lehpron

What Do Iraq And Liberia Have In Common?

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:31 am

My curiosity wants any geographical, political, economical, etc. commonality between these two countries. Whatever reason the US feels the absolute need to be in Iraq will eventually (probably -- I'm starting to doubt myself) be the same for going to Liberia as well. I am pretty sure it is not an idea wildly available, soon we'll know for sure.

So, what are these mystery traits, if any?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

bobrayner

RE: What Do Iraq And Liberia Have In Common?

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:57 am

They have very little in common except that they would both benefit greatly from intervention.

Liberia would probably benefit more than Iraq, IMHO.

However, the Bush administration can't really win in the eyes of its critics. If they try to help Liberia, they'll get accused of imperialism and people will start running sweepstakes on how many other countries will be invaded before the next election; if they avoid Liberia, then opponents would (rightly) point out that humanitarian motives must be a long way down their list of priorities.
Cunning linguist

UAL747

Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:20 am

Aren't a lot of US cruise ships registered in Liberia?

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

bobrayner

Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:34 am

Liberia is/was a common flag of convenience because the requirements are minimal. Panama too, ISTR.

Ship owners don't really want to spend lots of money meeting certification / registration requirements in their home country (tax differences, higher crew costs, paperwork, frequent safety inspections, whatever) if they can register the ship in another country with more lax regulations.
Cunning linguist