DoorsToManual
Topic Author

Foreign Movies - Really Good, Actually

Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:32 am

I've just seen two great foreign (Independent) movies;

One, directed by a Swedish guy, and set in the former Soviet Union is absolutely amazing. It's called "Lilja 4-ever" about a 16 year-old girl who gets seduced by this smooth-talking twenty-something guy into starting a new (much better) life in Sweden.

In fact, she ends up being forced into prostitution instead. Having left her best friend behind, she becomes lonely, disillusioned and eventually loses the will to live, and later jumps off a bridge. Immensely sad, but if you can, you should definitely try to see it.

Link to the movie - please see the trailer...it's very brief, but do still have a look http://www.trust-film.dk/off_vis_film.asp?id=58

Another is "Dragonflies" from Norway http://www.trust-film.dk/off_vis_film.asp?id=19 (click to find trailer).

An unlikely couple's life is changed when an old friend, fresh out of jail, comes to pay a visit....it's very, errr, Scandinavian, but you should check it out.

Have you seen any indies lately?

RE: Foreign Movies - Really Good, Actually

Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:33 am

There is this Polish director who did a series of films based on the Colors of the French Flag....Blue, Red and White.

I have only seen the first film, Blue...but it is REALLY beautiful. It's in French, but honestly you don't even need to know the language to understand. It was WELL directed, acted and the cinematography is AMAZING.

I also loved, "LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL" I am sure many have seen that, it was a great film.  Smile

bobrayner

Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:51 am

Krzysztof Kieslowski?
Three Colours White is one of my favourite films. The ending is excellent.

Whilst we're in that vein - maybe Luc Besson?

Cunning linguist

CPH-R

Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:12 am

DoorsToManual,
you managed to mention Norway & Sweden, but completely left out Denmark!  Laugh out loud

And that is despite having one of the worlds most excentric directors (ok, Woody Allen beats him), Lars von Trier. He just did Dogville, he's previously done Breaking the Waves, Dance in the Dark, The Kingdom and a few other interesting films, and he is almost always nominated for a Palme d'Or in Cannes.

I would recommend the following Danish movies: Dogville, Breaking the Waves, The Kingdom (actually, this is a series, but there's only 4 and they're linked together like a movie).

DoorsToManual
Topic Author

Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:37 am

Hey man, no offence. You see, I'm a newbie to all this Indie stuff, so I won't yet have come across some of those films and directors that yourself and Mr. Bob mentioned above.

He just did Dogville

Another politically contentious movie? Gotta see it.....I read an article and have seen a photo of Kidman during the filming. I'll definitely keep an eye open.

Fortunately for me, Britain has a pretty good variety of Foreign Films constantly being released.

I've recently also seen "Historias Minimas" (Argentina) and "The Man without a Past" (Finland). Both quite similar - melancholic undertone, but still highly amusing throughout.

CPH-R

Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:43 am

Just kidding - it's just due to a friendly rvalry between Denmark, Sweden & Norway going on all the time  Smile So when the 2 are mention, it's my duty to mention the third Big grin

cedarjet

Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:05 am

Amelie is a revelation, check it out. Also from France, the incomparable Francois Truffaut, director, producer, screenwriter (in his only American acting role, he played the French scientist in Close Encounters, bizarrely enough). Most countries have a vibrant cinema, Australia only has 18m people but they're probably as big as Britain in the film industry, probably bigger. Muriel's Wedding, Moulin Rouge is awesome. Even Lebanon (3m people) produced a fantastic film called West Beirut, set at the beginning of the Lebanese war, with these kids who find it's more like an adventure than the nightmare it is for their parents. It was made by Quintin Tarrentino's Lebanese director of photography. I saw it the other night and it really rocked.

Also, I like foreign films from America - Network, Jaws, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver et al.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

seb146

Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:28 am

I have not gotten around to checking out the upcoming foreign/indie films coming to Portland. The last one I saw was Russian Ark-I saw that 3 times and will see it again and again! The final part when the ball is finished is amazing!

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

lindy field

Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:50 am

I highly recommend Werner Herzog's "Aguirre, The Wrath of God" and the French classic "Les Enfants du Paradis."

Or if you're of the more twitchy persuasion, "Run, Lola, Run."

mika

Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:05 am

Immensely sad, but if you can, you should definitely try to see it.

Particularly sad because this shit is happening everyday. Very often do i read about young girls taken to sweden from russia or somewhere else in the east to be used as prostitutes and sex slaves here. The pimps in charge for this are sub-human to me. It's sickening what some people will do for money.

CPH-R

Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:29 am

Lindy Field,
funny you should mention "Run, Lola, Run" - I have it on DVD, and I love it. Well, I love the music, but the story is funny too  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

jwenting

Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:55 pm

Foreign movies are a lot better in general than Dutch movies...

Though that says more about the Dutch movies than it does about foreign ones I'm afraid.
I wish I were flying