b757300

Saddam's Sons Likely Killed In Firefight

Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:43 am

We all remember during the war how the media sometimes got reports wrong in the rush to be the first to report things but this time lets hope they're right.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/07/22/sprj.irq.sons/index.html

http://www.msnbc.com/news/870749.asp?0cv=CA01

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,92591,00.html
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

EA CO AS

RE: Saddam's Sons Likely Killed In Firefight

Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:10 am

this time lets hope they're right

I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

yyz717

Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:37 am

Uday is such a thug, it would be preferable to have caught him alive.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

NoUFO

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:21 am

I'm "reasonably certain" to have heard the best news since weeks.
I support the right to arm bears

TriStar500

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:37 am

How many times have they been killed before?
Let's hope they now have used up their seventh life...
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

deltairlines

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:40 am

I think that the media has it right this time. I was watching FOX News and the building where the firefight was was just decimated. I think that our military got this one down pat, and we won't have to deal with two more aces in the deck of cards any more.

Jeff

b757300

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:47 am

We finally got the garbage. CENTCOM has now confirmed it.

http://www.centcom.mil/CENTCOMNews/news_release.asp?NewsRelease=20030768.txt

NoUFO

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:48 am

Pentagon CONFIRMS dead of Saddam's sons, N24 says.
I support the right to arm bears

STT757

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:57 am

I happened to be watching a documentary about Saddams sons (mostly Udday) on the History Channel last night, this guy was a monster with no care for human life.

The stories recounted by exiled Iraqi Olympic Atheletes is very applaling, this guy (udday) was rediculously evil.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Sabena 690

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:10 am

Jeff: FOX is no news, just wanted to make it clear...

For the rest, bush must be glad they FINALLY killed SOMEBODY carrying the name 'Hussein'  Big grin

Sabena332

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:15 am

For the rest, bush must be glad they FINALLY killed SOMEBODY carrying the name 'Hussein'

Very true!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

aloges

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:17 am

And finally, a good thing has happened in Iraq since they tore down that statue!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

flyingbronco05

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:23 am

On a related note:

Wasn't Saddam killed 3 times?  Big grin

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

Stretch 8

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:25 am

Good riddance that these two animals are apparently gone. They need to find Saddam, cut off his head, and pit it on a post in central Baghdad. Then maybe the rest of those Saddam "loyalists" will get the picture.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

apathoid

Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:04 am

One can only hope they suffered immensely before American soldiers sent them to hell...

IwantaBBJ

Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:10 am

Well, if all I've heard about 'em is true, then yes, it's good that they're gone...

And yes, Apathoid, I'm hoping the same as you...

United777

Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:11 am

Good news finally from Iraq! I've wanted the two thug sons of Saddam killed more than Saddam himself.

I've heard some messed up stories about Uday after watching a specials about the two sons last night on the History channel. This ass hole raped a girl on her wedding night and took her from the hands of her new husband to rape her!

Hopefully this is true and it looks like it is. Let's home Saddam is next!

artsyman

Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:55 am

Info removed from cnn, so link no longer active

Jeremy

[Edited 2003-07-23 00:07:40]

aloges

Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:47 am

It seems very true, I've read (on http://www.spiegel.de/) that they have been killed together with two other Iraqis, of which one is believed to have been the 14-year-old son of one of them (info no longer available on the website). They also report/reported that the bodies had been identified by several persons, by DNA test and by examining old bullet wounds. I guess we can believe it!

keesje

Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:11 am

must be a relieve for many Iraqis, no risc anymore of Uday one day returning to power ....

if only half is truth of what we heard about him no one will miss him.

hopefully some leads to papa ...
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

aloges

Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:17 am

One thing about their loving and caring daddy: Wouldn't it be better if he was captured and sentenced to life in prison? And with that, I mean a dark solitary cell, no visits, no books, no music, no personal contact, no whatever-might-make-life-better-than-hell. At least to me, that would seem more of a punishment than being shot in a gunfight; and it wouldn't make a hero (in anyone's eyes) out of him.

bobrayner

Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:31 am

If you want gruesome punishments, then how are you better than the original perpetrators?

If they died in a firefight, good. If they were captured and just locked up, also good. If you want gratuitous Really Bad Things to happen even though that won't undo any of their terrible deeds or make anything better - that sounds more like malice than justice.

Oops, flamebait again  Smile
Cunning linguist

aloges

Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:45 am

Nope, Bob, not flamebait. It's just that you don't know what I consider the borderline for punishment.

For example, I would never wish anyone to get raped, or killed, or abused, or severly injured. I also object calling any human being "scum" or the like. The reason why I wrote reply #20 is that I thought about punishment for extremely dangerous and malicious persons, like Saddam Hussein. In an environment like the one I tried to describe he would get an idea of what most people think of him (they hate him), and maybe realize what he's being punished for. After a long period of time, his situation might be improved slowly and perhaps gradually, but he should never be allowed close contact with other persons.

Would that harm him mentally? Perhaps yes, perhaps not - at least it wouldn't be a philanthropist's mind that would get harmed.

The least an eventual trial against Saddam Hussein should provide is some sort of (delayed) gratification for his victims and their loved ones. I don't think that could be achieved by letting him die honourably, like a soldier, in a gunfight.

Alpha 1

Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:57 am

That is outstanding news-two scumbags of the earth eradicated. That is welcome news.

But again, it's NOT why we were told we went to war? Where are the weapons? The nuke research? The Al Qaeda operatives? As elated as I am to see these two bastards taken out, it's tempered by those continuing questions.

galaxy5

Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:21 am

Its great news those two are dead and gone, its also great to she that a Shi'ite cleric was the one to turn them in. They also discovered $50,000,000 worth of US and German currency with them along with intel on the current guerilla leaders causing so much trouble there now. They should give the Cleric $15,000,000 out of the $50 mil they found that would save the US tax payer the cost. Now we need to move forward get Saddam, Usama and find those WMDs.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

aloges

Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:25 am

"Now we need to move forward get Saddam, ..."

Yep!

"... Usama ..."

whereever he may be...

"... and find those WMDs."

Good luck, it'll be needed.

yyz717

Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:40 am

Good riddance that these two animals are apparently gone. They need to find Saddam, cut off his head, and pit it on a post in central Baghdad.

You've really got to learn to form an opinion Stetch8!  Smile

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Alpha 1

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:33 am

You may find Saddam, and OBL, but I don't think you'll ever find WMD's in the amount that would have made this war truely necessary.

bravo45

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:09 am

I have been once again browsing through the threads for a while now but this post by Alpha1 has made me reply,
Do you believe it now?? (It goes out to all)
BTW I am not in a mood of a conflict, just some humor. I was ROTFL when I saw it.
The title is "710 reasons to invade Iraq."
http://www.pbase.com/image/19456634
Enjoy!! I might not reply to flame bait stuff. Some of the people here are hopeless. I had that impression of Alpha1 a long time ago, but I like to correct myself where ever I find myself wrong. Sorry pal!

Alpha 1

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:28 am

Bravo45, that's funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh.  Big thumbs up

b757300

Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:20 pm

For some, no amount of chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons & components will ever be enough to justify removing Saddam from power since it was done by a Republican President. The weapons of mass destruction will be found and then certain people will be eating a lot of Crow.

As for Saddam, we'll find him as well if he is still alive. As long as he is in Iraq he is limited in his ability to travel and when he can travel. He'll turn up soon, probably in a body bag.

As for bin Laden, he probably opened his mouth real wide and said "GBU!".

On the debate on capturing or killing Saddam and bin Laden, I think the only real option is to kill them on sight if they're not already dead. If we arrest them and send them to prison for life then they will become an object for violence as their followers do anything they can to try and free them. I can just imagine how many suicide bombers and other terrorist attacks would occur on U.S. soil. I usually believe in fair justice for criminals, even war criminals, but sometimes a bullet to the head is the only kind of justice acceptable for the circumstances.

Alpha 1

Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:40 pm

For some, no amount of chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons & components will ever be enough to justify removing Saddam from power since it was done by a Republican President.

WHAT amount of chem, bio or nukes, B757300!! For God's sakes, man, NOTHING HAS BEEN FOUND!!! And I'd be this pissed off had this been Al Gore or Bill Clinton who pulled this stuff off. We haven't found jack shit, why are you pretending we have?

And the justification WAS NOT in removing Saddam-it was because the Administration said Iraq had an aresenal of WMD's ready to use, which, as we know now, he didn't. You can't have it both ways.

As for bin Laden, he probably opened his mouth real wide and said "GBU!".

On THAT, I think I have to agree with you, for one reason: he always wanted his ugly mug in front of a tv camera. We haven't seen him in 18 month's. I think he's dead, too.

N766UA

Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:15 pm

I agree that the WMD thing was hyped, but I think they DO have them. We know they had scientests and researchers doing work on Chemical and Nuclear projects, so if they didn't have them... they would have gotten them soon. Going into Iraq based on threats posed by WMDs is a very valid reason, it just was hyped way too much. I think if they had taken the emphasis off weapons and spread it out between that, stopping the insane ragime of the Hussein family, even just finishing what we started in 91, then alot more people would be happy. Yes it was hyped, but I think we did need to do what we did.

Oh yeah, and good riddance to those animals!
This Website Censors Me

RayChuang

Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:38 pm

In many ways, Qusay and Uday Hussein were the real power of the Saddam Hussein regime. And both of them were capable of some quite unspeakable crimes, notably Uday's sadism and Qusay's willingness to kill many thousands of Iraqi citizens at a stroke of a pen.

Their passing will not be mourned.

globalexpress

Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:46 pm

Iraq has not got any Weapons of Mass Destruction left. They were destroyed BEFORE this silly war.

For christs sake, journalists all shit their pants when soldiers find a tin of talc powder and a gas mask. Maybe the Iraqi's were worried WE would use WMD's on them.

I'm glad these thugs are gone. But my conscience still struggles of some issues.

airsicknessbag

Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:15 pm

It is very unfortunate they died before coughing up some information on the regime. E.g. status of WMD programmes, whereabouts of other wanted head honchos including their daddy, archives and the like about disappeared persons etc.

>>>They also discovered $50,000,000 worth of US and German currency with them

LOL, what could they have done with D-Mark? Travel to Germany and exchange them for Euros at the Bundesbank?
"Excuse me Sir, I need to see your ID when you exchange more than 30,000 DM."  Laugh out loud

Daniel Smile

Sabena332

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:16 pm

Now we need to move forward get Saddam, Usama and find those WMDs.

Which WMD`s?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Super Em

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:24 pm

They better find Saddam quick and put an end to his power.If they don't, it will only increase the violence against the Americans.

GDB

Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:25 am

What do you reckon the Iraqi who turned them in will do with the $30 million reward?

gkirk

Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:39 am

Emigrate to the UK or USA?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Qb001

Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:36 am

Just heard an expert on Iraq on Radio-Canada. He expressed some skepticism that both Saddam's sons were killed, since they apparently hated each other. It seems odd that they were together.

This is not my opinion, I'm just a messenger here.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

yyz717

Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:46 am

I agree, it does seem odd that they were together. They were rivals and common sense would suggest they would have separated.

If Saddam had doubles, no doubt his sons may have also.

I guess the DNA evidence will prove it.

EA CO AS

Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:14 am

WHAT amount of chem, bio or nukes, B757300!! For God's sakes, man, NOTHING HAS BEEN FOUND!!! And I'd be this pissed off had this been Al Gore or Bill Clinton who pulled this stuff off. We haven't found jack shit, why are you pretending we have?

Alpha 1, for some reason you still don't get it.

Let's assume your best friend tells you he's going to give you $1,000,000 in cash. You'd want it, right? He tells you it's in a suitcase. All you have to do is go find it and it's all yours.

Now let's assume he tells you that you can't go looking for it for TWELVE YEARS...and that it'll be buried somewhere in the state of California. Again, all you have to do is go get it. Easy, right?

This is essentially what the coalition forces are up against. Saddam Hussein's regime had the better part of 12 years to hide their WMDs and all the evidence of their programs somewhere in Iraq. It's not exactly a tiny country, and it's not like they'd leave clearly defined markers saying, "WMDs 10km" y'know.

Again, if nothing has been found in a few YEARS, then maybe you can bitch. Until then, your arguments hold no water.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

bobrayner

Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:00 am

Now let's assume he tells you that you can't go looking for it for TWELVE YEARS...and that it'll be buried somewhere in the state of California. Again, all you have to do is go get it. Easy, right?

That's odd. A few months ago, the Bush administration was claiming specific intelligence about quantities and types of WMDs, a shortlist of locations, and of course it could be deployed within 45 mins. Plus, WMDs were being supposedly produced as well as stockpiled.

Suddenly hiding a WMD factory - before infrastructure was hit, and key facilities bombed, in the first few hours - would be even more difficult than hiding those multi-ton consignments of noxious chemicals.

Or maybe the Hussein regime was playing a cunning counterintelligence game - making it look as though WMDs were in production, which would bring allied wrath upon them, whereas they were actually keeping quiet about old reserves of WMD hidden in the desert, and all their related facilities were long since shut down and cleaned up to fool the invaders?

What came of all the previous discoveries (to date) of suspicious-looking substances?
Cunning linguist

yyz717

Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:07 am

WMD's (especially of a chemical variety) can be very compact & difficult to locate.

Given Saddam's use of chemical weapons on the Kurds and his refusal to cooperate with arms inspectors, it is reasonable to assume that he had WMD's.

bobrayner

Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:22 am

He certainly had them in the past; nobody's denying that.
I don't doubt you'll find traces somewhere if you go over the right facility with a fine-toothed comb.

refusal to cooperate with arms inspectors
The last time that inspectors were in the country, they did quite well - until they were forced out. Who forced them out?

Anyway, they appear to have done a good job documenting Iraq's disarmament process on their last visit (not having been in Iraq for 12 years continuously, of course) before having to leave, and they had plenty of cooperation.

The coalition made sure to check all the sites that the inspectors mentioned, plus any likely-looking alternate sites picked out by satellite, and as yet haven't found anything. If Iraq was still working with WMDs, then it was in a separate, even-more-secret WMD programme, chinese-walled from the programme that everybody heard about, and in a hitherto undiscovered bunker complex somewhere in the desert wastes. That sounds unlikely, although I wouldn't rule it out completely  Big grin

In that light, I doubt anything usable or operational will be found, or any live production facility.

[Edited 2003-07-23 21:24:48]
Cunning linguist

STT757

Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:09 am

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Alpha 1

Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:47 am

WMD's (especially of a chemical variety) can be very compact & difficult to locate.

ROTFLMAO. Riiight! Especially when the Administration said they were EVERYWHERE in Iraq, but now can't find them, eh, Yyz717?

bobrayner

Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:41 am

Powell:
Our conservative estimate is that Iraq today has a stockpile of between 100 and 500 tons of chemical weapons agent

And, of course, Rumsfeld:
We know where they are. They are in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad

Even in the most pessimistic interpretation of the above - that the WMDs were hidden at random around the whole Baghdad / Tikrit basin in 50,000 jerrycans - surely a few would have been found by now, or somebody would have pointed them out?

Not quite so easy though. They were supposed to be operationally ready (30,000 munitions, and certainly larger delivery mechanisms, would be rather harder to hide at the last minute) and coalition forces already had lots of intelligence on likely sites.

How many years do you need?

(Edit: You don't seem to have explained how WMD production facilities could be hidden, or what happened to all the previous claims of WMD finds. Perhaps this was an oversight?)

[Edited 2003-07-24 01:47:31]
Cunning linguist

bobrayner

Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:44 am

Anyway. It's good to see that Uday and Qusay have gone.
Cunning linguist