triscl

Friendster Anyone?

Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:32 am

I'm new here and thought I would throw out a question. Everyone here probably on their computers a lot. So I'm curious as to what you think about Friendster.

(for those who don't know, it's an online friend network that allows you to have a profile with photos and a list of friends and links to their profiles. It kind of looks like a highly interactive dating service where not everyone is looking to date. The friends can also write you testimonials which show up on yours. There is a bulletin board to post to all of your friends, and a message/e-mail type thing that allows you to communicate with people. You can look at profiles of people you're connected to by up to four degrees of separation).

I myself have been sucked into the vortex. Through my friends (~75, obviously not all close) I'm connected to ~320,000 people. It's kind of addictive... and a little scary. what I have found it good for is keeping in touch with people I never would have been in touch with otherwise (from school etc.). Some profiles are quite a spectacle, and some might say there is a lot of ego wrapped up in all of it (duh).

It seems to be a big hit with yuppies and hipsters. I don't really have a sense of how widespread the phenomenon is. Just curious what the computer-savvy airliners.net people think...

RE: Friendster Anyone?

Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:19 am

I have a profile on there, but no friends.  Sad

KROC

Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:23 am

Hey Captain Stabbin - LOOOOOOOOOOSER!

Signed, Internet Geeks

Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:24 am

Well, if it wasn't for the Internet, I wouldn't have shared a "hot lunch" with Matt D.

Signed,

KROC

KROC

Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:27 am

Hot lunch? I prefer mine cold...and in multiple helpings.

Signed, CaptainStabbin

triscl

Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:31 am

Wow, hot lunch humor in three posts flat. a new record.

Personally I'm saving hot lunch for marriage.

jcs17

Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:15 am

Friendster?

Wow, internet geekdom has just reached a new low...
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

SophieMaltese

Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:09 am

I have a profile on there but I just posted to a couple of friends I actually knew on there and got bored with it. Occasionally I get an email from some dude trying to hook up and that is it.