If I were to run for governor, these are what MY
views would be. I believe that this is how we can fix a good many of the problems in what was once The Golden State.
Here are my 30 areas and proposals:
1. Like with Superfly, give a blanket parole to all nonviolent/non thievery criminals. A person that commits a crime against him/herself should not be incarcerated for it.
2. Immediately cut all social programs for illegal aliens. (Basically, enforce Prop 187)
3. Fire all 40,000 new State workers that Mr Davis has hired since he took office in 1999. If we didn't need them then, we don't need them now.
4. Liquidate CalTrans (the bloated, inefficient state highway maintenance agency) and contract all highway/road work to private firms. They will do it better, faster, and cheaper. Also, all road work will only be done between the hours of 2100-0500.
5. Place a 5 year hiatus on all building and development in the state. Projects already under way would be allowed to be finished. But not a single new bulldozer will roll on any California dirt for 5 years. No more houses, warehouses, strip malls, whatever. Rehabilitate existing sites. But no new ground in the state will be allowed to be paved or built over. This state is already got more people than it can handle. Hopefully this will earn me some green votes, especially in light of #6.
6. Screw the Greens. An alternate route to SR
WILL be bored through the Santa Ana Canyon. Not to contradict myself with #5, but this road is desperately needed.
7. HOV/"Diamond Lanes" rules will be changed to 2 or more
LICENSED DRIVERS per vehicle. Mamma driving little 6 year old Scotty in the Diamond Lane is NOT taking another car off the road, since little Scotty isn't driving anyway.
8. Mandatory reflex testing for all drivers aged 65 and up. Those that don't pass, don't get to drive. Too bad.
9. Noise abatement on cars in residential areas during certain times of the day/night. i.e. anyone who drives a vehicle (so-called 'Rice Rocket' or straight pipe Harley Davidson) in a residential area at-say-2AM, and the sound emitted by the vehicle exceeds 85 dB, that vehicle will be impounded and the driver fined no less than $1000.
10. Eliminate red light cameras. I do not believe that a person should be able to be charged with a crime by a machine.
11. Welfare will be limited to non-renewable terms of 12 weeks. No more of this living generation to generation on it. Welfare cheats, if convicted, will be sentenced to life in prison and/or deportation (if applicable). Same with Workers Compensation. No exceptions for any reason.
12. English only. No exceptions. Can’t read the DMV drivers guide? Too bad. You don’t get a license.
13. Anyone found guilty of driving without a license would be sentenced to a minimum of 1 year prison labor.
14. Cap all traffic citations/tickets at $25, but double the “points” system. Enough of the “good ol’ boy network of bogus tickets. Cities will have to find another way to sustain themselves. The public has been extorted “in the name of safety” for too long now.
15. All sales taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, etc. will be frozen at current levels for 4 years.
16. Eliminate sales tax on private party purchases, inheritances, etc. (e.g. when a vehicle is sold private party)
17. Repeal all helmet laws on motorcycles, except for riders under the age of 18.
18. Lower the legal drinking age to 18, but double all fines and punishments for DUI convictions.
19. Eliminate mandatory insurance laws. But if an uninsured motorist causes death or injury, that party will be taken into state ran servitude to perform community service until that debt is paid off. The state will pay off the injured/killed so that they do not have to wait.
20. Take the educational system out of the political process. All proceeds from Lottery sales that were ostensibly to go to schools will be overseen by a new independent agency that will direct funds directly into the purchase of new textbooks, new schools, and hiring new teachers and increasing incumbent teacher salaries.
21. The losing side of any trial will be required to pay ALL
costs for both himself and the other side. This should eliminate a lot of frivolous litigation.
22. All political sponsorship will be limited to $5000 per donor, whether it’s individual or corporation.
23. On abortion: I will not take an official side: Let the two sides continue to hit each other with their signs and leave the rest of us alone.
24. Eliminate so-called “hate crimes” legislation. I believe that term is redundant. An assault, rape, or whatever against an individual is already “hate”. Doubling the sentence because the perpetrator uttered a racial slur is not an excuse. We need to enforce laws already on the books.
25. Charge flat rates for vehicle registration. A car is a car. How much one pays should not be determined by what the car is worth. Although SUV
’s and trucks will be charged more inasmuch as they cause more wear on the roads.
26. If the State does not pass a budget within the mandatory timeframe, all who have a vote on the matter will have their pay suspended for every day there’s an impasse.
27. Loosen up a lot of regulations here in the state. Too many businesses are leaving because doing business here has become too onerous and frustrating. A lot of people would be out of work if my plans were adopted. So I would need to lure business back. Of course, a lot of people would also leave the state, which would be good. So those two issues would cancel each other out.
28. Marriage: between a man and a woman only.
29. Crimes of thievery (like burglary, theft, extortion, robbery, etc.), which would no doubt initially skyrocket as a result of me cutting out the bottom on social safety nets, would be met with a MANDATORY 3 year minimum of State Service-trash/graffiti removal, etc.
30. Concealed firearms would be permitted.
[Edited 2003-08-07 15:17:54]