airways1

What Career Should I Choose?

Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:56 pm

Since a lot of people from all walks of life frequent these forums, I thought it may be a good place to get some ideas or advice about what career I should pursue.

I have for a long time been considering my options, but no one that I have thought of particularly stands out as the right choice for me. Basically, I need some help deciding...PLEASE!

What I am looking for in a job:

I won't lie - money is a fairly important factor. It doesn't override everything else - that is to say, I don't simply want to just choose the highest-paid career. But I wish to earn enough so that I can have a family, and a nice house without ever having to worry about money.

I value the things I do in my free time, and therefore want a career that gives me enough free time. I am happy to work hard during my working hours, but I always want sufficient time when I don't have to think about work, and can just relax.

My qualifications:

I have a degree in physics from Oxford University.
I am at present researching for a D.Phil. (that is like a Ph.D.) and should have completed withing two or three month.
I can speak, but not fluently, french, german and chinese.

I do not really want to persue a career in science, or at least, I so far haven't thought of one that I'd enjoy. Perhaps someone has some suggestions.

Careers I've thought of:

Investment banking - good pay (I think - is it true?), sounds interesting, but I've heard that the hours are very long, hence little spare time.

Foreign office diplomat - sounds exciting. I would quite like to live in different countries, but it seems to be quite restrictive on family life, and I'm not sure how good the pay is.

So, any suggestions for anybody? Do you like your career? What do you do? What are the good and bad points? ANY suggestions welcome!!!

airways1

cancidas

RE: What Career Should I Choose?

Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:00 pm

become a pilot! but from a pilot, you should expect no other answer!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

L-188

Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:53 am

Never could figure out either.

The world could always use more welders  Big thumbs up

I personally am just passing the time untill I am old enough to perform my true occupation.......Greeter at Wal-Mart!

I would think with that educationyou could almost write your own ticket.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

LHMark

Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:51 am

I always thought I should be a flake presser in a fish food factory. For now, I'll settle for freelance writer.

Airways, have you thought of writing as a career? You have a specialization, and could probably do ok moneywise.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

milemaster

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:43 am

I can tell you what career path you should avoid..

Telecom.

Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:18 am

You know, if I had it to do ALL over again, and I couldn't be a pilot, I think I'd probably like to be a landscape architect--you know, design (or help design) golf courses. I think that'd be a hoot.

-Normal

But then again, that doesn't really help a Ph.D in Physics. Ever thought of astronomy? That'd be very cool too. Oh, and I'm sure you could get into meteorology very easily, having all that hard science background.

cancidas

Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:30 am

stay away from golf courses. golf courses are the evil of small airports! when small airports close, they usually get turned into new housing developments or golf courses(at least here in the us). i hate it when that happens! it makes me want to throw shit at those people from my airplane!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

STT757

Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:39 am

Become a University Professor, plenty of free time and you can forever live on a College schedule.

No 9-5 crap.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

goingboeing

Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:48 am

Pimp - you pretty much name your own hours and the pay is great

Crack Dealer - pretty decent pay, but you do run a risk of being shot

Gigolo - the pay can be great, and you meet some rich women

Seriously though...in today's market, mandatory 60 hour weeks are pretty common...meaning if you "only" put in 60 hours, you'll be viewed as a slacker and won't be in line for the big money. And I'll second what the other poster said...avoid telecom - used to be great, but today it really sucks.

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:13 pm

I think I'd only be willing to work 40 hours per week. And if that takes me out of the running for big money, then so be it. My time is more important to me than that. I don't love any job so much that I'd be willing to give my life to it.

-Normal

LSTC

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:19 pm

Brain Surgeon. Or Fry Cook....

Seriously though, aviation is so rocky right now I don't think I'd recommend anyone get in right now.

If I had it all to do over again I think I would have stuck to one of my first dreams....Fire Engine Driver, Toy Maker or Candy Taster....

Has anyone seen any openings?

Boeing4ever

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:35 pm

Physics eh? How about Aerospace Engineer?

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

airways1

Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Still can't decide, though...

airways1

DoorsToManual

Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:52 pm

Foreign office diplomat - sounds exciting. I would quite like to live in different countries, but it seems to be quite restrictive on family life, and I'm not sure how good the pay is.

You should check out www.fco.gov.uk

Having gained work experience at the British embassy in Bogota & their High Commission in Sri Lanka, here's what I can advise:

UNLESS you join the "Fast Stream", your pay will be poor and work will be boring (unless you like giving interviews for Visa applications...).

In the Fast Stream, as the name implies, your promotion prospects are good, and you might even land yourself an ambassadorship. Even then the pay isn't that good, but the perks are (and pretty much everything is taken care of).

They usually allow you to travel to your posting with a family.

I looked at it, and decided it wasn't for me - in a nutshell, there are more lucrative, more interesting and more travel-intensive jobs out there!