f.pier

Some Aviation Fanatic Scared To Fly?

Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:55 am

Is there some aviation fanatic who is really frightened to fly?

Boeing4ever

RE: Some Aviation Fanatic Scared To Fly?

Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:58 am

I refer you to the Tech/Ops forum where there is a thread about a Pilot who over the years actually developed a fear of flying. It happens.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

Matt D

Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:58 am

Well I won't fly. It's not like I'm afraid to fly. I simply refuse to have anything to do with this bogus illusion of safety and all of the hassles that Bush + Co. and the TSA have implemented. Bottom line: I don't like being treated as a possible criminal for wanting to go to an airport. So I've given up the hobby as far as taking pix, collecting stuff, or taking trips.

Now I'm still very nostalgic, and love talking about the "old days". I even updated my profile. Have a look.

covert

Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:36 am

I refer you to the Tech/Ops forum where there is a thread about a Pilot who over the years actually developed a fear of flying. It happens.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/tech_ops/read.main/64713/
none

Boeing4ever

Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:14 am

Covert, I need to start remembering to include the URLs!  Nuts

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

tranceport

Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:45 am

Unrelated to security issues, as I become older I am becoming more of a fearful flyer. When I hear a strange noise, the plane drops unexpectedly, we encounter rough air or the plane changes course abruptly or drastically I become quite anxious.

My situation still requires that I fly a few times a year, but due to security issues and loss of novelty, the whole experience has lost its magic. I flew from YVR to MEM last week, and the whole experience from check-in to the gate took slightly over two and a half hours. It's hardly worth it and has gone from one of the best parts of a vacation/business trip to a sort of uncomfortable, boring way to get from point A to point B.

I'd rather be sitting at the foot of the runway at YVR watching the A340s and B747s of the various foreign airlines floating overhead. Boarding an airplane used to give me a thrill, but over the years my interest has largely shifted to plane spotting and being an outside observer rather than a passenger.

Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:06 pm

The only thing that I truly fear is not flying.

-Normal

AirT85

Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:17 pm

I am scared to death of flying. If you feel like hunting read my response to "Aviation and You" on the civilav board. I really am that scared.
Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

UAL747

Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:56 pm

Turbulence really freaks me out. It all happened on a UA flight from HKG to LAX. We went through some clear air turbulence that put all the storms I have flown through to shame. That 747 was all over the sky. It wasn't during any meal service, so nothing was really thrown about, but several screams could be heard and those big wings were flexing up and down like I had never seen before. Then, to top it all off, after getting off that flight, I flew to DEN then on to OKC. We had to hold over OKC with CB clouds everywhere. Lightening, bumps, rain, and to make it worse, it was dark. The plane was all over the place.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

pacificjourney

Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:07 pm

I must confess to be somewhat afraid of flying. Not mind-numbing fear but if I don't have to, then I won't but if it's necessary then that's OK as well i.e. I don't avoid going places just because I know I will have to fly there.

My fear manifests itself as me being very edgy days before a flight but once I am actually on the plane then I am fatalistic, the whole thing is out of my hands so no point in worrying.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

kj76

Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:14 pm

I am a big fan of aviation and also very much afraid of flying.

I can't fly without alcohol or drugs but i still love aviation and everything around it !

jwenting

Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:54 pm

I've survived Aeroflot, I've seen the worst that can happen without actually crashing (and I've done that too though it was only a glider).

I'm not afraid to fly, mainly because I know what the sounds and shudders indicate.

That's not to say I'm not sometimes apprehensive when I know we're having some bad conditions up there, but no fear.

As to someone who's afraid of flying, look no further than Kim Jong Il, Dear Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea who according to official propaganda is a jetfighter pilot  Laugh out loud
I wish I were flying

avt007

Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:38 am

It's not too wierd- for example, I love the mountains, and would like to go climbing, but I have a terrible fear of heights! And somewhere there has to be a person that loves all forms of boats and ships, yet is afraid of the water.......