Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Job Interview Advice.

Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:12 pm

Well, I got the phone call from Circuit City. I have an interview tomorrow, and am seeking some advice on how best to get that job! I am a little nervous, afterall, I do want the job. I'm sicking of hanging around here with you fine folks.  Big grin Thanks!

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

MxCtrlr

RE: Job Interview Advice.

Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:29 pm

Dress nicely for the interview (polo shirt, dress slacks, dress shoes) and make sure you are presentable (showered, washed hair - properly combed or brushed, shaved, etc).

Arrive at least 15 minutes early for the interview.

Ask intelligent questions (not "How much vacation do I get?" or "What times are break times?"). Ask questions like "What are the chances for advancement?" (even if you don't plan on making this your "career" - it shows you view this job as more than just a paycheck).

Start the interview off by shaking the interviewer's hand firmly (but don't try to crush it) and making frequent eye contact with the interviewer (but don't stare at them like you're listening to the voices from your Rice Krispies).

Maintain good posture during the interview (and when walking into and out of the store - you never know who might be watching). Don't fold your arms across your chest.

Most importantly, speak like an educated person (but don't put on airs). Refrain from frequent use of slang talk like "you know", "dawg", "like", "dude", etc (this ain't "da hood, dawg") and don't be afraid to blow your own horn if it is merited (but don't be conceited - just state facts like "I saved the company $xx.xx by implementing this procedure", etc).

Hope this helps and good luck!  Big thumbs up Remember, if it comes down to you and one other candidate for the job, the first impression you make in the interview could be critical to you getting the job over the other person!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:47 pm

Thanks for the advice! Came in quite handy! The interview went well. Friendly people. They had me fill out an ABQ (Applicant Background Questionaire). After they look it over they'll call me once more.

MxCtrlr

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:44 am

Good luck - I hope you get the job (assuming you really want it)!  Big thumbs up Those were just tips I'd picked up over the years interviewing for different jobs and interviewing hundreds of folks for jobs myself. It always pays to make a solid first impression.

DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:03 pm

Well today I got another call. They asked me to come down and sign some more forms, then schedule to take a drug test. I get to pee in a cup!  Big thumbs up . I hope I get the job myself!

kevi747

Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:41 pm

Sounds like you got the job. If you're asked to pee in the cup you're pretty much hired, unless you smoked out last night or something.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:45 pm

Or if I've recently eaten a poppie seed muffin.  Laugh out loud Guess I should be careful, wouldn't want to be diagnosed with osteoperosis, and have the metabolism of a 70 year old woman.  Laugh out loud

Seriously though, I'm extatic. Finally, a DECENT job! And an electronics store...I could learn plenty. And perhaps some employee discounts on camera equipment.  Big thumbs up

MxCtrlr

Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:42 pm

If they're sending you for a piss test, you got the job (assuming of course you pass the piss test - STUDY HARD!)  Smile Congrats!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:16 pm

Well my piss test will be on Friday. Gotta study up, and improve my aim...I hear that counts for 40% of the grade  Big grin . I'm already suffering Best Buy vs. Circuit City wars in chat now.

L-188

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:19 pm

Have to agree,

When an employer is willing to pay for lab money to get a new person, that generally means you are pretty much in.

Screening costs money.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

milemaster

Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:05 pm

Taking a wizz quiz = you're hired.

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:47 am

Well, I'm definately in. I had to take the piss test on Saturday cuz the doctor was out on Friday. That really pissed me off.  Big grin Anyway, I got everything in, and now it's time to set me up.

Again, thanks for the advice!