venuscat2

Mechanics Smoking In Service Bays

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:27 am

This question might seem kind of odd..but...

I was at a Firestone "Mastercare" service center today and noticed that most of the mechanics were walking around the service bays with lit cigarrettes in their mouths. Is this not very dangerous (if not illegal)? I would think with all of the fumes from veichles and with all of the flammable fluids that it would be forbidden. (Are they truely living up to the "fire" in their name?)

vafi88

RE: Mechanics Smoking In Service Bays

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:49 am

I saw it too, I thought it was kinda strage, what I thought was funny was the mechanic burning himself with the oil from the car....
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

AerLingus

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:55 am

You can look at it two ways, I guess.
One: They're lucky to be alive.
Two: It's okay to smoke in the garage or they must know something we don't because they're not dead yet.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

seb146

Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:46 pm

My dad always worked on our cars and he smoked up to two packs a day. He helped me change the fuel filter on my Nissan 210 once. He took a smoke before, helped me, washed his hands and took a smoke after.
Other times, when he was changing the break pads or the plugs or something, he too would let that cigarette dangle from his mouth. It has something to do with the ashes are already out (most of the time) so it can be safe.
On the other hand, it is a workplace and should be subject to workplace/smoking rules......

GO CANUCKS!!
Life in the wall is a drag.