UAL747

Priest In Sex Abuse Scandal Killed In Prison

Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:25 am

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/23/geoghan/index.html
Priest in sex abuse scandal killed in prison
Geoghan serving sentence for molesting boy in 1991
Saturday, August 23, 2003 Posted: 6:39 PM EDT (2239 GMT)

John Geoghan

(CNN) -- John Geoghan, a defrocked Roman Catholic priest and convicted child molester, died Saturday after he was assaulted in prison, a spokeswoman for the Massachusetts Department of Corrections told CNN.

Geoghan was injured during an incident with another inmate about noon and died shortly after being taken to Leominster Hospital, Department Of Corrections spokeswoman Kelly Nantel said.

Geoghan became a central figure in the Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal. He was found guilty in January 2002 of molesting a boy in a swimming pool a decade earlier and sentenced to nine to 10 years in prison.

"The other inmate involved was immediately identified and isolated," Nantel said.

The Corrections Department is working with the Worcester County District Attorney's office in the investigation, she said.

"We'll share our results with the D.A.'s office," she said. "From there they'll decide whether charges will be filed. Obviously the other inmate will face disciplinary measures."

More than 130 people have accused Geoghan of sexual abuse during his 30-year career in six parishes. Geoghan was defrocked in 1998.

The Catholic Church paid millions of dollars from civil suits filed in connection with allegations against Geoghan. The church is still dealing with a settlement for others who say they were abused.

Earlier this month, a group rejected a settlement offer of $55 million from the Boston Archdiocese.

The Rev. Christopher Coyne, a spokesman for the Boston Archdiocese, spoke about Geoghan's death soon after the state's announcement.

Coyne said the church "offers prayers for the repose of John's soul and extends its prayers and consolation to his beloved sister Kathy at this time of personal loss."

Luise Dittrich, communications director of Voice of the Faithful, a support group of lay Catholics for survivors of sexual abuse by clergy, said Geoghan's death will not make life easier for his victims.

"It's a very sordid end to a very sordid story," Dittrich said. "It's our feeling that a violent act like this does a lot of negative things to the psyche of survivors who are trying to heal and trying to come to peace with what has happened to them. Any kind of violence like this will just stir up pain all over again."

She added, "It's just hideous all around."

The 2002 verdict pertained to only one case, in which he was charged with indecent assault and battery against a 10-year-old boy. The boy was a college student when he testified that Geoghan reached under his swimming suit and grabbed his buttocks while the two were in a pool at the Waltham Boys and Girls Club in 1991.

Geoghan said he touched the boy only to help him out of the pool.

A psychiatrist testified that Geoghan acknowledged having sexual fantasies about children.

"We discussed his ability to control his sexual fantasies and his sexual feelings about women and boys," testified Dr. Edward Messner, a Boston-based psychiatrist who said he treated Geoghan between December 1994 and July 1996.

Also during the trial, jurors in Middlesex County Superior Court heard from Archbishop Alfred C. Hughes, who once oversaw the Boston area.

In 1991, Hughes testified, he forbade Geoghan from going to the swimming club after a friend of the boy's family complained to the church.

Hughes said he made that decision based on a report that Geoghan had been proselytizing at the pool there and had conversations that could be interpreted as "prurient."

"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

ren41

RE: Priest In Sex Abuse Scandal Killed In Prison

Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:18 am

He'll sure be missed... Yeah sure

L-188

Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:13 pm

Wow! God works even in General Population
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

CPH-R

Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:07 pm

I hope the detainee who killed him gets his punishment upped by a couple of years.

L-188

Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:37 pm

Actually, I would wager there are a lot of people in Boston right now, that hope he gets his sentance reduced
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Dash8King

Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:35 pm

Did this world a favor.

bmi330

Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:43 am

1 less sick priest in the world s a good thing!

ren41

Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:09 am

The man that killed him, Joseph Druce, is a Nazi supporter and is serving a life sentence for murder. He will face murder charges for this attack.

http://www.whdh.com/news/articles/local/A25544/

R41

jhooper

Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:15 pm

Do they have the death penalty in Mass? or is life the most he'll face? (he's serving life anyway)
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

keesje

Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:54 pm

Some sick nazi who thinks he can become a hero (for some) by slauthering a sick old priest ..

he had nothing to lose anyway ..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

EGGD

Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:24 pm

Nobody deserves to be murdered...

I hope the murderer is brought to justice.

Boeing4ever

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:19 am

Yesterday's Sunday Mass in my Catholic Church includes the "Lord hear our prayer" session. The names of those who had died and those who mourn them were read. This man's name wasn't. Many within the Church, had no sympathy for a man who tortured youth. Of course the Church teaches forgiveness...

One thing is certain...he will NEVER hurt another child again. I agree with Keesje and EGGD's post...nevertheless, one less pedophile.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

jhooper

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:30 pm

Somehow I doubt this was some kind of coincidence that Geoghan was placed in a cell with a prisoner who was in jail for killing another gay man.

Westjet_737

Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:13 pm

I do not feel bad for this man, he f**ked up his life (literally) and paid the concequences. I am not saying he should of been killed, but he made choices that put him in a really bad place.

I sure hope they don't let the murderer off easy either...

Dash8King

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:38 pm

he f**ked up his life

And a lot of others lifes, I can tell you right now if I had been in the same cell I would have done the same.

tbar220

Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:12 am

I disagree with what a lot of people are saying here. This man did not deserve to die in prison. Nobody should just take the law into their own hands like this, and think they can bring about their own kind of justice. In this case, it was the man who killed the priest.

The courts gave this man his punishment, a jail sentence. They did not give him a death sentence.

As for the man who did this murder, he should have his jail sentence extended, and if the courts see it so, give him the death penalty. He killed another man in cold blood, and is already in jail for previously commited henious crimes.
NO URLS in signature

ren41

Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:36 am

he should have his jail sentence extended, and if the courts see it so, give him the death penalty.

He's already serving a life sentence, and there's no death penalty in MA.

R41

Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:48 am

I'm glad he's dead. I apologize if you think I'm being crass or just plain cruel, I don't care. No one should do that to a child.

One friend said that God works in mysterious ways and gave him what he deserved.

I think God said f**k him and let the devil take over on this one.

ouboy79

Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:00 am

Somehow I doubt this was some kind of coincidence that Geoghan was placed in a cell with a prisoner who was in jail for killing another gay man.

I love how some narrow-minded people think pedophilia in as another word for homosexuality. I think it has been more than proven that the vast majority of this country's child molesters are straight, middle aged white men.

Alpha 1

Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:55 am

With the eye for an eye mentality on this board, no wonder this nation is getting so f***ed up.

Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:57 am

**** a defrocked Roman Catholic priest ****

That is the funniest thing I have read in such a long time...

On a more serious note, I will reiterate what Tbar220 said in the post above.

The courts gave this man his sentence and it wasn't a death sentence.

mb

*yay* *ToyBox 2 - 26th October*

jhooper

Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:52 pm

Ouboy79 said:

I love how some narrow-minded people think pedophilia in as another word for homosexuality. I think it has been more than proven that the vast majority of this country's child molesters are straight, middle aged white men.

You quoted my comment so I'm going to assume this comment is directed at me. All I'm going to say is, you read so much hoopla in to what I said that my head is now spinning.

I never said that pedophilia is another word for homosexuality, nor did I assert that a disproportionate amount of pedophiles are gay. Let's examine the facts only: John Geoghan, who was a gay pedophile, was killed by someone who should have never had access to him; a person who had a documented hatred of both gays and pedophiles, and was in prison himself for killing a gay man.

If you were running a prison, would you place a drug dealer in the same cell as a man who hates drug dealers with a passion and is in prison for killing a drug dealer? Same analogy.

aa61hvy

Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:59 pm

I ripped him a new one while in jail.
Signed, JCS17
Go big or go home