pm

Tiësto's remix of Oakenfold's Southern Sun might be one of the best deeper, melodic pieces I've run across, but damn.......yesterday I found PVD's remix of Guardian Of The Earth's Starchildren.

Hooooooly, that song is completely different, but the effect it gives runs a close second to Southern Sun. Talk about an uplifting, euphoric anthem!

Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:56 am

Current favourites: (slightly more commercial)

DAMAGED ( Antillas Remix ) Plummet
IF YOU WANT ME Michael Woods feat Imogen Bailey
DON'T THINK IT (FEEL IT) ( Alternative Dub ) LANGE ft LEAH
WE CAN RUNAWAY ( Christos Club Mix ) Ultrasun
DESTINATION ( (jurgen vries vocal ext mix) ) DT8 feat Roxanne wilde

mb

qnh1013

Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:42 pm

www.tranceaddicts.com

enjoy the most amazing livesets, from paul van dyk over ferry corsten via tiesto to chicane... etc...

Greetz :d
qnh1013

qnh1013

Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:31 am

And that should be:

www.tranceaddict.com/livesets.html

Sorry for the typo-mistako
Ciao

Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:07 am

Thanks for the link qnh!

It's a great site.

Cheers,

mb

tranceport

Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:13 am

Yea thanks Qnh, that's a great link.

dreamexpress

Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:53 am

Trance. Love it.

I was going to link you to tranceaddict.com but Qnh has beaten me to it. Im sure you've seen the legal downloads of trance singles on there.

My favorites are :

Lange - Dont Think It Feel It (Dub) www.lange-music.com
Firewall - Sincere
Way Out West - Domination
Solarstone's - Solar Coaster
JS16 (the remix of Helium is excellent)
Paul Van Dyke - All of them
Matt Darey ('1998' remix is very good)
CJ Stone remixes
etc, etc

eg777er

Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:25 am

I've got really into funky/progressive house over the last couple of months. I even went to see Deep Dish at Newcastle's Shindig (http://www.shindiguk.com) last Saturday which was my 21st Birthday. Without giving too much away, by the time the clocked ticked past midnight onto my birthday I was feeling on top of the world!

Shindig is renowned in the UK for being an excellent underground club. Their first 10 years of activity was marked by the release of a double-CD, "The Adventures of Shindig" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000095IXK/qid=1058476480/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-5089082-6644758) which is excellent and I'm playing in the background as I type this thread.

I also think Southern Sun (Tiesto remix) is a stunning tune, but suffering from my peculiar over-play disease. Also, Another Chance/Roger Sanchez was played at the end of the first night I ever dropped...........bliss.

Hed Kandi stuff is also very special. Disco Heaven, 02.03, Disc 2, Track 4. Love is the Music. It certainly is. In fact, so many CDs have arrived from Amazon over the last couple of days I haven't been able to listen to them all.....Back to Love, Twisted Disco, Disco Kandi, Disco Kandi 5.....I feel a long car drive coming up!

And my latest: Who Said / Planet Funk. A great, great song.

Happy housing!

Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:57 am

Mika,

Forgot to thank you for the DJMIXES link, am currently downloading the Nu Trance stuff that is on there.

I read the reviews and they were mixed. Have you downloaded it yet?

GTR - Promo Mix download from tranceaddict.com is pretty good.

*yay*

mb

serge

Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:03 am

http://trance.nu

Enough said Big grin

mika

Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:28 pm

mx5

No i haven't downloaded that one yet, i think i'll do it right away.  Smile

mika

Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:29 pm

And oh, all you american trance/house fans in here. Do they sell Ministry Of Sound releases in the US? This always pondered me.

SWA TPA

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:28 am

Finally! Now I know what kind of music I am dancing to in clubs! A couple of drinks in me and this kind of music....
Love it! I can close my eyes and dance forever. Its amazing, I get so into the music I swear I forget where I am and slip into my own little world on the dance floor.

Thanks for suggesting Southern Sun. Listening to it now and ADORE it!!! Gotta compile some tunes and burn a CD for my workouts. Got anymore good titles to download?
I believe I can fly.....

serge

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:50 am

Heres some more goods:

Faithless ft. Dido - One step too far
Paul Oakenfold mix - DJ Special K - Spiritual Ecstasy
4 Strings - Let it rain (vocal club mix)
Plummet - Damaged (antillas remix)
BT - Lullaby for Gaia
Bt - Blue Skies (Paul Van Dyk mix)
Pulser - Cloudwalking

...could go on and on..  Smile

tranceport

Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:52 am

Great response to the thread.......thanks guys

Mika wrote:

"And oh, all you american trance/house fans in here. Do they sell Ministry Of Sound releases in the US? This always pondered me."

Yea bud, there are Ministry of Sound releases in the US. In fact, lots of them. I live in Canada now but when I'm back in the States I can find them easily. I guess it's all up to the individual and their particular tastes, but I've found that you have to be a bit careful with them. Some people believe that anything with MOS stamped on it is gold. I've found you have to pick and choose to find the good stuff.

I'm sure it's old and overplayed stuff for you guys who are already long time trance fans, but the first Trance Nation CD is pretty good stuff.

SWA TPA wrote:

Finally! Now I know what kind of music I am dancing to in clubs! A couple of drinks in me and this kind of music....
Love it! I can close my eyes and dance forever. Its amazing, I get so into the music I swear I forget where I am and slip into my own little world on the dance floor.

Thanks for suggesting Southern Sun. Listening to it now and ADORE it!!! Gotta compile some tunes and burn a CD for my workouts.

Yea buddy!!! You're on the right bandwagon for sure. I agree with ya on Southern Sun. I don't know if you purchase any CD's or prefer to download all your music, but some of the best of this stuff is the mixing and listening to an entire album done seamlessly. Of all the stuff I've listened to, if you like Southern Sun I'd recommend you buy Paul Oakenfold's album Tranceport or Armin Van Buuren's album Transparence 004. Although I'm not a big Okie fan except for Tranceport and Fluoro (Be careful with this one, it's Goa trance--not what you hear in clubs these days), Tranceport is a classic and a bench mark in trance music.

As far as slipping away into your own little world on the dance floor and forgetting where you are at......that's awesome. Looks like you're well suited to trance music. To me that's the difference between house music and trance music. I have danced to a lot of house music and for me it's about the energy of the crowd and the rhythm of the music and finding the right groove. You're right on the money with trance music. In the right set and setting, it's the perfect music to just close your eyes and be carried away to your own world on the pure euphoria of the beat driven melody. It's not called trance music for nothing.

Any dedicated trance music fan will own Aarmin Van Burren's Transparence 004, Paul Oakenfold's Tranceport, DJ Tiësto's Majik 6: Live in Amsterdam and In Search of Sunrise Vol. 3 If you do any research, you will find that for various reasons, a large part of the "mature" trance community holds these albums up as some of the gold standards which do not age and are as good today as when they were produced several years ago.

Just a word on In Search of Sunrise Vol. 3. It's lush, rich, melodic trance and although it's very danceable, it's probably not the same thing as you're used to dancing to. It's more pure emotion and joy music that can take you up as high as any chemical if you're in the right mood.

Anyway, go to amazon.com or a music review page and find a list of the tracks on these albums. Download some of them. Although you'll miss out on the musical journey you'll get from listening start to finish, you won't be disappointed in the music.

EG777er wrote:

I've got really into funky/progressive house over the last couple of months.

I enjoy some of it as well. Admittedly, house music is not my first love and I find a lot of it boring, but I recently was steered toward Carl Cox. Sasha & Digweed are slowly pulling me into the vortex of progressive house music though. I purchased Carl Cox's Global yesterday and half heartedly put it into the stereo player and drove out to the ocean and parked along the beach and cranked it up. Within three tracks I was drawn into the music in a way I'm only done with trance music. For sure, it doesn't have the melodic uplifting element of trance music, but it's far from boring. It's got a great groove with a lot of variation.

Happy listening you guys.

mika

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:26 am

Hed Kandi stuff is also very special. Disco Heaven, 02.03, Disc 2, Track 4. Love is the Music. It certainly is. In fact, so many CDs have arrived from Amazon over the last couple of days I haven't been able to listen to them all.....Back to Love, Twisted Disco, Disco Kandi, Disco Kandi 5.....I feel a long car drive coming up!

I recently discovered Hed Kandi and downloaded random tracks from some albums they've released and so far i have very mixed feelings about what iv'e heard. I tend to believe that the original Disco Kandi stuff is a bit slow and dull for me in lack of another expression. Twisted Kandi and Deeper Kandi seems to be more my style (i really wouldn't know, iv'e just heard a few tracks from each CD). Where is the cheapest place to get hold of Hed Kandi stuff? I saw some albums for £12,99 incl shipping on play.com, is there any cheaper way to get em?

mika

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:35 am

Some people believe that anything with MOS stamped on it is gold. I've found you have to pick and choose to find the good stuff.

I couldn't agree more with this. There are certainly some real treasure's among all the CD's that MoS have released but common sense tells you that not all of them can be good at the rate they are splurting them out. Iv'e also noticed another thing, they release different versions of the same album in diffrerent places. The new "Clubbers guide summer 2003" is called "Clubbers guide to Sweden" here in sweden and has completely different content than the UK version. The UK version is 2 CD's whilst the Swedish is only 1 CD. The cover is the same though (except the text obviously). Same goes for the Trance nation series, i thought i had bought both the 2002 and 2003 versions when they suddenly released another 2003 over here. Turns out it was a single CD nordic version. This happened during this winter and it seems that since then they release special (crappier it seems) versions here in sweden and scandinavia. I guess they wanna make as much $$ as possible, iv'e heard that they aren't doing very well at the moment.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:35 pm

Mika & Tranceport,

Couldn't agree more with the MoS thing. And I have a couple of *Clubbers Guide to ........* And Trancenation. *yuk* OK if you really want to get bored.

I have a number of friends that are Trance DJ's here in Sydney and as soon as I put up my hand I am given numerous sets. Most of them are damn good and my collection is getting quite huge. My favourite DJ still has to be Ruby - all totally Euphoric Trance that literally *moves* you. I wish you guys could be able to get hold of some of the sets him and Neil Crawford have done which have been 'hair on edge' stuff.

After downloading a mass of stuff this week my favourites from abroad are a set by Ronski Speed and Gareth Emery, only because it has the Labworks "Ibiza Sunrise" track which I love. Although the Armin Van Buuren live on Galaxy set was pretty damn sweet.

Tranceport says:

"""To me that's the difference between house music and trance music. I have danced to a lot of house music and for me it's about the energy of the crowd and the rhythm of the music and finding the right groove. You're right on the money with trance music. In the right set and setting, it's the perfect music to just close your eyes and be carried away to your own world on the pure euphoria of the beat driven melody. It's not called trance music for nothing."""

That about sums it up. Isn't trance all about *hands up in the air*? It's music that takes you on a journey to another time, another place. The beats and the rythem move you from one level to another and the right set builds this up to the final track that makes you *grin* or yell for joy!

I would have to say that Trance is the classical of the millenium. Only those types of music can move us in such a way. (sans lyrics of course) But then that is my interpretation.

Oh, and the Nu Trance Generation download is kinda OK - I have decided to take up an offer of a mate of mine to start making my own sets in conjunction with him.

So I will keep you guys posted as to how my *set* progresses. Expect to see Aussie stuff and I will let you guys know when I put it up for download.

Happy Tranceing!

mb [gawd - we are being trance spammed to the right]

mika

Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:01 am

So I will keep you guys posted as to how my *set* progresses. Expect to see Aussie stuff and I will let you guys know when I put it up for download.

Looking forward to it mate!  Smile

Iv'e thought about getting a pair of decks and a mixer and becoming a "bedroom DJ" for some time now. Now if i could only raise the cash for it. The cheapest equipment iv'e seen retails for around $700. i think i'd go CD if i ever get to buy the stuff. I have a steady collection of CD's so it'd make more sense than going 12". I guess i'll have to save up for it or take a loan or something.  Sad

mika

Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:03 am

How about you other guys? You ever felt the desire to start mixing your own sets and maybe (BIIIG maybe) be able to earn a little money from it playing at some events in the future? (Remember that PVD, Tiësto, Carl Cox and all these guys started somewhere. And most of them DIDN'T do it when they where 5 years old so it's never too late.)

CPH-R

Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:14 am

I'll agree to both Underwater & Global Underground being some of the best labels out there (along with so many others). I danced the night away to Darren Emerson & Gus Gus at Roskilde Festival (Tim Deluxe was supposed to play too, but he was held back in the UK) during an Underwater Night, and I' currently in the middle of getting all the GU albums (I even have the DVD they made - a very interesting & funny one, especially when Sasha realizes that he has to play at the 'Star Club', which all Ibiza DJs avoids like the plague Big grin)

eg777er

Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:32 am

One of my flatmates got a DJ-starter set from HMV for Christmas, about 249.99 pounds I think. Had two decks and a mixing box. He's since upgraded the box, and will probably do the decks soon as well.

Gus Gus - very good indeed.......also, "We love Sax" by Tim Deluxe is one of my favourite tunes.

So.....to all you hardcore clubbers.....what drugs do you do when going out? For me, it's the one and only, E*****y......

CPH-R

Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:37 am

For me it's music & water - this year have been a bit low regarding drugs at RF, considering that a warning had been issued warning people against the VW-pills.

tranceport

Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:00 am

I'm hardly what you'd consider a hardcore clubber. I get out perhaps four to five times a year to pull an all night dance session. On those nights, I'm like EG777er. With my low tolerance and sensitivity, one and only one little pill is more than enough for an amazing night.

I'm scared of the other stuff. Why anyone would take depressants or dissociatives like Ketamine, GHB, and even large amounts of alcohol when they want to go dance is beyond me. I guess a guy can't knock what he hasn't tried, but it seems to have just the opposite effect the music is supposed to be having on you.

I kind of feel the same way about stimulants. Coke might be okay, except I've heard it has a large potential for addiction, which scares me.

Speed scare me for the same reason, plus how it makes some people act. I know nothing about it, but I assume they must be tweaking out of their minds when their eyes are bugging, they are blinking really fast all the time, chewing gum like there's no tomorrow, their arms flail all around when they are having animated conversations and giddily laughing, and they need ten feet on the dancefloor to basically hop around with a wild look in their eyes.

Maybe that's not a normal reaction, but rather just people who have sampled a lot of the stuff. I don't know.

Anyway, all of that stuff has the potential to be pretty harmful and destructive. It's still not settled in my mind if *responsible* drug use is even possible, but there are things people can do, especially when choosing to use MDMA (Ecstasy), that make for a safer experience. I learned a lot about harm reduction from the website dancesafe.org. They have a slideslow entitled [i]Your Brain on Ecstasy[/i] that is interesting and pretty much a must-read for any person contemplating or using MDMA

Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:38 pm

Hhhhmmm,

I was waiting for this to come up. Personally I'm like Tranceport (we keep agreeing? LOL) and stick to just 'e'.

Although I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't tried other things.

GBH and K are dangerous in my books and speed is boring. 'E' gets a bad rap because it's quality is not always assured. There are test kits out there now that can tell if the stuff your buying is the real McCoy or something adulterated. Even asking a dealer if they had their batch tested or *can I test it* will send unscrupulous dealers running on their heals.

If you look at the amount of people who take 'e' v's the OD's or actual deaths compared to other drugs like alcohol you will see the dreaded 'e' fares quite extremely well in a per capita basis.

And another thing to add to that - is the media sensationalism over 'e' *she was on 'e' when she died* *I can't beleive my little girl took drugs* Blahdiblah. Yeah and all too ofter that little girl probably took 'e', GBH. Speed, Alcohol and lord knows what else before she OD'd. Illicit drugs and the like are always going to be around and people will experiment. Telling people *just say no* is not the answer - the only way we can stop OD's or people getting addicted to things is to educate them in what they do.

None of the people I know who have taken 'e' - even on a regular basis - have become addicted to the stuff or other things as a result. I know more POT heads than I do 'e' addicts.

Tranceport says:

"""It's still not settled in my mind if *responsible* drug use is even possible, but there are things people can do, especially when choosing to use MDMA (Ecstasy), that make for a safer experience. I learned a lot about harm reduction from the website dancesafe.org. """"

Very wise move and a good site - I have looked at it numerous times for advice. We are responsible for our own welfare and responsible drug use is just one of those things. Should we smoke? Should we drink alcohol? Should we take drugs? (even prescription)

What is the difference between someone prescribed anti-depressants (zoloft / prozac etc) and someone who might take the occaisional 'e'?

A hell of a lot. I don't want to even imagine how many people are popping happy pills as we speak.

My thoughts.

mb

eg777er

Re: Trance Music

Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:29 pm

Some interesting answers.

For me, I first took 'e' at an all night dance music festival that went on from 10pm till 5am. I 'popped' four and a half, which must be some kind of record on your first time, and had what is safe to say the best night of my life. (Well, almost the best  Big grin ).

It was a very safe atmosphere, around lots of friends. I took their advice which was to not to get drunk, drink lots of water (but not too much). My friends also mentioned that sometimes scoring in a club is better than outside, you can see the people who are having a good time off their own stuff rather than dodgy blokes outside who are just pushing. I done 'e' quite a few times since, in varying amounts, and have always had a very good time. It's really brought me out of my shell, get even closer to my closest friends, and I've met some amazing new people. The stereotype of drugged up ravers just isn't accurate.....I've met doctors, teachers, stockbrokers, students from all walks of life who're just having a good time.

I'd never touch speed or ket, just coz I've seen people on it and it's not pleasant. Some friends took ket once, and whilst it was hilarious seeing them crawling all over the floor with highly exaggerated movements and screaming at the sight of a door knob, it got a bit wierd and they had a horrendous comedown.

Coke just turns me into an arrogant bastard.....my flatmate and I did a fairly heavy session on it and it turned us into a couple of wankers. We thought it was hilarious, but to everyone else I'm sure we just looked like two big knobs.....

So, there you have it: the eg777er guide to drugs. I think there's no harm in them, as long as you are sensible and stay safe. Personally, I know people who have a bottle of wine each with dinner, 4-5 nights a week. That sort of stuff does serious long-term damage to you......and is socially acceptable. Wierd. (On this basis, I'm somewhat tempted to have a debate with my parents about it, but it's one conversation I would never win.......)

(And while were at it, recommendations: 'I wish you were here', John Creamer & Stephane K.)

mika

Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:18 pm

Iv'e never actually tried any drugs other than alcohol but if the time and place is right i might go for a hit of E. Cuz at the end of the day alcohol is a drug too and to me the only difference between a hit of E and downing some vodka is that the vodka is legal. They'r both the same shite serving the same purpose. (And you can "OD" from alcohol too, iv'e heard stories of people dying when they downed 1 and a half large bottles of 40% Vodka. It might be easier to OD from E but anyways. I wouldn't know cuz i have no experience from it but i can imagine that it is.)

mika

Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:19 pm

Geez would you look at that. The above is my 1000th post.  Big thumbs up

eg777er

In Praise Of 'E'

Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:32 pm

They'r both the same shite serving the same purpose.

Obviously as you've never tried it, you wouldn't know....but ecstacy is so much better than alcohol. Alcohol makes you tired, sluggish, out of control. Ecstacy gives you an amazing feeling of empathy with everyone around you. It is impossible to stop smiling. You feel at one with the music. It gives you incredible energy. You are totally in control. You remember everything. You feel sharp, controlled, blissfully happy. Compared to ecstacy, alcohol is rubbish, total s**t.

Also, the great thing about 'e' is that, on your first time, if you don't like it, just don't take any more and the effects will wear off in about an hour. But I don't think that's ever happened to anyone......!

mika

Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:40 pm

Obviously as you've never tried it, you wouldn't know....

Guilty as charged. I haven't tried it but what i meant was that you take alcohol and other drogs for the same reason: To have a good night out.

Now to something else. I was browsing around some internet record stores and what amazes me is that the Vinyls much of the times are more than half as expensive as the CD's. at http://www.bangingtunes.com they take at an average £5 for a Vinyl and around $12 for a CD. How come? i thought Vinyls were more expensive to make than CD's. Now i'm seriously considering getting real turntables instead of CD decks to my future DJ Equipment seeing that the 12"s are so damn cheap.

mika

Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:10 am

Ok now i get it. The Vinyls only contain 2 or 3 different mixes of the same song whilst the full priced CD's contain different songs in different mixes. hence the difference in price, you get what you pay for. Pardon my ignorance folks. Embarrassment

tranceport

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:22 am

Three days ago I finally took the jump in and purchased my first entry-level high end sound system. I have a buddy who works at a national chain electronics retail store here in Vancouver, so he was able to get me everything at cost. I guess it's not what ya know, it's who ya know, eh?  Smile In any event, I'm having a hell of a good time with it. Taking music to a new level.

Anyway, it's a Harman Kardon AVR 125 receiver with 2 Polk R50 150-watt floor speakers and a Polk PSW202 subwoofer with a built in 50-watt amplifier. It's probably peanuts to you hardcore DJs and music fans out there, but to me it's pretty awesome.

Anybody have any experience with connecting a subwoofer to a unit like this? The subwoofer jack is a single jack labeled PRE-OUT. I purchased a "Y" cable and plugged one end into the PRE-OUT jack and the other "Y" end into the "left" and "right" LINE IN jacks on the subwoofer. I get nothing. I've checked that the subwoofer is turned on and that my receiver is configured correctly. Still nothing. I find it unlikely I have faulty equipment, but I'm thinking there is something wrong with my setup, but I can't figure it out. Oh yea, the subwoofer does have a built in 50 watt amplifier.

mika

Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:17 am

Nice choice going with the H/K receiver, i myself have a 2 year old AVR2000. I love it and next time when i upgrade my stuff i'll certianly go H/K again.

About the subwoofer setup. Just plug one of the 2 cables in the Pre-out jack and the corresponding cable in the other end to EITHER the L or R input's (Not both) on the Sub. You really don't need 2 cables for that, just one single cable that goes from the Pre-out to the L or R jack in the sub. Hope you get it working.

[Edited 2003-07-20 23:18:36]

mika

Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:21 am

It really should work that way. I hooked up my Yamaha Subwoofer just like that and it works fine. It also has two inputs, L and R. (I don't know why as it doesn't matter which one you connect the cable into.)

tranceport

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:16 am

I must have either a faulty pre-out subwoofer jack/connection on my HK receiver or else my subwoofer is broken. Everyone tells me the same thing you do, and it just won't work. I keep getting suggestions that I've configured my system incorrectly, but I've gone over the manual and every step about two dozen times, and nothing changes.

It looks like my receiver is not even recognising the subwoofer. The little red boxes indicating my two other speakers have a L and an R in them to show the system recognises them. I can configure my system for the subwoofer, but the LFE never lights up inside the little icon showing that there is even a connection.

This sucks, but such is life. I'm leaving tomorrow for work again in the States for seven weeks, so maybe I can figure it out when I return home again in September.

mika

Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:56 am

It looks like my receiver is not even recognising the subwoofer. The little red boxes indicating my two other speakers have a L and an R in them to show the system recognises them. I can configure my system for the subwoofer, but the LFE never lights up inside the little icon showing that there is even a connection.

It shouldn't light up inside the box. The red box itself should be there to show that the sub is configured but the "LFE" text is only visible when you feed the receiver with a Dolby Digital 5.1 bit stream or similar that has a dedicated Low frequency soundtrack and has nothing really to do with the sub being connected or not. It just shows which channels the DVD or whatever source is feeding the receiver. The red boxes however should be visible though as i said.

How do you know btw that the sub isn't working? I barely notice mine sometimes if i don't turn it of in the middle of a soundtrack or song playing. The placement could play a big part in this also, on some places in your room the sub just doesn't sound that much.

mika

Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:57 am

And also, this might be a stupid question but is it on?

tranceport

Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:35 pm

Yea, it is turned on. I am figuring it isn't putting anything out because I can turn the volume 3/4 of the way to max and kneel right beside it and press my ear to the fabric on the speaker cover and not hear or feel a thing.

mika

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:20 pm

Disconnect the other speakers and play some heavy bass stuff only with the sub connected just in case. Then you'll defenetively know if it's dead or not.

mika

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:26 pm

I very much doubt that it's the pre-out on the H/K that is dodgy if anything is. The pre-out isn't really that comlicated piece of machinery so i can't see what would be wrong with it that wouldn't have be seen in the Q.C at the factory. H/K isn't really known to make shitty stuff and isn't really the cheapest brand either. I would have gotten a mid end pioneer with the amount of money i put on my entry level H/K. (Still not complaining though, it's a marvelous machine!)

If anything is broken i think it's the sub's amp or the cable.