EGFF
Topic Author

Could This Be The Best Premiership Year?

Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:47 pm

We'll, i have to admit ... im getting pretty excited now as the season starts to unfold and im getting the feeling this could be the most exciting year ever for a number of reasons ...

1.) Chelsea and there spending is making things quite exciting, now also with the new addition of Crespo ...
2.) Portsmouth getting off to a cracking start, it'll be interesting to see where they end up at the end of the season!
3.) I think this years title will go down to the final games, it will be that close.
4.) Also, with Man Utd and Arsenal getting off to good starts it's getting really interesting already  Smile

What's your thoughts? Do you think this will be the year the Premiership really shines?
Regards,
Shaun  Smile
All together or not at all

LPL

RE: Could This Be The Best Premiership Year?

Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:26 pm

The title will be an exciting race this year, but the race for UEFA places will be interesting aswell. You've got Blackburn, Everton and Man City who can beat anyone in the league on their day, and maybe Liverpool, who at the moment don't look anything like they're going to get Champions League qualification.

The only thing i'm certain about is Wolves being relegated Big grin

zizou

Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:22 pm

Newcastle look a bit shaky as well. It will be between them and Liverpool for that 4th Champions League place, as the other 3 are pretty much finalised. Porthsmouth have been very impressive, but it will be interesting to see what happens, when they have a few injuries to contend with.

EGFF
Topic Author

Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:09 am

"It will be between them and Liverpool for that 4th Champions League place"

You are joking right? Liverpool can kiss good-bye to any Champions League place this year and also UEFA Cup ... they will get mid table finish at best  Smile
Regards,
Shaun

Banco

Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:15 am

The key point for Portsmouth will be when they get injuries. Often, newly promoted teams have a reasonable first eleven, but the back up is a bit thin. Remember Bolton winning their first three games a couple of seasons back?

The contenders for the title look like being the usual suspects, with the possible addition of Chelsea if their new arrivals gel well, whilst Newcastle still look reasonable for fourth. For the UEFA Cup places, it looks like a competition between Liverpool, Everton, Manchester City and Blackburn, all of whom appear to have pretty decent squads, and may well win a pot or two between them this year. I suspect that Blackburn and Manchester City will be all out to win the Carling Cup because of the route that offers.

Teams to go down, well you have to fear that Wolves won't have enough to stay up. Bolton could go this year as well, with Leicester and possibly Leeds contesting the final spot.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

EGFF
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:44 am

Banco .... now you've come to mention it i think Wolves, Bolton and Middlesbrough will go down this year ...
Reading (there you go ben  Big grin) and Stoke for automatic promotion ... Nottingham Forrest winning the play-offs Big grin
Regards,
Shaun  Smile

Banco

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:49 am

No mention for West Ham Shaun? I think they've still got enough quality to come straight back up. Hope so anyway, the missus went into a summer long sulk this year....  Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

EGFF
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:54 am

Well, i have to admit i do like West Ham and it would be fantastic to see them back up in the topflight but i don't think they'll have the game plan to come straight back up, it'll take them awhile ... but fingers crossed  Smile
Regards,
Shaun

bigphilnyc

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:49 am

I jsut read this whole thread and still haven't a cluw what you folks are talking about.

Unless there's this sport called "Premiership" that I dont know about.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

EGFF
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:46 am

Phil, so why reply then? *sigh*
Regards,
Shaun  Insane

LGW

Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:09 am

Phil,

Bored again?  Smile

Ben Pritchard

PS Shaun knows what to say about Reading, I have tought him well  Smile

qantas744

Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:45 am

I think you might want to add Fulham to that list of relegation candidates Shaun, and hopefully Southampton too....but that is just wishful thinking Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

EGFF
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:05 am

Matthew ... your a wise man  Big grin ... Maybe we should start putting money on the table, who's in?  Laugh out loud
Regards,
Shaun

qantas744

Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:08 am

Are you sure you want to have to go back for another overdraft extension next May?

Matt

[Edited 2003-08-28 23:29:27]
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:13 am

I find every Premiership season exciting, this season is no exception. All the talk is of Chelski, we'll see.
Portsmouth could be the suprise package this year, they look good so far, Bolton could be in for another close scrap. Liverpool? Don't hold your breath, Houllier is under pressure to deliver. Arsenal? Yeah we'll steamroller everyone again.  Big grin
In Arsene we trust!!

donder10

Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:18 am

Yeah we'll steamroller everyone again.

Cue cheap reference to Ashley Cole taking everyone out.

EGFF
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:20 am

Donder10 .... that's what makes him one of the best left-sided defenders in europe  Big grin
Regards,
Shaun  Big thumbs up