jhooper

Shootings Reported In San Antonio

Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:27 am

Shooting Reported At North Side Real Estate Office
3 People Reportedly Wounded

UPDATED: 4:06 p.m. CDT July 23, 2003

SAN ANTONIO (KSAT)-- Two women died and one woman was wounded Wednesday afternoon following a shooting at a real estate office on the city's North Side.

The shooting happened at the Century 21 Real Estate Action Realty office at 3520 North Loop 1604 East at 3 p.m., police said.

Police are searching for a suspect, described as a black man in his 40s, 5-foot-10-inches tall with a thin build. He also has a shaved head and was wearing black jeans and a white shirt. He was driving a late-model Ford Explorer

Refresh this page for updates and watch KSAT 12 News for team coverage.

[Edited 2003-07-23 23:30:07]
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

bigphilnyc

RE: Shootings Reported In San Antonio

Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:38 am

What, like there's no violence in San Antonio?

What about all the duels at high noon?
Phil Derner Jr.

Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:15 am

San Antonio huh?

That is NEWS! LOL....Besides the Alamo and The River Walk...I am surprised that place even has visitors..LOL.

HEHE...I can make these jokes, cause I am a New Yorker now.  Laugh out loud

bigphilnyc

Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:28 am

I bet they havent seen a gunfight since the Alamo.

Phil Derner Jr.

cedarjet

Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:28 am

What freaks me out is stuff like this happens daily in the US (11,000 per year), like in NYC yesterday, and certain elements STILL think gun control is a bad thing.

Not being anti-US here (I must confess to a fondness for our cousins across the pond) but the gun thing is WAY outta hand. I prefer the British model of no written constitution cos it allows flexibility in the way the country is run - as someone said recently, living according to a constitution written a couple of centuries ago is like reading Dickens and thinking that's still a valid description of London life.

Still, Americans run their country the way works for them, and (foreign policy excluded), it does seem to work rather well. And my sympathies to the victims, as ever.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

bigphilnyc

Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:36 am

I'll start a guncontrol thread tonight. Maybe yuou'll look at thigns a little differently or udnerstand them a little better once I explain a few things.
Phil Derner Jr.

modernArt

Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:55 am

Shooting aside, don't be dissing my hometown!!

Many Texans older than 35 will/might remember a famous shooting spectacle that occured in San Antonio. One Ira Attebury perched on top (or inside) of his motorhome opened fire on spectators at the Battle of Flowers Parade, Spring 1979. Several were killed and many injured.

FlyGirl, were you a San Antonian fomerly?

Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:12 am

ModernArt...

I am an Austin Girlie. But have been to SA...MANY O'TIMES....by brothers go to school there and I have other family there as well. It's cute...but there is NOTHING to do.

Austin on the other hand...is a BEAUTIFUL place. It is growing sooo much too. I can't believe it. I definitely want to move back one day and raise my family there.  Smile

cedarjet

Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:35 am

Ms F Girl, I bet San Antonio has just as much going on. Austin is better for you cos you know the area and the good spots. I bet if I went to either city I'd find them cute but cursed by the lack of ANYTHING to do. If I moved to either and spent a few months getting into a groove, there'd be plenty to do.

I prefer Dallas.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

HOMER71

Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:41 am

Austin has growing pains...the way the population is growing, their infrastructure has trouble keeping up (i.e. traffic is a nightmare, rivaling even Houston).

I'm from SA, and it's still the No. 1 city in Texas to visit (though I doubt I want to live there), with the Alamo, Riverwalk, Six Flags, Sea World.

I must say the new airport in Austin (Bergstrom) is nice, considering our firm designed the terminal! Big grin
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Hamfist

Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:16 am

I'll certainly give credit to San Antonio as a great place to live. I lived there from July 99 - July 01. Hot as hell sometimes, but the weather is usally good, the economy is dirt cheap for town its size and there is plenty to do. Spurs, Riverwalk, plenty of clubs & sports pubs, traffic is reasonable and easy to get around, the latinas are beautiful and golf courses galore.

As for the topic...sure, SA has some crime, but it's just like everywhere else. If you pay attention and stay out of the bad areas, you won't run into many problems. OK...so this shooting was in a decent area. Well, no town is immune!

Leave it if you want, but I'd move back anytime.

HOMER71

Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:45 am

Let me clarify, I doubt if I want to live there, because jobs in my profession (architecture) are scarce over there, and I have gotten used to living in big city with big-city amenities (arts, professional sports, etc.)

With that being said, I wouldn't mind living in SA, especially on the Northside (and Alamo Heights has a nice "town" feel to it). The hill country scenery is awesome, compared to the flat terrain of Houston.
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

BR715-A1-30

Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:43 pm

I visited my cousin twice or thrice when he lived in SAT. I LOVED it there.
Puhdiddle

737doctor

Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:28 am

I'm going to break my "no posting in non-av" rule for this topic. Lately I've been searching for a house here in Dallas. Irony of all ironies, my real estate agent's father owns the agency where the shooting took place. He greeted the suspect when he walked in and then went to his office. When he heard the shots, he called 911 and came out to investigate. It was then when he saw the suspect run out the door, jump into his car and speed away.

It sure is a small world.

Not only that, imagine being that close to an obviously unstable and violent person and somehow walk away unscathed.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.