JAL777
Topic Author

It's Official: Schwarzenegger For Governor

Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:41 am

L-188

RE: It's Official: Schwarzenegger For Governor

Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:44 am

So now it is between Larry Flint and Arnold.

Way to go Arnold.

Apparently Gary Coleman has also filed to run.

Hopefully there will not be so many people on the ballot that it plugs up the contenders chances.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

galaxy5

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:05 am

well hopefully he wont let california go like he let his body go.

"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

JAL777
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:10 am

That's such a badly down photochop.

AvObserver

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:19 am

This is incredible! Just days ago, Rush Limbaugh had written off Arnold's candidacy as a non-starter. Wonder what he'll say about it tomorrow? Wonder if anti-SUV opponent Ariana Huffington will throw insulting barbs at Arnold as he parades around in his huge Hummer H1?

"A representative of Gary Coleman, who played Arnold Drummond in the 1980s sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes," filed the necessary petition signatures and paid the required fee to place the actor's name on the California ballot for governor."

Seems like he should also get him a pair of lift-boots so he can make eye-contact with voters at THEIR level.  Big grin

"Coleman, 35, who lives in Los Angeles County, could not be reached for comment. But his campaign treasurer, Steve Buel, who filed the paperwork in Oakland, told CNN that the actor's name "resonates with the voters."

Really? Can't be all that many who remember 'Different Strokes' after all these years-except that TV-brother Todd Bridges got into a lot of trouble with the law, as did once-adorable TV stepsister Dana Plato who got heavy into drugs and later died.

"In Ohio, Jerry Springer, host of the controversial self-titled talk show, told supporters gathered in a hotel in Columbus that he would not run for the U.S. Senate against GOP incumbent George Voinovich. Springer, 59 and a Democrat, said he couldn't get his message through the "clutter of the show."

GIVE ME A BREAK! The host of the WORST by far talk show on the air, an utter embarrassment and in insult to everyone's intelligence, a GUBERNATORIAL candidate? NOT happening; not in THIS lifetime! As for Jerry's message, what could that be? That unapologetically sleazy TV gets big ratings among the vast numbers of cultural illiterates he's fortunate enough to be able to pander to? And all the show IS, is clutter, take it away and there's NOTHING! Thank God some wisdom prevailed, the thought of this goon in politics sickens me!  Pissed

JAL777
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:24 am

Jerry Springer was mayor of Cincinnati.

Ariana Huffington is total moron... I'm not an SUV fan by any means, but I find it extremely ironic that she is so anti-suv, considering that she owns 9, yes 9, houses and a private jet along with a few super expensive cars. (The kind of cars with the same fuel consumption as the SUV).

vafi88

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:25 am

Galaxy5 is the most gullible person on this site...with that said...everyone can go on with their happy lives.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Alpha 1

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:32 am

Just what the country needs: another right-wing actor and political wannabe from California. I had hoped we had learned our lesson on that one already.

This is incredible! Just days ago, Rush Limbaugh had written off Arnold's candidacy as a non-starter. Wonder what he'll say about it tomorrow?

Anyone with a mind of their own doesn't give a rats ass of what Rush Limbaugh thinks.

KROC

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:34 am

If I ever wonder what Rush has to say...it will be the first time.

pacificjourney

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:36 am

The only time I ever wonder what RL would say is when I get the bill at an all-you-can-eat buffet !

What kind of bullshit name is Rush anyway ?
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

milemaster

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:41 am

That's such a badly down photochop.

Actually, that's a legit photo taken shortly after he had his surgery a little bit ago.

jhooper

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:44 am

Where's that last nail for Gray's coffin?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Alpha 1

Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:02 am

Where's that last nail for Gray's coffin?

Don't nail your coffins before someone is "dead". ANYTHING can happen in this circus.

Superfly

Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:49 am

That's it, I am runing for Governor!

All you need is $3,500 and 65 signatures.
I could pass a petion around the office and a few friends to sign and I am on the statewide ballot.  Smile

As Governor, I will:
Weaken all noise abaitment laws
Defy the Federal Government and legalize marijuana
Release ALL prisoners jailed on marijuana charges
Legalize prostitution
Raise registration fees on SUVs 5 times higher!*
Require a special license to operate SUVs*

* I would exempt those who need these vehicles in the rural areas and small businees owners
Bring back the Concorde

vafi88

Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:06 pm

Superfly - legalize squatting in all vacant buildings too!

Sh*t- I'd run for Superfly, atleast he's one person who's HONEST ( a word missing from what seems 99% of politicians)

jcs17

Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:18 pm

Thank you, God! Even though Arnold is a liberal Republican, anything is better than the joke that was the Gray Davis regime. 90% pension to state employees? Where the hell are we living? Germany? Sweden? That is fucking asinine. Arnold will win the election, mark my words. Arianna Huffington is a complete nutcase and one of the biggest hypocrites in the history of American politics. The thing that Arnold has, that no one else does...Star power and name recognition.

Superfly - legalize squatting in all vacant buildings too!

Yeah, nothing quite better than having already vacant buildings have their value decreased by having homeless people take craps all over it. That will really jump start a real estate market.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

deltairlines

Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:39 pm

Jcs, I'm completely behind you on this one. While Mr. Schwarzenegger is pretty moderate (at least compared to me), I am pleased to see someone who will restore fiscal sanity to the state of California. I wholeheartedly believe that Davis will be gone in a heartbeat...it sounds like the Democratic party in California is starting to crack, and with the Republicans running Simon, a "small-time" candidate in 2002, and he won 45% of the vote, I would say Schwarzenegger should be able to pull off that 5% based on the fact that most people already know who he is. Also, don't think that the RNC is going to miss out on this. With one solid candidate to back, and this being the only major election of 2003, the RNC will be backing Schwarzengger in every way possible.

Jeff

Superfly

Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:11 pm

Jcs17:
That will really jump start a real estate market.

The real estate market is doing fine here.

DeltAirlines:
Simon won 42%, Davis won 47% and the Green party candidate won 6%. The combined liberal/centrist vote was 53%.

Don't get your hopes up high, Gary Coleman is running too.  Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

vafi88

Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:17 pm

I guess Jcs17 Hasn't heard of jokes..what, can't say it??? J-O-K-E....how about in 3 languages??

cwapilot

Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:16 pm

The one word on this thread that perfectly describes this situation is CIRCUS. California is a three ring circus. Is it too late to give it back to Mexico, and would they even want it back at this point?

What is the point of recall laws anyhow? They create chaos and instability, cost TONS of money, and cause a loss of faith in the system. About two years or so from now, isn't there ANOTHER election anyway? Recall is already built in to most state constitutions in the form of IMPEACHMENT. If Davis has committed a crime, then he should be impeached. However, being a lousy governor, as far as I can tell, is not a crime. He hasn't created the situation anyway...California voters have! Democrats have solid control of the state...both houses of the legislature (by a wide margin), every single statewide office, and the vast majority of the Congressional delegation...not to mention both US Senators. The voters of California deserve to wallow in the mess they have created for themselves, and spare the rest of us the embarassment. They had a chance to dump this guy not long ago, when things were clearly pointed in this direction, and they opted not to. I just hope people outside of the United States are wise enough to realize that California is like the mentally challenged little brother of the family, and not representative of government in the US as a whole!
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

BlatantEcho

Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:19 pm

there are now close to 300 people running, I swear to God.

My votes for anyone who isn't a politician, to be totally honest with you. Looks like Arnold has the most interest, and he just might get my vote.

George
They're not handing trophies out today

cwapilot

Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:23 pm

I shouldn't reserve all of the bashing for California....I must admit, my home state, Illinois, as far as politics goes, is the drunk uncle of the family....but at least stuff like this doesn't happen.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

Boeing4ever

Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:23 pm

Well, personally, I feel Schwarzenegger is right on all counts about the crap in California. That state has lost all sanity. Of course with Hollywood in California it was inevitable that an actor would run.

The shit from California does nothing but piss off the rest of the country and alienate the state from the rest of the Union. Democratic states like Illinois look far-right wing fascist compared to the "Bear Republic".

Californians need to get it through their heads that they don't set the standards in this country try fruitlessly as they might. They just increase the rift between themselves and the other 49 upstanding states that actually contribute some good news. The rest of the country doesn't need to legalize the "gateway drug" and create wave after wave of pot heads who contribute nothing to society.

Californians must also get it through their thick skulls that federal laws apply to ALL 50 states. If they don't want to take orders from Washington, fine, LEAVE THE UNION! But be forewarned, remember what happened the last time some states got full of themselves.

If it isn't OJ murders, Kobe Bryant rape cases, Gary Condit, Scott Peterson, or rolling blackouts, it's hippies, and far-left nutjobs like Nancy Pelosi. The only news out of California is bad news.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

Boeing4ever

Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:11 pm

Just what the country needs: another right-wing actor and political wannabe from California. I had hoped we had learned our lesson on that one already.

You do realise that he's a moderate Republican. The last thing this country needs is another fringe candidate! Be he/she from left or right.

L-188

Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:47 pm

The field is getting tighter.

Reportedly Gallager has requested the documentation for filling.

L-188

Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:51 pm

Larry, I hate to tell you but that platfom makes Canada look like the conservatives are in power.

flyingbronco05

Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:45 pm

.....the Governator.....

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

Alpha 1

Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:55 pm

Jcs, there's no such thing as a "liberal" Republican. The Party Platform doesn't allow it.  Big grin

And I suspect, Jcs, you'd give a favorable reference to the devil himself if he declared himself a Republican.

CX747

Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:11 pm

"Just what the country needs: another right-wing actor and political wannabe from California. I had hoped we had learned our lesson on that one already."

Yes that we did. We learned about it in the form of one of the best President's this country has ever had. Yet again, the world is only sour grapes for some people.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Alpha 1

Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:15 pm

Yes that we did. We learned about it in the form of one of the best President's this country has ever had.

One of the biggest lies EVER fostered on the American people. Ronald Reagan was a decent President. He was not Top 10 material, simply for the damange his administration did to the U.S. economy. He did NOT bring down the Soviet Union, ala Superman, all by his lil' old self. The Soviet Union was collapsing of it's own accord by the time Reagan came into office. He did NOTHING to establish himself as a "great" president. He was decent-middle of the pack. But I'll give the GOP credit for playing up this lie so often that many gullible souls believe it as Holy Gospel.

The sour grapes, my friend, is from people like you who can't stand to be told the truth about Reagan.

CX747

Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:23 pm

Yet again, living in fantasy land. Ruined the economy????? The United States had extremely high economic growth during his administration and if you tell me it was all in the defense industry then your further gone than I thought. Reagan can't take all the credit for the great economy and can't take all the credit for the recession in the early 90s. Also, Mr. Reagan's administration DID bring an end to Communism in Russia. Whether or not you want to believe the facts is up to you.

IMHO Reagan is top 10 Presidential material. 1. Turned around the economy and everyone benefited from it. Don't tell me the rich got richer while the poor got poorer because it just isn't true. 2. He turned around the military and fostered a belief once again in American and American ideals. 3. Brought an end to Communism in Russia through a defense buildup and willingness to walk the line against them.

Did he spend alot of $$$ on defense? Yes, Reagan spent alot of $$$ on defense. Only because during the 1970s little or no $$$ was put into the military. Hmm sounds striking familar with what is going on right now. MAYBE if both parties spent appropriate levels of $$$ on the military, one party wouldn't have to continually pick up the tab.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Matt D

Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:30 pm

Congratulations Arnie:

For splitting the vote and all but assuring a Democrat victory. He other 298 "fringe" candidates will collectoively get no more than 2% of the vote. so they don't worry me.

I agree with Boeing4Ever: It's out of control here, which is why I've been looking to leave. I second your views 100%, so there is no need to re-type them.

flyingbronco05

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:08 am

The fact is that nobody can be a worse governor than Gray Davis.

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

BlatantEcho

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:20 am

Flyingbronco05-

Well said. I'm not asking for miracles, I just don't want to be lied to anymore.

Whoever said CA wasn't the most important state in the union is misinformed. I believe the economy of California would be like the #7 biggest in the world if it was counted on it's own. Surely bigger than any state in the union.

The central valley feeds half of this country anyway. Why get into a pissing contest? The state has the right to recall it's officials, and it is doing so. You can stand by and laugh at democracy, or cry that your states not doing anything to right itself.

No need to throw mud while others are trying to make things right.

George
They're not handing trophies out today

Boeing4ever

Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:23 am

However Alpha1, if Reagan's a decent president, why are you so against a "right-wing" actor from California? There is no such thing as a "liberal Republican", but there is such a thing as a "Moderate Republican"...and that's what Arnold is. You seem to have forgotten that not all Republicans are like Jcs17.

galaxy5

Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:57 am

JAL777
From United States, joined Jun 2003, 288 posts, RR: 0
Reply: 3
Posted Thu Aug 7 2003 03:10:15 UTC+1 and read 337 times:
That's such a badly down photochop

Vafi88
From United States, joined Apr 2001, 1339 posts, RR: 7
Reply: 6
Posted Thu Aug 7 2003 03:25:13 UTC+1 and read 316 times:
Galaxy5 is the most gullible person on this site...with that said...everyone can go on with their happy lives.

Nope thats an actual photo of arnie, just because you don't like it doesnt mean its not so. But i guess its just easier to act simple. But this whole California thing should get interesting, can you imagine Arnold as Gov and Gary Coleman as Lt Gov that would be hilarious kind of like the movie "TWINS"

"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

L-188

Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:20 am

Alpha1

Reagan most certianly did save the US economy.

By backing Paul Volkers contraction of the money supply in the early 80's he stopped the stagflation that was plaging the country since Lyndon Johnson started the "Great Society"

That alone puts him in the top 5 presidents.

Boeing4ever

Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:03 am

Regardless of whether the photo is fake or not, it is mentioned that it came after some surgery. He obviously got back into shape from the looks of things.

donder10

Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:09 am

1. Turned around the economy and everyone benefited from it. Don't tell me the rich got richer while the poor got poorer because it just isn't true

Since 1975, practically all the gains in household income have gone to the top 20% of households. -taken from the CIA World Factbook.Hardly the gospel as stated by the GOP.Hardly all due to Regan's tax policies but they played a large part.

On the surface Arnold looks more like a Clintonian Democrat than a Republican,even those on the left of the party.

GD727

Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:40 am

I think Boeing4ever hit the nail on the head. It's about time someone stepped up to try and stop California from spewing all this crap. Arnold may not be a Ronald Reagan, but he's conservative enough to straighten out the mess liberals have made in Golden State.

As for Ronald Reagan, I think he was definitely one of the best presidents we have ever had. I'd say he's in the top 5.

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

DoorsToManual

Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:09 am

This sort of thing makes a mockery of democracy. Does anyone know what this guy's stance is on 1) the fiscal crisis 2) the energy crisis 3) What's his view on off-shore oil drilling?

Where are his credentials? Does he have any credentials?

I'm sorry, but I think this system of being able to nominate oneself simply through money and a few signatures is not helpful to CA at all....it allows complete idiots through without a hitch.

The one word on this thread that perfectly describes this situation is CIRCUS

Can't disagree.

Boeing4ever

Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:35 am

Who says that public office can only belong to career politicians!? It is after all PUBLIC office.

JAL777
Topic Author

Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:38 am

He's been involved significantly in politics for quite a while.

DoorsToManual

Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:46 am

Who says that public office can only belong to career politicians!? It is after all PUBLIC office

Yes, and entry to study at Harvard is open to the public...that doesn't mean any old moron with a bit of money and fame can get in (or at least it shouldn't...). There are certain standards one must meet.

He's been involved significantly in politics for quite a while

Good, now what are his views on the main issues affecting CA? How does he plan to tackle them? So far, it's been a lot of posturing for the cameras and no concrete manifesto.

If he really cared about CA's problems, he would make clear what his stance on the state's issues are...so far, from all the signals we've been getting here in Europe, Californians don't have a (good) clue why they should vote this guy in.

Boeing4ever

Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:49 am

What I find ironic about your statements is that you don't even live in the US, but somehow know all about CA politics. Yes, Harvard is open to the public...but this is PUBLIC office, and the public isn't limited to lawyers and corporate bootlicks.

DoorsToManual

Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:57 am

Well, I apologise for being so informed them.  Insane

The fact that I live in Europe does not necessarily mean that my interest in politics begins and ends at the borders of Europe...I happen to take an active interest in the GLOBAL political scene too....

but this is PUBLIC office, and the public isn't limited to lawyers and corporate bootlicks.

You've made the same point twice now. Yes, yes, it's open to the public. My problem is that the system isn't regulated in a way which serves democracy (and the people of CA) best. I've already explained why above. But I'll repeat it anyway - because it allows any old moron to run for office with the only prerequisites being 1) Money 2) A loony army of followers.

To be exact, $3,500 + 65 signatures.

I'm sorry, but I think that's an abuse of democracy.

There is a $38 billion hole in the state's finances remember. Even after all the tax hikes (for which lawsuits have been brought in already), there is still likely to be $8 billion hole next year.

Trying to run a bankrupt state isn't going to be easy....

[edited to add stats]

[Edited 2003-08-08 02:22:10]

[Edited 2003-08-08 02:22:57]

Alpha 1

Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:34 am

As for Ronald Reagan, I think he was definitely one of the best presidents we have ever had. I'd say he's in the top 5.

You've bought into that lie too, eh? ROTFL.  Laugh out loud

Boeing4ever

Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:21 am

Ok DoorsToManual, here's a rundown of Schwarzenegger's history in the US and his credentials.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/949471.asp?0cv=CA01

You've bought into that lie too, eh? ROTFL.

He's entitled to his opinion! And Reagan WAS one of the great Presidents. I'd only rate him in the top 10 instead of 5, but he was one of the good ones.

prosa

Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:35 am

Arnold's chances will not be helped by the release of this photograph:
http://poetry.rotten.com/ahnold/ (Caution - PG-13 rated link).
The photo's said to be the real deal, taken when he was bodybuilding in Europe.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Alpha 1

Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:37 am

He's entitled to his opinion!

B4e, you make it sound like I'm not entitled to mine, or have no right to refute his opinion.

And I don't think Reagan was near the top 5-nowhere near it. I fail to see why so many think he was so great. He put the economy in a tailspin; his administration played fast and loose in schemes like the Iran/Contra affair. Oh, and they had a (snicker) "war" in Grenada. Other than that, what did he do? He did NOT bring down the Soviet Union-the USSR brought itself down.

There's nothing he did that warrents a Top 10 finish. He was in the top of the middle of the pack, nothing more, nothing less.