tbar220

Car Radio Problem, Help

Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:23 pm

Here's my problem. My AM radio in my car has decided to glitch on me. When my engine is on, the AM radio barely comes through an unbelieveable amount of static. Yet, when my engine is off, the AM radio comes through loud and clear. I don't have this problem with the FM. Does anybody know what might be the problem, and what do I need to do to fix it? Thank you.
NO URLS in signature

L-188

RE: Car Radio Problem, Help

Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:46 pm

You are picking up interfence from the ignition system of your car.

My first suggestion is that you look at all their wires between your radio and the antenna and see if any have their insulation worn through.

[Edited 2003-08-03 08:47:29]
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ybacpa

Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:33 am

Tbar220,
I second L-188's opinion. Chances are, especially if it is an older car, the filter on the electical system has either become disconnected or worn out. They aren't too expensive to replace, just make sure you get the correct model for your car.
SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

tbar220

Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:44 am

Any idea why this is only a problem with the AM radio and not the FM radio? I dont know a thing about cars, except how to keep them running, and to avoid accidents  Laugh out loud
NO URLS in signature

mjzair

Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:49 am

Go to radio shack, and describe the problem.. they sell a filter for that problem...

ybacpa

Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:52 am

Tbar220,
AM is much more susceptible to electronic interference due to the way the sound is encoded on the radio wave, and also due to the frequency ranges used. A very over-generalized explanation:
AM (Amplitude Modulation) alters the height (Amplitude) of the radio wave to transmit sound. Electrical interference can also alter the height of the same wave. FM (Frequency Modulation) alters the spacing between waves (Frequency) to transmit sound. Interference can not change the spacing between waves, and since the height of the wave does not determine the spacing between waves, electrical interferences has substantially less impact on FM waves.

Hope this helps,
yb
SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

tbar220

Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:03 am

Thanks guys, now where do I look to check if the wiring is ok?
NO URLS in signature

sccutler

Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:44 am

Most likely a failed filter capacitor in (or on ) the alternator. You can get a very inexpensive noise suppresor cap at Radio Shack (or any good car stereo store). Installs in minutes.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...