lehpron

4 Very Specific Wi-fi Networking Questions

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:57 am

I just bought my first computer, a Dell Inspiron, for college. I am very interested in getting a notebook card adapter and a router for my dorm room LAN jack. I already asked my school if it was okay and they said they don't have a problem with it unless it ends up interfering with others.

1) I can only afford the stuff in the 2.4GHz-band and since most modern cordless telephones these days are in the same range, do I run a risk?

2) I hope that I just hook up the DSL/broadband router to my school LAN wall jack, stick the PC-card in the slot and do the usual installation procedures and I am good to go. However I wonder how the router 'locates' me, does the router need a desktop to run?

3a) Since the school line is higher than cable, I honestly couldn't less care for certain max speeds available via wi-fi networks, just range. (In case my roommate's a dick and I'd want to be able to walk away and not hinder my school productivity.) How far can I go with a wireless system that uses the IEEE 802.11b protocol standard and are all routers/cards with this standard have the same range?

(BTW, my room window points into the campus, so I am only interested in Line-of-Sight range)

3b) Does these newer high-speed 22/54Mbps rates for the "b" standard allow for increased range as the regular ones are 11Mbps?

3c) Are these standards automatically Wi-Fi certified or do they have to say it?

4) I am deciding between a NETGEAR solution and a Microsoft wireless networking solution, but neither tells me a max range; I am going to school in 2 weeks and have a max of $160 to spend, any ideas?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

ybacpa

RE: 4 Very Specific Wi-fi Networking Questions

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:21 am

1. Yes and no, but generally speaking both will detect the other, and switch to a different channel in the 2.4GHz band.

2. Nope, it is that simple.

3a. The less obstructions, the better, although with distance speed will drop. If you don't mind only 1MB you can easily go a half mile with no obstructions. And yes, different equipment does have different range.

3b. I really don't know

4. Stay away from the MS products, I know three people that have had nothing but problems with them.
SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

lehpron

RE: 4 Very Specific Wi-fi Networking Questions

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:45 am

Thanks Ybacpa, especially for answering all the questions! Gotcha about the MS stuff, I was wondering why they were so cheap, the kit was $110...

About your #2, did you mean "Nope, it isn't that simple" as if you mis-typed or it really is that easy to put together?

Anyone else?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.